Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Anyone make a custom geo frame for Di2 internal routing for under $2k?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-10, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im looking to get a custom geometry frame made that the builder is willing or able to do all internal Di2 and rear brake cabling.

So far Im in contact with Habanero Cycles for a custom Ti frameset, but he can only do external wiring. Id hate to go full custom and not be able to do internal wiring. Unfortunately it seems like every frame builder website I go to is asking $2300+ for a steel frame, and $3000+ for a Ti frame.

Any ideas on a builder that can do internal Di2 routing without killing my budget?

Im trying to stick with Ti mostly because I will use this bike daily, and lock it up against other bikes and racks. I dont want to worry about paint chiping and I live in Seattle, so I dont want my bike to turn into iron oxide.

note: Yes I know Di2 is expensive, I sold off 2 bikes thinking $2k-ish left over would be enough for a good frame.
Old 06-08-10, 03:53 AM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have probably zero chance, and I don't see why you'd want to compromise, seeing you've just bought the most advanced, most expensive group-set ever made.

Supercharging a Hyundai, and all that.
Old 06-08-10, 03:54 AM
Industry Maven

Bikes: Thylacines...only Thylacines.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have probably zero chance, and I don't see why you'd want to compromise, seeing you've just bought the most advanced, most expensive group-set ever made.

Supercharging a Hyundai, and all that.
Old 06-08-10, 05:20 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthWestDork
Im looking to get a custom geometry frame made that the builder is willing or able to do all internal Di2 and rear brake cabling.

So far Im in contact with Habanero Cycles for a custom Ti frameset, but he can only do external wiring. Id hate to go full custom and not be able to do internal wiring. Unfortunately it seems like every frame builder website I go to is asking $2300+ for a steel frame, and $3000+ for a Ti frame.

Any ideas on a builder that can do internal Di2 routing without killing my budget?

Im trying to stick with Ti mostly because I will use this bike daily, and lock it up against other bikes and racks. I dont want to worry about paint chiping and I live in Seattle, so I dont want my bike to turn into iron oxide.

note: Yes I know Di2 is expensive, I sold off 2 bikes thinking $2k-ish left over would be enough for a good frame.
Then you can buy one more bike when this one is stolen.
Old 06-08-10, 11:33 AM

Bikes: how big is this cell anyway?

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
https://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...structions.pdf
The actual internal installation is a bit of a pain, I thought I read somewhere you need to get certified by Shimano to mess with it but that might be from the mechanic end of things. I recently did an internal light to bottle cage mounted battery pack in the top tube for a customer and he asked about doing this also and in the next sentence asked about installing travel couplings, so I passed on the whole enchilada because of the lol factor.
Your problem is any builder doing ti is going to butt up against your budget before even considering the internal wiring issue.
Why not drop Ti Cycles a line in Portland, Oregon and ask, I believe they have the expertise in this.