Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How bad did I goof?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How bad did I goof?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-10, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How bad did I goof?

I posted here that I am new to riding but I want to ride for exercise. I have been looking at new bikes and really do not want to spend over 1000. for something that may not work for me. I saw on here about thrift store bikes so I went I bought. I paid 30.00 and was thrilled, not sure what I bought. Tuolumne Yokota Special Tubing (Vetta seat?) One tire is flat, it needs a new seat, and a paint job and other work would certainly make it pretty. Now a quick google search tells me its a Mountain Bike, I wanted a Road Bike.

What to do? Can I use this for that? Should I spend on the fix it up, maybe let my husband use it?

Or should I just forget about it and try again?
Old 05-21-10, 07:03 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
You can ride for exercise on a mtn bike as well as you can on a road bicycle. You can even ride centuries and 200K brevets on a mtn bike (I've done it). If you can't distinguish a road bicycle from a mtn bike by sight, it doesn't really matter for you at this point in time. The important thing is that it fits you, and isn't going to break down every few km.

Does it fit you? If so, then fix it up and start riding.

And if you think you want a Road bicycle, go visit some bicycles shops and online shops, and find out what a Road bicycle is so you can identify one and determine if that is indeed what you really want.
Old 05-21-10, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it fits me, I went with heals and suit on. (just got off work) But I did ask the young man who was working the store to pretend he was riding it, he was my height. He fit comfortably, what a nice guy.

Now how about paint shop and such, I just take it in and tell em to fix er up?
Old 05-21-10, 07:21 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Don't paint..don't put a lot of money into it. If you trust the man at the shop, ask him what it would cost to make it safe and rideable. If you're OK with the estimate, then have the work done.

If you keep riding regularly, down the road at some point as you learn more about cycling, you will probably buy another better bike that will cost significantly more. This first bike will be good to find out how enthusiastic you are about cycling..

Last edited by Tom Pedale; 05-21-10 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-21-10, 07:26 PM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Imagonnabike
I think it fits me, I went with heals and suit on. (just got off work) But I did ask the young man who was working the store to pretend he was riding it, he was my height. He fit comfortably, what a nice guy.

Inseam is much more important than height when sizing a bicycle. But it's possible the bicycle is at least in the ballpark of the right size.

Before painting, do a tune-up. Are you able to do that yourself? If not, you'll have to go to a bicycle shop, but be aware that many bicycle shops will laugh and be quite critical if you bring in a thrift store bicycle. You'll have to find a shop that will do the job without all the caustic comments, and that may be quite difficult to do.
Old 05-21-10, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts

Painting a bike is nothing like painting a car. You need to take the parts off the frame and find a painter to paint the frame. Then reassemble everything. If you can't do the work yourself, the cost is going to shock you. The first thing you do is take it to a bike shop and ask them how much it would be to get everything working. Maybe your husband can fix it? Or a friend?
Because you bought a used bike, you may have found a great bargain, or maybe a money pit. Figure that out before investing anything in it.
Generally speaking bike shops don't paint bikes. Some of them do know a painter, But you don't want to spend a couple hundred on a $35 bike. And then pay a bike shop to strip it and reassemble it.
Old 05-21-10, 07:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I did go to a bike shop the other day and the people there were all so nice. I can not imagine they would be rude so I will try them.
Thanks everyone, here is my starter bike if the inseam works.... I hope so!!!
Old 05-21-10, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
The bike is around 17 years old. If it was the model built in 1993, it might be OK because it had Tange tubing, which is reputable, and was equipped with Altus components (but crappy hubs); it was classified as a hybrid. The 1994 model was built in just plain old heavy-duty Hi-Ten steel and had Tourney components, and the suggested retail price reflected this downgrade (about $100 less); it was classified as an MTB. (Source: Bikepedia).

The OP said the budget was $1000. Why buy a bike for $30 and have a lot of work to do to get it rideable when there are many, many good-quality new bikes around either new or secondhand?

I call major goof. Or troll.

My money's on the latter.
Old 05-21-10, 07:44 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
This tells a somewhtat different story about target price.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post10820649
Old 05-21-10, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You paid $30.00 for a bike? That's a steal! Ermmm... I mean, literally. Are you sure the bike wasn't stolen? What kind of a bike store was it?
Old 05-21-10, 08:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lets go with major goof, but not so fast. To pay 999. and not know what I am buying or pay 30.00 and not know what I am buying? I would go with the 30.00, if you have $$ to lose on something you dont know... more power to you. I am older, gaining weight, in need of exercise and not sure which way to turn. I am trying to learn but unfortunately I may not learn as quick as you do. I appreciate the help of everyone but please do not be so quick to label me a troll.

