Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What size screws do I need?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I am new to the forum and new to biking. I recently bought a Schwinn Sidewinder, a cheapo wal-mart special but I didn't want to invest too much until I decide if I like the hobby.

Anyway, I bought a rack for the back of the bike to carry stuff on. It attaches to the seat stays and where the seat stays meet the chain stays. My bike has threaded holes in the frame to attach it and the screws that came with the rack will fit in the holes on the seat stay but are too small for the holes near the axle of the wheel.

I searched to manual that came with the bike as well as the schwinn website and can't find any info about what size the screws are so hopefully somebody will know what size I need or at least how to figure what size I need based on the hole.

Edit: I wasn't expecting anyone to know what size a screw hole is based on a picture. I am assuming there is some basic standard sizes someone could give me. I don't know what size the rack came with just that they are to small for the threaded hole in my bike. I'm guessing it is metric which I know nothing about. I tried a 1/4 inch screw and it was just barely too big.

Here is a link to the rack I bought

Here is a picture of the holes that the screws I have won't fit in (in case I am using incorrect terminology and am confusing people with my noobiness) This isn't my bike, just a picture of bike showing the location of the holes I need the screws for.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by jambog; 06-04-10 at 09:59 AM. Reason: more info
Old 06-04-10, 11:23 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Probably 6mm for the larger hole. The smaller hole should be 5mm. On most bikes, both holes use 5mm screws.
Someone correct me if this isn't right.
Old 06-04-10, 02:33 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Look for metric bolts at a hardware store or go to a bike shop (will typically cost more there). Just take your bike and try them out.