Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How slow is too slow for the road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How slow is too slow for the road?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 01:34 PM
Arsehole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
This seems to be the favorite scary thing of the "must ride my bike on the street at all times" crowd to repeat, but in most places it is actually completely to bike on the sidewalk or the street. Where I live most paths that are built along streets were done so with the idea that people could bike on them as well as walk on them. I only avoid biking on sidewalks where there's storefronts, or in downtown where it's packed, or - obviously - everywhere where it seems safer to bike on the street.
It's illegal to ride on the sidewalks here in podunk, Indiana.
Old 05-22-10, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatyPius
All I can say is I heard here again, and again, and again. And - turns out it was never true.
Old 05-22-10, 01:43 PM
Arsehole

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All I can say is I heard here again, and again, and again. And - turns out it was never true.
I'm going to trust the sign right outside of my shop that says "No Bikes - No Skateboards - On Sidewalk"
Old 05-22-10, 02:16 PM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You were inside on a stationary bike.. you had no wind resistance. Wind resistance is huge. If I have a nice tailwind I can run at 20 MPH like it's nothing.. if I have a headwind 7 or 8 MPH can be torture. With no wind I'm usually around 14 or 15.

BTW, I'd like to second the idea the a car likely won't notice the difference between you riding 10 or 20 MPH unless they're following you for an extended time.
Old 05-22-10, 02:42 PM

I'm going to trust the sign right outside of my shop that says "No Bikes - No Skateboards - On Sidewalk"
Yes, we have those signs to. Like "No Parking" signs, the reason they exist is because normally you can bike there. They put up a sign because it's a special case where you cannot bike.
Old 05-22-10, 02:46 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
that is a sweet looking bike.
if you are indeed refering to me 'Calico' Bianchi thank you.

is it illegal to ride where they used to be once they roll them up at 9pm? LOL

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-22-10, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, reminds me of being a kid. "There are starving people in Africa, ya know. You need to eat all that food on your plate!".

Staying off an empty path in favor of riding with no shoulder in heavy traffic and poor visibility for cars to see you because somewhere else there's a different path filled with moms with stollers, pedestrians, and senior citizens is ridiculous.
Are you serious? You're OK with knocking somebody over, just so YOU feel safe on your bike? That's not better than attitude displayed by a motorist trying to get a cyclist off the road. This is so sad.

How do you figure it's not true? Doesn't get any more true than a city bylaw. Or do you live by different laws that the rest of us?
Let me guess, you also don't stop on red lights and stop signs. Why would you? You're on the bike.
Old 05-22-10, 04:10 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I only wish I could maintain Wahoon's speeds. I might be able to hit his flat speed on a sustained downhill...
Keep riding and the higher average speeds will come. I have been riding for over 40 years. I am definitely not as fast as I used to be and in general could care less about over all speed at this point in my life.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 05-22-10, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by lucille
Are you serious? You're OK with knocking somebody over, just so YOU feel safe on your bike? That's not better than attitude displayed by a motorist trying to get a cyclist off the road. This is so sad.

How do you figure it's not true? Doesn't get any more true than a city bylaw. Or do you live by different laws that the rest of us?
Let me guess, you also don't stop on red lights and stop signs. Why would you? You're on the bike.
You *clearly* didn't read what I wrote, or are simply interested in making stuff up so you can argue, so this is all I will respond.
Old 05-22-10, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, reminds me of being a kid. "There are starving people in Africa, ya know. You need to eat all that food on your plate!".

Staying off an empty path in favor of riding with no shoulder in heavy traffic and poor visibility for cars to see you because somewhere else there's a different path filled with moms with stollers, pedestrians, and senior citizens is ridiculous.
You *clearly* didn't read what I wrote, or are simply interested in making stuff up so you can argue, so this is all I will respond.
I'm not arguing.
Old 05-22-10, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Nice. :-)

There's a couple hills around here that are so steep with no shoulder I ride the sidewalk up (no one else is one it), but I always feel safer riding downhill on the road. Good luck! :-)
Yeah that's sort of the situation here. No shoulder, curvy, sort of steep hill (curves not steepness mean no visibility) and a completely unused sidewalk. Since I'm so slow in that stretch, I don't think I'm a hazard for anyone walking (8 mph max isn't hard to stop when you're going uphill). Going downhill on that same stretch, I'm on the road, but them I'm hitting 25 mph or more on a road where the limit (not always stuck to, this is Boston after all) is 30.
Old 05-22-10, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
if you are indeed refering to me 'Calico' Bianchi thank you.
Yes, I'm deeply jealous of calico.
Old 05-22-10, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I paid a $25 fine in San Jose, California for riding on the sidewalk... you just need to check with your local area laws and follow them. Never assume anything or take advise from out of area folks... as you can see it is different everywhere.

I guess you could get PaulRivers contact information and if you ever get pulled over you can refer law enforcement to him and he can defend you. Of course if you are in the Minneapolis area, it sounds like 98% of the sidewalks are good to go.

Enjoy your rides and stay safe.
Old 05-23-10, 07:03 AM

Here, the law appears to be the same as that in Minnesota where you can ride on sidewalks outside of business districts, but I still won't do it 90% of the time. Just in this hill where I don't feel safe on the road at my current speed. Also, not sure what constitutes a business district in the eyes of whatever cop is out ticketing that day, so, even if it were safe and convenient, I wouldn't do it elsewhere, but this stretch is pretty rural. Well as rural as you can get and still be in the suburbs.
Old 05-23-10, 09:42 AM
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
I use "Stall Speed Indicators" on my front wheels. as long as they are silent I am moving fast enough.

PS on a serious note I am not 100% sure where Godard road is but I am not sure I would want to ride on a road like that around Beantown

I love the "Stall Speed Inicators", I don't have those.
Old 05-23-10, 08:51 PM

I think I'd be hearing those most of the time...
Old 05-24-10, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
You were inside on a stationary bike.. you had no wind resistance. Wind resistance is huge. If I have a nice tailwind I can run at 20 MPH like it's nothing.. if I have a headwind 7 or 8 MPH can be torture. With no wind I'm usually around 14 or 15.
In my case, my bike has "levels" from 1-20. I ride on about a 5 right now, and I can do 12mph. Obviously, I'm not in good enough shape to hit the road, but when I do, I'm hoping that training on an ever-increasing level of resistance will help.
Old 05-24-10, 09:47 AM

The stationary bike I was using also had levels. I was working out at level 15 or 16 for 30 minutes (though I then took two months off before I hit the road, so that might have had an effect). I like machines that can provide a "random" setting so you are doing varying intensity (or resistance) for like 30 seconds to a minute and then it changes. Those give me deadlines to press toward and get me more pumped.