Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

saddles w long rails

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

saddles w long rails

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-04, 02:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
saddles w long rails

I bought a bike without checking the geometry (dumb, but it had a lot of shiney parts). Later I realized the saddle is far back relative to BB (more than an inch farther back from my usual position). I have a recurrent knee problem, patella-femoral syndrome and believe a forward saddle position is better for my knees. I think a saddle w rails that are parallel towards the back of the saddle would help. Anyone know what models are like this? I saw one on a bike but don't know who made it. I was irked that the owner had it set all the way back.., but it seemed to allow a lot of adjustment either way. I bought a zero offset post but it only moved me forward less than 1/2 inch. I'm told tri-athelon type seatpost that bends forward aren't long enough for my compact syle frame (I need 280mm min length). Help me make my bike fit! I paid 8 bones for it and its too late to return.
Old 09-02-04, 03:19 PM
Mad Town Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you try turning your setback seatpost around?

That said, you may be putting a lot of load on your hands/arms supporting your body.

-murray
Old 09-02-04, 03:32 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's a good suggestion. I almost could make the saddle flat with reversed stock post, but not quite... Maybe I can find one that can be reversed from its intended orientation and still get the saddle tilt right.

Why does my saddle being too far back put too much load on my arms?
Old 09-03-04, 08:07 AM
Mad Town Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Why does my saddle being too far back put too much load on my arms?
Actually, it's the other way around; having your saddle too far forward requires more of your weight be supported by your arms and causes you to slide even further forward.

When you lean forward while standing, you move your bottom back to maintain balance. Try this with your heals against a wall if you don't believe me.

On a bike, you need your saddle behind the BB for balance or your arms end up supporting your upper body instead of your back.

OTOH, it sounds like you may have other issues to deal with.

Read this article: https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

-murray
Old 09-03-04, 01:43 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the link looks useful. I'll read it in more depth. I just checked for knee over pedal spindle and it's pretty close, although I understand this is just a rule of thumb, not best for everybody. Still I now feel more like I'm in the ballpark.

My new bike is a hybrid, slack seat tube angle to lessen road shock perhaps (for comfort)? I'm not trying to get really far forward, just more like my old hybrid and mountain bike. Plumb bob from nose of saddle on my old bikes is about 2 inches behind BB, The new one is about 3 inches back. Peter White says saddles vary in the fore/aft adjustability, I still think one that can be slid forward would be all I need. Doesn't anybody know of any saddles with rails that can be clamped close to the back of the saddle?
Old 09-03-04, 10:10 PM
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Brooks saddle... check out the swift
Old 09-04-04, 12:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Fizik Arione has long rails and the saddle is long, a lot of positions to adjust your saddle. I heard is very comfortable too.