Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Gios Torino Super Record

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-10, 11:30 PM

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia, 1981 Bianchi Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gios Torino Super Record

So, as some of you may know, I somewhat impulse-bought a Gios Torino Super Record last week on Ebay. It's in sad shape right now...its been poorly repainted and has some mixed parts--Koga Miyata seatpost, threadless stem adapter, 90s Campy (Veloce maybe?) group, mismatched tires, etc.

I've decided to make this a restoration flip. I'm having it professionally painted in the original blue, applying correct decals, cleaning up/polishing all parts, putting on Cinelli bars/stem, bartape, Campy seatpost, Veloflex tires, etc.

In its current state, it looks like this:

When completed, it should look like Ray Dobbins' former Gios, only with modern Campy and without any drillium/custom details.

Before beginning this project, however, I want to make sure it will be worth the investment. I'm not looking to make a killing; by any measure, the amount of effort I'll be putting in will far outweigh how much I'd like to get for it in profit.

So...how much would you expect me to be able to get for it? Would it make more sense to replace the incorrect group with NR or SR, or will this eat into any profit I could make?
Old 05-15-10, 11:44 AM
vjp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you got it REALLY cheap then maybe you can make a few bucks by repainting/decals and selling it as frame/fork. Be warned, that Gios Blue is VERY difficult to match and the pro painters that specialize in restorations and who CAN match it would be in the range of $800+ for painting and decals. I doubt that you would get that for it re-done on ebay.

vjp
Old 05-15-10, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Check ebay completed listings. A Gios was recently auctioned.
Old 05-15-10, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There have been a few sold in the recent past, but I'm having trouble deciding on what would be fair for mine.

I was thinking of asking $900, but taking less. Is that excessive for a respray?
Old 05-15-10, 12:51 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I think $900 might be alot for a repainted bike with a frame of undertimed year and exact model. if you only plan to sell the bike after you repaint why not simply clean and tune it and sell it like it is and maybe make a few bucks rather than risk loosing alot?

I don't know about $800 but I for a good shop that would apply correct decals, Including the correct "Repaint Columbus" decal I am sure you will be looking at spending atleast $500+ and there might be quite a wait.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-15-10, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I think $900 might be alot for a repainted bike with a frame of undertimed year and exact model. if you only plan to sell the bike after you repaint why not simply clean and tune it and sell it like it is and maybe make a few bucks rather than risk loosing alot?

I don't know about $800 but I for a good shop that would apply correct decals, Including the correct "Repaint Columbus" decal I am sure you will be looking at spending atleast $500+ and there might be quite a wait.
This frame will be of interest with the correct components only, so while I do not know the initial cost, selling it with a correct headset or just a frame and fork will be best, and probably just how it is, letting someone else pay for the painting. As said Gios Blue is not the easiest color to match and it varied a bit, just enough so many an "expert" will claim its wrong, which really means wrong to him. Why do I know this? I have three original finish bikes and two could use a respray. I am going to have to choose a shade, they are close but not the same.
Old 05-15-10, 05:39 PM
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You will not make any money restoring this correctly and flipping it. Guaranteed.

If you get a professional paint job (in Gios blue) with the correct decals applied and clearcoated, you got to budget at least $350 for it
Old 05-15-10, 10:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

I'm not certain I could sell it for a profit with just a clean and tune; it really needs paint. I can get it painted pretty inexpensively, and decals are $50 on Ebay, so even if I could get $700 with a pseudo-resto, I'd feel fine with that. I'm looking to gain experience as much as I am to make money.