Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear wheel or new bike for trainer? Please help.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-12-10, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Cannondale CAAD6 and sometimes am limited to riding on my Cyclops trainer due to our weather or watching the kids. The rear tire is getting chewed. Thinking of either a rear wheel to swap out, or maybe a cheapo form BikesUSA or Bikesdirect for about $350 that I could pop on and leave there. Having some challenges with the rear wheel. Do I order a rim and just cassette? And if so what size to fit my Tiagra 9 speed rear cassette? The LBS gave me a price of about $250 for rear wheel/cassette/tire all assembled but I just need something to grind on. No luck on Craigs list. Any thoughts? I figured if a rear wheel/tire/tube/cassette would be $200 I might just buy a cheapo bike and leave it on there and replace the rubber as needed.
Old 05-12-10, 07:44 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Any 700c rim laced to a 8/9/10-speed Shimano cassette compatible hub with 130mm spacing. In other words: a standard rear road wheel. Should be able to find a wheel on CL for pretty cheap.

Don't worry too much about quality. Your weight will be supported by the rear axle, not the rim. Even if you can't get it as true as you'd like it, just open the brake up while on the trainer.

If I were you, I'd get the same range cassette as the one you use on the road.
Old 05-12-10, 07:53 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There is no need to drop $350 on a new bike to be dedicated to a trainer. Watch Craigs List or visit thrift shops for any bike in about your size and dedicate it to the trainer. You should get away for $50 or even less.

Weight, brake and shift quality and frame material are non issues since you won't be riding it on the road. Fit a saddle that you like and adjust the position to match your road bike. If you need to change the stem, bars, etc., buy the cheapest heaviest you can find.

My first trainer bike was an old department store quality Schwinn I got used for $35 and put about $25 more into customizing it to fit.