Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Spinergy rev wheels breaking (OUCH)!!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-31-04, 02:46 PM
spinergy rocks

Bikes: lemond , trek mtn bike and raleigh.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone ever had a spinergy rev carbon wheel break? I have owned mine since 2000 and I ride hard and fast especially on decents. i just read a couple of storys about the front wheel breaking and doing an endo on the road(ouch)!!.. The rear should be fine, what do you think the weight factor would be for a rear spinergy and front older specialized tri spoke?? I really get scared now riding and wondering if the wheel is going to break. Spinergys customer service SUCKS. I have contacted them around a couple dozen times and no response.. Anyways any help would be great
Old 08-31-04, 03:16 PM

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted the Spinergy Tillium wheels, but I have heard nothing but bad stories about Spinergy. If you perform a web search on spinergy complaints, you will even find several web pages describing their bad luck with them. My LBS even told me to stay away from them. I can't see how that company is going to stay in business much longer!
Old 08-31-04, 03:29 PM
ganbatte!

Bikes: '06 Vanilla touring, '09 Vanilla cx, Zanconato cx, Moots Psychlo-X RSL prototype, Nagasawa track, Kalavinka track, Black Cat 29er, Cannondale Rize 2 26er, Serotta CRL Legend

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weird thing is, I've been hearing bad stuff about them for YEARS yet they're still around. More than anything, the chipping problems made me nervous. I'll stick with my Rolfs, thanks.

-s
Old 08-31-04, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
never buy spinergys. the end.
Old 09-01-04, 07:22 AM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, the Spinergy wheels to avoid are the Rev-X series. The ones with the 4 blades on each side. I have Xaero-X wheels on my bike, and they are great. The Rev-X had some issues, which are detailed in many places on the web, but I know many people who rode them trouble-free for years. They have a fairly strict weight limit, and if mistreated, the spokes can be damaged. Their newer wheels, the Xaeros, and Tilliums, are light, strong and fast.
Old 09-01-04, 08:16 AM

Bikes: 2002 Giant OCR 3, 2003 Giant OCR Elite, 2004 Giant TCR, 2004 Giant OCR Touring, 2003 Giant Iguana, 2004 Cannondale Ironman 800, 2005 Giant Trance 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
No, the Spinergy wheels to avoid are the Rev-X series. The ones with the 4 blades on each side. I have Xaero-X wheels on my bike, and they are great. The Rev-X had some issues, which are detailed in many places on the web, but I know many people who rode them trouble-free for years. They have a fairly strict weight limit, and if mistreated, the spokes can be damaged. Their newer wheels, the Xaeros, and Tilliums, are light, strong and fast.
Good luck dealing with Spinergy if you ever have problems with them!
Old 09-01-04, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brunning
never buy spinergys. the end.
Agreed! I broke the rear axle going over a one inch, raise crack on my Spinergy. Never had any problems with other brands, going over the same crack. Will never buy spinergy again.
Old 09-01-04, 02:57 PM
spinergy rocks

Bikes: lemond , trek mtn bike and raleigh.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I take the front one off?? Just use my specialized tri spoke and keep the rev x rear on??
Old 09-01-04, 03:39 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Truth is, no one knows the long term wear rate of carbon fiber, especially for parts exposed to sunlight, which is known to break down most polymers.
CF on wheels scares me because as strong as it is, when it fails, it really fails big, not like bending metal.

They look so cool though....

Old 09-01-04, 07:05 PM
Nothing But Bianchi

Bikes: Bianchi Giro, Bianchi Funny Bike TT,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Spinergy Xaero's, Love them, Havent had one problem.
You always hear the negative, but never the positive unless its the "in thing"
The Spinergy Rev X is the four spoked wheel, as with any carbon wheel I am sure after time you will have some problems, thats why I opted to go with the spoked wheel and I love them, smooth, light, strong and fast.
some people like Trek, others like Giant, I like Bianchi.
Guess its all a matter of what you prefer........
Old 09-01-04, 07:30 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
Truth is, no one knows the long term wear rate of carbon fiber, especially for parts exposed to sunlight, which is known to break down most polymers.
Everytime someone brings up CF, someone else has to raise the point about UV degradation of the epoxy. While this is true to an extent, I know of no CF epoxy that doesn't use a UV stabiliser which prevents this action. It's really a non-issue for modern CF components.

Originally Posted by DocRay
CF on wheels scares me because as strong as it is, when it fails, it really fails big, not like bending metal.

They look so cool though....
Again, CF's notch sensitivity and catastrophic failure properties are widely exagerated in a lot of cases. Many modern CF structures use multiple layers which mitigates the effects. Most manufacturers will use a multi-directional weave as the last layer to provide for graceful failure and reinforcement as well as combatting impact damage.
Old 09-07-04, 09:06 PM

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out riding on Monday afternoon, noticeda slight wobble in my front Xaero-X. Figure that after 1 1/2 years of my 200 lbs and bad New England roads, they must finally need a truing up. Monday night, ttok the front wheel to fix it and found a broken spoke. I'm amazed at how little out of true a 20 spoke radially laced wheel was with that 1 spoke gone. The LBS replaced the spoke and trued the wheel in about 5 minutes. I can now say with some certainty that these wheels are pretty solid. I lost the original front wheel (Ambrosio rim and Campy hub) when it tacoed after losing one spoke. The Mavic Reflex I replaced it with was okay, but the front hub eventually got really buggered up when 3 bearings snapped into hemispheres (happened twice in a 5 year period). I'll stick with my Spinergys.
Old 09-07-04, 10:33 PM

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In school one of the ~180-200lbs riders went though several of these but none of them were a catastrophic failure. Look your wheels over well before each ride.
Old 09-08-04, 12:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the RevX didn’t spontaneously break apart, I would have a pair right now. Aero wheel for super cheap. It’s a shame that they are such crap.