Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I got "the look" today

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I got "the look" today

Old 05-25-10, 04:01 PM
jaywbee3

Bikes: Surly LTH, Burley Duet, Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got "the look" today

OK, so I am almost 60, mostly bald, trim, with white hair and beard. It was in the 80s today and I did a grocery run, the long way, so it was about 15 miles round trip. I was wearing cotton shorts, not Lycra and polypro top. As I am locking up my bike a lady who I would guess to be in her 70s or 80s walks by and I thought she was going to complement me on trying to keep in shape, etc. Instead she gives me a look that I can only interpret as "You are so f---ing stupid I wonder how you find your way home at night!" She went into the store and I did not see her again. I was downwind, wearing clean clothes, and trying to look presentable. I hope it was something that she had for breakfast that was giving her grief.
Old 05-25-10, 04:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It's an age thing. My m-in-law used to ask if I was tired and needed a nap when I came in from riding. She just never really understood when I told her I was hot but reinvigorated.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 05-25-10, 04:28 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Who cares what those old ladies think?

I'm always thrilled to be able to run errands by bike and some snarling old biddie ain't gonna change that!

Actually, I've found that 99% of fellow shoppers are freindly and accomodating...if not darn right interested in trying it themselves.
Old 05-25-10, 04:31 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It was probably gas
Old 05-25-10, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Next time drop trou on her.
Old 05-25-10, 07:31 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If she's not:

a.) paying your bills; or,
b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks? Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!
Old 05-25-10, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Next time drop trou on her.

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
If she's not:

b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks? Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!

I like you guys!
Old 05-25-10, 07:40 PM
Legs; OK! Lungs; not!

Bikes: ''09 Motobecane Immortal Pro (Yellow), '02 Diamondback Hybrid, '09 Lamborghini Viaggio, ''11 Cervelo P2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Who cares what those old ladies think?.
Who care what anyone thinks?

A year ago I thought the bikes with the skinny tires and seat up your but was stupid, not to mention those silly outfits. Now I find that everything in road and CX biking (and perhaps mtb) all have an important purpose in the sport (Speed, comfort, weight, aero, etc.) and those things I appreciate. Some things are done to keep up with the Jones' as it were, and those things I eschew.

I don't care that I ride a BD bike, have speedplays, wear a reflective vest in the dark, and any number of things that are frowned upon. While I realize shaving one's legs has a purpose, I suppose I'll have to learn that lesson my self.

I got out, ride hard, and enjoy myself. I adopt the things that make sense to me.
Old 05-25-10, 07:41 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
A year or so ago I had a little old lady--think Sophia from Golden Girls--give me a completely different kind of look.

She was behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store. I was wearing lycra shorts since I'd stopped on my commute home, and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
Old 05-25-10, 07:48 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
...and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
I wonder, is that good or bad?
Old 05-25-10, 08:06 PM
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If she's not:

b.) doable,

then who cares what she thinks?
I just coughed fizzy beer out my nose, thankyouverymuch.

My Dad had an old uncle who retired at age 65, sat down in his armchair by the fire and barely moved again until he died 17 years later. Because that was what old people were supposed to do.

Remember when Bing Crosby died just after finishing a round of golf? Apparently his last words were "That was a great game fellas". I was a teenager at the time and can remember thinking how, as and when my time came, I definitely wanted it to be while doing something I love. (I have a nagging fear that I'll breathe my last while on a conference call, or standing in line somewhere.)

However, my Dad's old uncle had a different opinion. His was "The stupid idiot, playing golf at his age. What was he thinking?" It just seems sad to me that some people think you shouldn't do something you love just because you're gettin' up there in years.

So back to the original post...as a wise man once said...

Your life, your ride, F*** anybody who doesn't like it!
Old 05-25-10, 08:31 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6758 Post(s)
Liked 5,463 Times in 3,214 Posts
Maybe that was her "cougar" look...
Old 05-25-10, 08:49 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bobthib
Who care what anyone thinks?

A year ago I thought the bikes with the skinny tires and seat up your but was stupid, not to mention those silly outfits. Now I find that everything in road and CX biking (and perhaps mtb) all have an important purpose in the sport (Speed, comfort, weight, aero, etc.) and those things I appreciate. Some things are done to keep up with the Jones' as it were, and those things I eschew.

I don't care that I ride a BD bike, have speedplays, wear a reflective vest in the dark, and any number of things that are frowned upon. While I realize shaving one's legs has a purpose, I suppose I'll have to learn that lesson my self.

I got out, ride hard, and enjoy myself. I adopt the things that make sense to me.
So is there a problem?
Old 05-25-10, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
A year or so ago I had a little old lady--think Sophia from Golden Girls--give me a completely different kind of look.

