Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perception of Time

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Perception of Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 09:03 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Perception of Time

A unit of time is constant. 30 minutes is always 30 minutes. But is it?

My wife and I cycle the same routes all the time. We leave our house and cycle to various destinations south. It takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get there. We drive from our house to the same destinations and it seems to take forever even though we are on a freeway going 65 mph. We comment all the time how long and far it is to drive. But on the bike, time seems to get warped in some way. It seems to speed up. It feels like we just leave the house and we arrive. Albert may disagree.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 05-14-10, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Time is an illusion; lunch time doubly so.

Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 05-14-10, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
when i'm on my bike, i am focused on avoiding potholes, broken glass, cars not seeing me, a parked car opening a door in front of me, pedestrians, etc. And an hour goes by so fast. In a car, I am changing the radio and have trouble sitting still when stuck in traffic and it seems to take forever to get anywhere

I think this quote sums it up best: "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein
Old 05-14-10, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Last week, I took a ride to check out what time a dance was and what time they served food. It was at a VFW. Anyhow after I checked it out and rode home, I let everybody that was going, know what the scoop was. We took the cars out there that night and all 14 of them couldn't believe I would ride that far. It didn't feel that far to me, as it was only 40 miles.
Old 05-14-10, 09:53 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Time is just our perception of a physical phenomenon, physics as we know it is just an imprecise model, none of it is real.
We know that average speed is just distance traveled divided by perceived time to travel the distance.
I sometimes ride with guys who tell me their average speed is well over 20 mph, they invite me to ride with them and I cringe knowing my average speed is more like 18 over the course agreed upon. Usually what happens is I have no difficulty so their measurement of time must be different than mine - they must be experiencing relativistic time dilation effects which are not well model by our current understanding of physics. I suspect you are experiencing these same issues although in your case I am sure it does not skew your measurement of elapsed time - only your perception of elapsed time.

I hope that clears it up - there will be quiz at the end of class
Old 05-14-10, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Our time on this earth is finite. If they want to burn theirs up faster, so be it..
Old 05-14-10, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
perception is reality
Old 05-14-10, 10:51 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have 3 or 4 big hills to climb on my commute. The first is about 10 minutes long; the second 15 minutes; the 3rd one 10 minutes, and the 4th one is 10 minutes. I *know* this because I've done the commute hundreds of times in the past few years.

About a month ago, I actually timed each of these climbs with a real clock.

The first "10 minute" climb clocked in at 90 seconds. The second one -- 4 minutes. The third one -- 3 minutes. The 4th one -- 2 minutes.

I guess my commute is not as tough as I thought it was.
Old 05-14-10, 11:11 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hermes, I agree with your assessment of riding vs. car travel to an extent. last night, after warming up for 30 minutes, the 2 hr Z3 interval seemed to take about 1/2 a day to complete.
Old 05-14-10, 11:55 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It's like work time and fun time, weekday time and weekend time, work week time and vacation time. The more you like what you are doing, the faster the time seems to go by.

That kind of sucks when you think about it.
Old 05-14-10, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
We're confusing the issue of quality with that of time quantity. They are not the same thing. When we dislike something we want it to end now, not in 10 minutes, but now. When our experience is of high quality it seems it can't last long enough. One of the things that has gotten me through difficult or low quality times is the reality that it too shall pass. I love wooden roller coasters and will stand in line for an hour (if it's a good coaster) for a 90 second ride.
Old 05-14-10, 12:24 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
perception is reality
Is this real?
Which reel?
The last reel...

Of this vintage motion picture...

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-15-10, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Is this real?
Which reel?
The last reel...

Of this vintage motion picture...
"High School Madness", starring Peorgie Tirebiter....

SP
Bend ,OR
Old 05-16-10, 12:06 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes I feel like you do Hermes. As long as I don't have to be anywhere right after I get home from a ride. But with the information provided by most modern bicycle "dashboards" with a computer that tells us speed, distance, elevation gain, and heart rate and oh yes time I often get brought back to reality several times during a ride. 30 minutes is 30 minutes when you have to be somewhere in 30 minutes. If not anywhere you are in 30 minutes is where you should be.
Old 05-16-10, 05:45 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
Time is just our perception of a physical phenomenon, physics as we know it is just an imprecise model, none of it is real.
Yup, and if you ride toward a clocktower really really really fast, the hands will move backwards.
Old 05-16-10, 05:57 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Yup, and if you ride toward a clocktower really really really fast, the hands will move backwards.
There are only a few bikes which can be ridden that fast, they tend to be rather fragile due to their light weight (they have a significant portion of anti-matter in the frames). When they break it takes forever to find a good quantum mechanic to work on them.
Old 05-16-10, 08:37 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Riding one of these can avoid confusing space time issues:

Old 05-16-10, 08:52 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
One time I decided to explore a route in the area where I was doing weekly century rides. I took the car to see where the route went. I could not stand sitting in the car for that long. It drove me nuts. I gave up and came home before exploring. It seemed Like I was in the car forever.
Old 05-16-10, 09:26 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
"Time flies when you're having fun". On those days where the commute is enjoyable, it's over too quickly, but on days with a stiff headwind and going uphill all the way home, it seems like it'll never end.
Old 05-18-10, 10:50 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Perception of time is one thing, but I remember doing some racing in Trinidad back in the late 90's. I had the very distinct sensation that time moved more slowly near the equator. Think of it this way: our sense of time is shaped by our perception of the environment. We think of one day as 24 hours, one revolution of the planet. However, if you are at the 45th parallel (say somewhere in Oregon), you are rotating around the planet's axis at a slower speed than someone at the equator. So as you look around in Oregon, things are changing faster in one hour than if you are in Trinidad, where the hour stretches out to match the distance you travel around the earth's axis. A difficult concept to explain, but it involves the space-time continuum. The faster you go, the slower time must go.
("The faster we go, the rounder we get" - The Greatful Dead)
- L.
Old 05-18-10, 11:42 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
When Trica and I go to San Francisco the drive home isn't so bad, but the last 20 minutes kills us.

I teach, I assure you the last two weeks are well over half a semester.

Distance too. A century fries me. A double? Well, 100 miles is half way, and I feel good at that point. The next 80 hurts, the last 20 and I'm a horse looking to the barn.
Old 05-19-10, 03:00 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I have 3 or 4 big hills to climb on my commute. The first is about 10 minutes long; the second 15 minutes; the 3rd one 10 minutes, and the 4th one is 10 minutes. I *know* this because I've done the commute hundreds of times in the past few years.

About a month ago, I actually timed each of these climbs with a real clock.

The first "10 minute" climb clocked in at 90 seconds. The second one -- 4 minutes. The third one -- 3 minutes. The 4th one -- 2 minutes.

I guess my commute is not as tough as I thought it was.
The theory of relativity can be used to demonstrate that uphill time is different from downhill time.
Old 05-19-10, 05:23 AM
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
A unit of time is constant. 30 minutes is always 30 minutes. But is it?

My wife and I cycle the same routes all the time. We leave our house and cycle to various destinations south. It takes 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get there. We drive from our house to the same destinations and it seems to take forever even though we are on a freeway going 65 mph. We comment all the time how long and far it is to drive. But on the bike, time seems to get warped in some way. It seems to speed up. It feels like we just leave the house and we arrive. Albert may disagree.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Einstein once described his Theory of Relativity to a reporter like this:
"You sit on a park bench next to a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. You sit on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. That's Relativity."
Old 05-19-10, 08:36 AM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Out of the wheelchairs. Let's Dance!

Old 05-19-10, 08:42 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
On the bike I don't spend much time thinking about it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.