Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Inattentiveness

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Inattentiveness

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-02, 04:11 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Inattentiveness

Twice on friday I almost hit a car. I think it happened because I was tired, though I didn't know it until after I got home...I didn't feel very tired at the time, but my mental alertness was affected.

The first time I blamed it on the driver. The second time, I realized I was not focusing like I should have been. After arriving
home, I discovered that I was exhausted.

Be careful out there, folks!

:thumbup:
Old 03-16-02, 06:26 PM
RAGBRAI. Need I say more?

Bikes: 1998 Mongoose NX7.1, 2008 Kona Jake, GT singlespeed (year unknown).

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find I have more close calls after work than before work. I always figured it was because of more traffic, but I suppose fatigue could play a big part.
Old 03-16-02, 10:10 PM

Bikes: Kona Dr Dew, Lemond Le Alp, Mongoss NX-7, Trek T200 Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My experience has been the opposit - I've had more close calls going to work than going home. I've always figured people are either hurrying to get to work on time, had too much on their minds, weren't fully awake, or they were just pissed off that they had to go to work.
Old 03-17-02, 07:35 AM
aka Sir MaddyX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find I've had the odd close call going home from work but always work nights so I'm often extremely at the end. The worst was when I thoughtlessly assumed my light was going to turn green. I hopped on my saddle and rolled forward into the crosswalk. A city bus moving at high speed came from my left. I barely turned my head to see it. I swear my front wheel was inches from it. I'm not sure if I heard the bus and pulled my break or if I saw it in the corner of my eye. It was just weird.

Extreme exaustion does some strange things sometimes. I know now to force myself to stay aware when I'm that tired. I often stop for breakfast on the way home too. In fact, I'm about that tired right now. (yawn) Two more hours of work to go.