She was behind me in the checkout line at the grocery store. I was wearing lycra shorts since I'd stopped on my commute home, and she said to me, "I haven't seen a butt like that in 40 years!"
Similar thing on a group ride. Gal waves us ahead, expecting her to pass after a long downhill, and she follows us for about 5 miles. When she finally did pass us she had a big smile on her face.
Old 05-26-10, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not uncommon. The old saw that Misery Loves Company is as applicable here as in other places. People who are at least somewhat fit are threatening by their very presence to others who are not. At the same time cyclists, especially those of maturity are a minority, a very, small minority and so are targets for those who aren't comfortable with others not like themselves.
Old 05-26-10, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
ah - you silly goose, you had her when you bent over to lock your bike!
Old 05-26-10, 04:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C'mon, life is too short to spend a lot of time thinking about what someone thinks someone else might have been thinking.
Old 05-26-10, 06:46 AM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should have asked..... want some?
Old 05-26-10, 08:14 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
I just coughed fizzy beer out my nose, thankyouverymuch.

My Dad had an old uncle who retired at age 65, sat down in his armchair by the fire and barely moved again until he died 17 years later. Because that was what old people were supposed to do.

Remember when Bing Crosby died just after finishing a round of golf? Apparently his last words were "That was a great game fellas". I was a teenager at the time and can remember thinking how, as and when my time came, I definitely wanted it to be while doing something I love. (I have a nagging fear that I'll breathe my last while on a conference call, or standing in line somewhere.)

However, my Dad's old uncle had a different opinion. His was "The stupid idiot, playing golf at his age. What was he thinking?" It just seems sad to me that some people think you shouldn't do something you love just because you're gettin' up there in years.

So back to the original post...as a wise man once said...
Sorry to push you into alcohol abuse... that's what that turned out to be! Beer should only come back out of your body in a stream into the stool!

I deal with much the same attitude, though it shows itself only occasionally....

My extended family lives with me (sister's fam); b-in-l gets on the soapbox about something, toward someone, pretty much 2x/month, and it's all bull****. Once, he got on me about my riding -- griping at me because I ride in the cold, the rain, occasional snow, instead of going out and buying a car! I'm supposed to grow up, do the right thing, and get a car so I can take my daughter to the hospital (she's never been anywhere but a scheduled doc's appt. for the past seven years). He's 61, I'm 51, and he won't see 71. I intend on seeing 91, and the bike will enhance those chances!

Somebody here said something very profound -- "You don't slow down because you age, you age because you slow down." Not 100% true, but profound, just the same.
Old 05-26-10, 08:21 AM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
You know you are old when you start thinking of 80yo as your contemporaries and caring what they think.

I think there is a certain homophobia towards cycling for whatever reasons. I think that is at the heart of some of the "issues" we deal with, that and in the US bicycles are looked upon as a children toys, something you are supposed to out grow.
Old 05-26-10, 08:33 AM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
You know you are old when you start thinking of 80yo as your contemporaries and caring what they think.

I think there is a certain homophobia towards cycling for whatever reasons
. I think that is at the heart of some of the "issues" we deal with, that and in the US bicycles are looked upon as a children toys, something you are supposed to out grow.
Never thought about it like that; but you're right, that explains the calls of "F*@@*T!" Fat, lazy, out-o-shape rednecks and thugs who couldn't run to the crapper if it was outside the back door -- they're MANly! Oohhhhhh--kkaaaaaaaayy! You drive some POS with a loud muffler or some BS subwoofer stereo system, don't signal when you turn, make that DEEEEP left-hand cut on a corner that will put you in oncoming traffic's radiator, and you're a MAN, that women WANT over me.... Sure. The bicycle makes the cast of Queer Eye check me out on a daily basis.... Uh-huh.

Gives me an idea for the clowns who holler "F*@@*T!" at me -- "You just lookin' for a boyfriend!"
Old 05-26-10, 08:53 AM

Bikes: None.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't wear cotton shorts and polypro tops. It will make you appear erotically un-coordinated.
Old 05-27-10, 09:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
It was probably gas
...which end......I drive a motorcycle trike,..other bikers look at me the same way,...but it that look from the guy in the car with a mud-pie face wife and kids in the back seat jumping up and down.....you know...dam, I wish I was him...<look>
Old 05-27-10, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
yeah, you gotta watch out for old ladies - one buzzed me the other day and I could see her smiling as she did it. they have an evil side!
Old 05-27-10, 11:30 AM
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5442 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 236 Posts
If she's not:

b.) doable,

I think we've hit upon the meaning of life.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.