Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Uh...oh!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Uh...oh!

I goofed...........but in a good way, I think.

While riding into work the other day I came upon a bike being disposed of and made arrangements with the home owner for me to come by the next day with my truck and salvage the bike. I had intended to clean, lube, adjust, and then donate the bike.

I haven't had much time to go over the bike yet, and I won't for a few weeks yet, but I think it's gonna be a keeper.

You see, being somewhat of an odd ball myself, I tend to become keenly interested in what I determine to be not of the ordinary. For example I have three Alenax Mtn. Bikes just because of the Transbar Pedaling system they have. I think they're really cool! I have a Schwinn Traveler with a two-speed kickback hub for the same reason.

When putting the bike into my garage this morning I noticed a bit of an oddity with the crank...it has a freewheel. Well some research has led me to believe that the 5-spd. bike I just brought home comes equiped with a Shimano Front Freewheel style crank. The freewheel is in the crank and the five gears in the back rotate with the wheel. As long as the rear wheel is rolling you can shift the gears! How cool is that? To many of you that system which dates from the late '70's thru the early 80's may be quite commonplace, but it's the first time I've encountered it.

To my mind this bike is just off the wall enough to have earned a place hanging from my garage rafters as one of my "You've just gotta see this!" bikes.

Now, how do I break the news to my wife?
Old 05-31-10, 12:28 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
With the number of bikes you already have- I doubt the wife would notice yet another one.

And if she does- Will she care? As long as you buy the bunch of flpwers and the big box of chocs.

Spike Milligan
Old 05-31-10, 09:00 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I have seen one of those before. A guy brought one into the LBS where I shop. It was a Schwinn. Very interesting and it seemed to work pretty well for the casual riding that bike was meant to do. Nice find!
Old 05-31-10, 01:05 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by thomamueller
Well? Where is it? I got to see it! I am certainly not coming up to NY to see it. PICS.
I think it's this Ross over in my N+0.5 thread.