Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wahhhh

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-04, 07:00 PM
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Wahhhh

Yesterday Richmond got between 12 and 17 inches of rain in a nine hour period. Came home early this morning-- couldn't go anywhere in it earlier, cars were being swept into the James river, manhole covers were blowing off the streets, anywhere low lying was underwater. Even if I had my bike with fenders on it last night, I wasn't going anywhere. Heck the TV showed what looked to me like a four-foot surfing wave in the bottom.

My basement never leaks much, and if it does, it promptly drains. Checked the house, basement last--and there's two and a half feet of water in it. Whole bikes were underwater... my parts drawers, which were up on blocks, were submerged up to the top shelf. One of my kayaks was floating around bumping into things. The water had come up thru the drain-- everyone in the neighborhood had the same problem.

Fortunately, none of my riders was in the basement, nor were any of my bike tools. The good wheelsets-- the Campys, Phils, and Normandys, were all hanging from the ceiling out of harm's way. But most of what was in the basement lake was the assortment of found beaters and parts I use to fix bikes up for folks who need them. Most all of it is salvagable, thank goodness, but it puts a crimp in my activity.

I shouldn't complain-- several people have died, and they're still hunting for some missing ones. I'm okay, I've just got a wet basement I really needed to clean anyway. Just wanted to vent.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 08-31-04, 08:25 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Sorry about the flooding, Poguemahone! When I was growing up in Los Angeles, my family was flooded out twice with water (defective storm drain) and twice with mud (mudslides after the big 1961 brush fire). My father then moved us to the lowlands of Huntington Beach, tempting fate, and was never flooded again.

Thank you for another great argument for hanging bikes and parts from the ceiling, joists, or rafters.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-03-04, 07:11 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Poguemahone,

Get ready, coz Frances is gonna visit ya'll too.
Glad you are ok, saw that standing wave on the news and
thought it was the dam at little falls and wondered how
they transported it to Richmond.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 09-03-04, 08:26 AM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I grew in Richmond and still have family there. Fortunately everyone was OK. I remember losing power and having to get water from the National Guard after Agnes and Camille. I guess Shockoe Bottom is a mess again.
Old 09-03-04, 01:22 PM
commuter

Bikes: 1979 Peugeot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aww, jeez! Glad none of your regular vehicles was submerged. Good luck cleaning up; don't breathe any silt dust!
Old 09-07-04, 06:56 AM

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I've got some extra scuba equiptment you could use. . .

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.