Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Specialized Sirrus Road Bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-04, 05:53 PM

Bikes: Older Specialized Sirrus road bike with Shimano 105

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have an old (guessing early 1980s) Specialized Sirrus road bike with Shimano 105 gears (10 speed). As I am an older rider, the drop handle bars are real rough on my shoulders and arms. Also, the gearing is not adequate because I live in a hilly area.

Is it worth it trying to upgrade this bike or should I just get rid of it? If I try to sell it, how much should I ask?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-05-04, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mlshermancpa
I have an old (guessing early 1980s) Specialized Sirrus road bike with Shimano 105 gears (10 speed). As I am an older rider, the drop handle bars are real rough on my shoulders and arms. Also, the gearing is not adequate because I live in a hilly area.

Is it worth it trying to upgrade this bike or should I just get rid of it? If I try to sell it, how much should I ask?

Thanks.

Mike
Almost anything can be upgraded given enough money and knowledge. But, a triple crankset,bottom bracket, front derailer and long quill stem are cheaper than a new bike. Yours probably wouldn't fetch $100,and that might be on a good day.
Old 09-05-04, 08:50 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mlshermancpa

Thanks.

Mike
If you're not pleased with the gearing and also want to change the bars to achieve a more upright position(which would entail replacing brake cables, brake levers, stem and most likely saddle) you're probably better off getting a new bike. Even if you made all of the changes mentioned to your Sirrus, you'd still be left reaching wayyy.. down to reach those downtube shifters. It sounds to me like you would be an ideal candidate for the "comfort bike" category which already have the features you've asked for. I would suggest test riding a few at your LBS. As for your Sirrus, ask the LBS if they take trades or if not, what the fair market value is.