The sticker on the bike did indicate "Special Tubing"
Old 05-21-10, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was not a bike store, it was the corner thrift store. https://www.thrifttown.com/ it has a Vespa seat that I would get replaced because it has a hole or bite missing. The tire was flat but all in all it looked okay.
Old 05-21-10, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by lucille
You paid $30.00 for a bike? That's a steal! Ermmm... I mean, literally. Are you sure the bike wasn't stolen? What kind of a bike store was it?
thrift store
Old 05-21-10, 08:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
This tells a somewhtat different story about target price.
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...=#post10820649
No, keep reading. My target price was 400. as you read you will see people said that 400. was not a good price, if you read till the end I saw a bike I was going to purchase today for a 999.00 (about that much) price. I spoke with my husband and read posts here. 999. would be stretching our budget and someone just posted a picture of he and his wife, he is 60 ish and said he got a deal on his bike and I think he mentioned a Thrift Store purchase, go find that post. I even indicated I was off to the Thrift store as I had not thought of that.
Old 05-21-10, 08:16 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
$400 would certainly buy a functional new bike in a bike shop. $30 is not a major goof unless you have to put hundreds into it.
A Vespa seat? How about Vetta?
Old 05-21-10, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are right, I was going off memory. I wrote all this on my note paper, Vetta, Tuolumne, Yokota, Special Tubing.
Thanks.
Old 05-21-10, 08:21 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I'm guessing because you asked about painting a bike, you don't understand bike mechanical things. Take the $35 bike to a bike shop, if they say it costs too much to fix it, consider buying a new entry level bike from them, or a shop you like. That will get you probably one free tune up, and some warranty coverage. A new bike shop bike is probably going to cost over or around $350. But it should also get you some tech advice when you need it.

A new seat for the old bike is probably around $30. A cheap tire might be about $15. A tune up might be $40- $50, not including parts. It adds up quickly.
Old 05-21-10, 08:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you, I will check it out. I appreciate the input.
Old 05-21-10, 08:31 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I posted here that I am new to riding but I want to ride for exercise. I have been looking at new bikes and really do not want to spend over 1000. for something that may not work for me. I saw on here about thrift store bikes so I went I bought. I paid 30.00 and was thrilled, not sure what I bought. Tuolumne Yokota Special Tubing (Vetta seat?) One tire is flat, it needs a new seat, and a paint job and other work would certainly make it pretty. Now a quick google search tells me its a Mountain Bike, I wanted a Road Bike.

What to do? Can I use this for that? Should I spend on the fix it up, maybe let my husband use it?

Or should I just forget about it and try again?
Ok, now I am in your thread!

First, it would be better for all concern, if you posted pictures of the bike you got for $30.00

With pictures, the peeps around here can tell you exactly what you got. Until you posts pics, it is a guessing game. Guessing is not going to help anybody, and might get people mad.

Post some pictures..
Old 05-21-10, 08:32 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tom Pedale
Don't paint..don't put a lot of money into it. If you trust the man at the shop, ask him what it would cost to make it safe and rideable. If you're OK with the estimate, then have the work done.

If you keep riding regularly, down the road at some point as you learn more about cycling, you will probably buy another better bike that will cost significantly more. This first bike will be good to find out how enthusiastic you are about cycling..
+1 If you're just getting into cycling, put a little effort into fixing up this bike and see how you like it. Ride it around for a while and get an idea of the type of riding you like to do. Find out if you will just ride it for exercise, or if you want it to run errands and such. That will give you a better idea of whether or not you want a different bike down the road.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-21-10, 08:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be happy to in the next few days. I bought it at the thrift store but only had my car so I paid and they put the Sold ticket on it. I asked if I could pick it up Tuesday because I have a busy weekend. They told me they could only hold it till Monday, if I can I am going to run over in the morning and take it to a bike shop, if thats not an option I will do it Monday after work. So I will post as soon as its home.
Old 05-21-10, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hope you are able to post a photo. The only thing that matters is if you are happy with the bike and it works for you.

There is a women's forum you are eligible to gain access to after posting for a month. Send a PM to Siu Blue Wind (administrator) to get access.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 05-21-10, 09:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
There is a women's forum you are eligible to gain access to after posting for a month. Send a PM to Siu Blue Wind (administrator) to get access.
There is**********?
Old 05-21-10, 09:58 PM
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think you got fair value for 30 bucks. Early 90's Yokota would have been a typical work-a-day bike. Even without photos, we can learn a lot about the bike from a simple magnet test and be able to give you more advice.

Get a magnet. Check if it sticks to the frame, fork, handlebars, handlebar stem, seatpost, cranks, rims, and hubs. If these are steel, they will stick easily, and no if aluminum. Make sure that if the magnet sticks, it is to the component and not a mounting bolt.

:)ensen.
Old 05-21-10, 10:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is so much knowledge on this board, thank you all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.