Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Went and watched/volunteered at a road race today.

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 06-06-10, 08:07 PM

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went and watched /volunteered at my first road race today. All I can say is wow. It was pretty interesting watching the different racing styles of the different classes.
I was assigned a position as a course marshall, where the course turned onto a different road. I would have to stop people before they entered the course and explain to them what was going on. I did have a problem with one lady, a census worker, and she tried to b*tch me out how cyclist want to take up the whole road and how they shouldnt be on the roads. She didnt like it when I did explain how the riders, did pay for motel rooms, and are contributing to the local economy. She started to see the point from the cyclist position, so I think I made a difference on her. There were several families that came out to watch the race and some were even handing out water.
The cycling community and the people who support it, really surprised me on the way people come together and helps each other finish the race.
Old 06-06-10, 09:58 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Ha, your story reminded me of a situation I witnessed a few weeks ago at the Tour of California... My family and I went to the time trial leg, which winds in and around downtown Los Angeles.

One woman started to b*tch out a volunteer for asking her to step back on to the curb... like c'mon lady, he's just a dude in an orange t-shirt volunteering.... really quite ugly.
Old 06-06-10, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
So how did the race go? What can you tell us? Are you inspired to race now?
Old 06-07-10, 08:51 PM

Bikes: 2009 Novara Randonee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did get inspired to get out and ride more. I realized that I am a super slow rider, so I am going to try to correct that. Also, I am going to try and lose weight, and get into shape.
As far as the race, they went good from what I saw and heard. I didn't really view the results, so I am not sure who raced or who even won it. It was fun volunteering and I definitely want to do it again.