Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fixed Gear Bike Friday Tikit [One Way Tikit]?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 09:15 AM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I know the wise and wonderful Walter L... rides a fixed gear Tikit...does anyone else ride such a beast?

I've been riding a fixed gear Surly 1x1 and have really enjoyed the simplicity of a fixed gear and not missed the shifting at all...

It seems to me a folder would benefit even more from the simple bombproof drivetrain you get with a fixie.
Old 05-14-10, 09:43 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the San Francisco area. A fixie would limit me to 5% of the roads I regularly ride
I went the opposite direction and added a Sclumpf Speed Drive to my Tikit.

I do agree with you about the simplicity of a fixie. It's surprisingly fun not to have to mess with gears and such. Being an old fart, though, the closest I come to a fixie is the Sachs Duomatic 2 speed kick-shift hub on my Moulton MK3. Same kinda simple elegance. Plus, no cables going to the back wheel.

Old 05-14-10, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, I'm calling you on the mat for this one. You rebuilt a Moulton MK-3, custom paint job, decals, and everything, then stuck Bike Friday's crummy stock seat on it? What the...?
Old 05-14-10, 12:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is the rear OLN spacing on the one way tikit? If its 120 mm, the new Sturmey archer S2/S2C should fit. That would be a sweet set up for winter riding
Old 05-14-10, 02:14 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by feijai
Okay, I'm calling you on the mat for this one. You rebuilt a Moulton MK-3, custom paint job, decals, and everything, then stuck Bike Friday's crummy stock seat on it? What the...?
Gulp! You caught me...

You'll be happy to know that a Brooks saddle has replaced the BF one.

On that point, I have been wondering how Vik has fared with the stock BF saddle that I see in his pictures. I can't get used to the stock BF saddle. Makes my arse go numb really fast....
Old 05-15-10, 04:38 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SesameCrunch
On that point, I have been wondering how Vik has fared with the stock BF saddle that I see in his pictures. I can't get used to the stock BF saddle. Makes my arse go numb really fast....
Funny thing is I'm normally a saddle snob and slam a Brooks B17/Flyer or a Selle Anatomica saddle on all my bikes....but the stock Bike Friday saddle has lasted on my Tikit for nearly 3 years because it's one of the extremely few stock saddles my butt doesn't mind. I wouldn't ride 100kms+ a day on it, but my Tikit generally sees short 1-10km rides...although I did fine on one 25km ride with that saddle.

Saddles are personal which is why most bike companies don't spend a ton of $$$ on stock saddles since even a $200 saddle won't make a lot of people happy and it's better to provide a lower cost saddle and let folks put on whatever saddle makes them smile.
Old 05-15-10, 06:56 PM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I live in the San Francisco area. A fixie would limit me to 5% of the roads I regularly ride
I went the opposite direction and added a Sclumpf Speed Drive to my Tikit.

Schlumpf?...nice...I haven't found a hill in town I can't climb on my fixed gear so in these parts the lack of gears doesn't seem to be an issue.

How does the kick shift hub work?
Old 05-15-10, 08:43 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Schlumpf?...nice...I haven't found a hill in town I can't climb on my fixed gear so in these parts the lack of gears doesn't seem to be an issue.

How does the kick shift hub work?
The Duomatic kick-shift hub has 2 speeds internal to the hub, plus it has a coaster brake. You shift between the two gears by pedaling backwards a little, hence the kick-shift term. When you pedal backwards fully, the brake engages. It's cool. I've had the hub open to play with the innards - it's made like a tank.

The Schlumpf on the Tikit is very nice complement to the stock 8 speed gearing. It's gives me a 65% higher second gear in the front. Very nice range now. Tikit to ride anywhere!
Old 05-16-10, 03:17 AM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Schlumpf on the Tikit is very nice complement to the stock 8 speed gearing. It's gives me a 65% higher second gear in the front. Very nice range now. Tikit to ride anywhere!
Is is a simple, easy install? Did you do it yourself or have a bike shop do it? I'd love to have a bit higher gearing on my Season Tikit.
Old 05-16-10, 07:41 AM
cyclopath

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
Is is a simple, easy install? Did you do it yourself or have a bike shop do it? I'd love to have a bit higher gearing on my Season Tikit.
Read this Schlumpf article...given the cost and the req'd modification to the BB shell I'd let a knowledgeable LBS handle this unless you are a hardcore DIY type. Keep in mind many LBS will have never heard of a Schlumpf so pick your bike mechanic wisely.

BTW - depending on how much more gear range you need Shimano is coming out with an 11 speed Alfine IGH for late 2010/early 2011. Going with it would be lighter and cheaper than a Schlumpf as well as making shifting easier. You'd also get to keep your current IGH wheel as a spare or for another bike....however you don't get as much range as a Nexus 8 /Alfine 8 and a Schlumpf.

Last edited by vik; 05-16-10 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-16-10, 07:54 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What Vik said....

Schlumpfs are not the most value-oriented gearing solution out there