Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Avoiding skin damage & sunburn

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-10, 08:52 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Avoiding skin damage & sunburn

I'll be on the bike 12 hours next Saturday.

I'm considering a white, long sleeve, base layer in addition to 45 level sunscreen.

What are your strategies to reduce skin damage?

Michael
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-24-10, 10:21 AM

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use Neutrogena sunscreen, having had skin reactions to some cheaper stuff. I use the 85 proof stuff, figuring that higher SPF is better than lower, unless someone can show a downside.

My wife likes the DeSoto leg coolers and "coolwings". I haven't tried them, mainly because I just haven't wanted to spend the money. But they still need sunscreen underneath.

Nick
Old 05-24-10, 10:55 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I bring a 3.5oz Nalgene squeeze bottle of sunscreen so I can re-apply as needed at controls.
Old 05-24-10, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
12 hrs?! wow! I was gonna suggest ride at night, or at least avoid 10:am - 4:00 pm. I've been getting into night rides lately. it's cooler. there's less traffic. and fewer people pass me! :-)
Old 05-24-10, 01:32 PM
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
gloves, white t-shirts, cover the neck ... don't go above 45spf and think you're that much safer.. the higher block sunscreen are less and less effective. Helmet with a visor helps. A headband helps keep sunscreen and sweat out of eyes. Don't forget to reapply!

I was thinking about using these..

It it's really hot and dry, try cotton.. it will keep you damp and slow evaporation. Oh and there is the old t-shirt over the head and neck if you can get it to fit under your helmet..
Old 05-25-10, 09:28 AM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

According to Environmental Working Group (EWG) https://www.ewg.org/cosmetics/report/...dyoursunscreen , here are the top sunscreens:

1. Badger Sunscreen Face Stick, SPF 30, Unscented

2. Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, SPF 30 Lightly Scented

3. Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, Unscented, SPF 30

4. California Baby Sunblock Stick No Fragrance, SPF 30+

5. Loving Naturals Sunscreen, SPF 30+

6. Purple Prairie Botanicals Sun Stick, SPF 30

7. Purple Prairie Botanicals SunStuff, SPF 30

8. Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+

9. Soleo Organics Atlantis Resort All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+

10. Soleo Organics Wyland Organics All Natural Sunscreen, SPF 30+
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 05-25-10, 10:45 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Since I'm bald, I guess I have a little more strategy than just the sunscreen I mentioned earlier.

I wear a cap under my helmet, no matter what the weather. Visor frontwards if it's raining, visor backwards to cover more of my neck when it's sunny out.
I hadn't given much thought to long sleeves, etc. for sunblocking. Usually the multiple applications of sunscreen keeps me from getting burned. Coppertone Sport spf-50 is very sweatproof and doesn't end up running into my eyes and causing problems. It doesn't stink too much, either. Too many sunscreens are just horrible smelling concoctions.
Old 05-25-10, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does this help https://sunguardsunprotection.com/? Is anyone using it?
Old 05-25-10, 11:21 AM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by praveendv
Does this help https://sunguardsunprotection.com/? Is anyone using it?
I would sooner take a coating which has been applied at a factory to certain standards... even those coatings will wear off and degrade i suspect.

https://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...in_From_UV.asp
Old 05-25-10, 01:30 PM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I have few problems with my arms, my ears get a little burned sometimes but my legs/thighs have the worst problems. i haven't found anything to stop that burning especially on the thigh. I am thinking about some knickers as the only way to prevent that.

The rest of me uses Neutrogena 70, applied every 2-2.5 hrs. I wear a cap and carry bandannas with me for other protection and cooling as needed. I am about to put on my third bottle cage just for some water to cool me off. I might try something else as I use up my sunblock.
Old 05-25-10, 01:46 PM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Secteur Sport, 2021 Giant Talon 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
According to Environmental Working Group (EWG) https://www.ewg.org/cosmetics/report/...dyoursunscreen , here are the top sunscreens:

1. Badger Sunscreen Face Stick, SPF 30, Unscented

2. Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, SPF 30 Lightly Scented

3. Badger Sunscreen for Face and Body, Unscented, SPF 30
I have used the Badger sunscreens and they work great. They have kept me burn free on long sunny climbs in the snow which are pretty much the worst sun burn conditions. You have to put it on thickly and accept that you will look somewhat ghostly. It doesn't run with perfuse sweating, but it does become quite prone to rubbing off after sweating. It seems like the sweat pushes it out of your pores and makes easy to wipe off. If you know that going in it is fine. I used to love Coppertone Sport 50 which also works great, but now I like physical block rather than the chemical block. It protects against UVA and UVB.
Old 05-26-10, 11:06 PM
This is Shangri La

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got burned really badly a few years ago on a ride where I forgot sunscreen - think blister, peel, blister, peel. I saw my doctor and he recommended I use sunscreen with titanium oxide in the future, and that you can typically find this in childrens sunscreen. I have been using Banana Boat childrens sunscreen quite successfully for several years now. It is readily available in most drug stores. I got a small squeeze bottle from REI, which I fill with sunscreen and take with me on rides. The stuff actually keeps me cooler.
Old 05-27-10, 01:09 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
The most important thing is to remember to re-apply your sunscreen at least once every three hours. I live in the skin cancer capital of the universe and see a lot of people make this mistake. They lather it on at the start of the ride at 6am, and then forget about it. In the meantime, the heat and humidity (which is pretty much year round in these parts) means the suncreen has washed off by 9am, just when they're really going to need it.

That is all.
Old 05-27-10, 01:45 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
I screen up before the ride. If I need to reapply I take a roll on, can do the arms and legs while riding.
Old 05-27-10, 03:13 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I just use a dab of sunscreen when I'm out there for 12+ hours.
Old 05-27-10, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I would avoid peak sun as much as possible, that is from about eleven to four depending on your time zone. I'm paying the price now for sun damage that happened thirty years ago.. If you must go out, use a complete sun block on your ears and nose and parts of your face; also, try to find every bit of shade, and ride in it as much as possible.

It is a little ironic that some of the thons run in June, designed to raise money to cure some disease, might actually be putting some participants at an increased risk for skin cancer?
Old 05-27-10, 11:54 AM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris L
The most important thing is to remember to re-apply your sunscreen at least once every three hours. I live in the skin cancer capital of the universe and see a lot of people make this mistake. They lather it on at the start of the ride at 6am, and then forget about it. In the meantime, the heat and humidity (which is pretty much year round in these parts) means the suncreen has washed off by 9am, just when they're really going to need it.
In places like southern Chile the skin cancer rates are extremely high due to the hole in the ozone ending up there(near the antarctic hole) and letting uv-b rays through.

https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/monthly/index.html

https://ozonewatch.gsfc.nasa.gov/ozon...80X720.LSH.mp4
Old 06-06-10, 08:10 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Friends,

I am a Dermatologist and a cyclist in California. I see and treat skin cancer every day in my office, especially on the face, ears and neck.

I have been seeking a way to fully protect my ears and neck and have as little facial skin exposed that would need sun screen... (SPF 70 by the way)

I see enough really horrible skin cancer that it is easy for me to wear a long sleeve jersey and long cycling tights even in the summer. I even wear full finger gloves...

I share with you a new accessory for my helmet. It is a vented sun cape that meets and exceed my design requirements. Those requirements are, full sun protection, venting and light weight fabric....the only downside is it is a little dorky looking... but if you saw the skin cancer that I see in my Dermatology office every day that would not bother you very much. I look dorky enough to begin with because I am wearing long sleeves and long tights anyway

I use the detachable sun cape from an Outdoor Reasearch SunRunner hat ( $30 at REI )

The only modification was the cutting off of the cape snap tabs and cutting 1/8 inch holes to fit between where the plastic helmet harness snaps into the body of the helmet. I removed the helmet chin strap and threaded it through the upper rear vent of the cape, It is a lot easiet to do than to verbally explain

Jesse
Old 06-06-10, 08:22 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Good idea. Solve the geeky look and you may have a new product to sell. I noticed the helmet visor too.

I have found after many 12-14 hour rides that a long visor on a helmet not only keeps most of the sun off my face, but in high heat it keeps my face cooler. Not to mention when coming home directly into the setting sun, often tipping ones head enough can allow you to see without the sun in your face.
Old 06-06-10, 08:54 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2manybikes,

I did solve the geeky look already... the left was the first version
Bicycle sun 1..jpgR1010803..JPG

Now I am just left with the dorky look

This is as far as I can go

Jesse
Old 06-06-10, 04:34 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesskramer
2manybikes,

Attachment 154017Attachment 154018

Jesse

I just thought of something. A thin (head cover) balaklava will do the same thing and not look quite as bad.

https://www.trivillage.com/louis-garn...t-2008-fw.html

But possibly too hot. I have one very thin one and it is black. What if there was one made of the same material as yours and was flesh colored. It might really sell !
Seriously.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 06-06-10 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 06:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I personally find the balaklava style great for cold weather, but it is too close fitting , in any color or fabric weight for my comfort when I am sweating

Jesse
Old 06-06-10, 06:42 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Well, that explains the chador

While I fully believe in taking basic precautions, I don't see much reason to let fear run my life. ("The Surgeon General announced today that saliva causes stomach cancer, but only when ingested in small amounts over a prolonged period of time." - George Carlin) Pretty much any sunscreen that protects for UVA, UVB, is at least SPF 30, and that gets frequently applied to the right spots should do the trick.

Also keep in mind it takes about 30 minutes after application for the sunscreen to start working. The sunscreen isn't actually a layer on your skin that blocks out sunlight, it induces a reaction that helps reduce the negative effects of sunlight.

Another item to consider is a UV-resistant shirt or base layer. Something made with a "Cocona" fabric may do the trick.
Old 06-11-10, 12:39 PM
Have bike, will travel

This article compares the results of the Environmental Working Group (EWG) https://www.ewg.org/cosmetics/report/...dyoursunscreen , with that of Consumers Reports: https://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....unscreen-.html

Confused? Badger sunscreen was a top pick by both groups.
Old 06-11-10, 02:00 PM
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jesskramer
2manybikes,

Attachment 154017Attachment 154018

Jesse
I actually like the first one better, looks like some sort of white bike ninja, but hopefully riding with lights at night.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.