Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Helmet Help

Old 06-09-10, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Help

I've been riding for about the last 5 months now and I ride about 150 miles per week. Mostly on pavement and/or the Bay trails in the peninsula. I've never used a helmet before because I love riding without one. I feel more free this way...you guys/gals get me? Anyway, many of my non-cyclist friends are recommending me to use one. I am reluctant but I understand the benefits of having one. Can any of you recommend a light/feather weight helmet for me? Please provide links. I appreciate this very much!! Thanks.
Old 06-09-10, 09:57 PM
Powerful-Ugly Creature

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't let the dear mongers get to you. There are entire discussions on the actual usefulness of helmets up in A&S.

Why are taking cycling advise, from people who don't ride? Wear one if you want to. Don't wear one just because somebody who doesn't even ride a bike said you should.
Old 06-09-10, 10:17 PM
Some guy with a bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I choose to wear a helmet, on the off chance I whack something with my head and it helps. There isn't any conclusive evidence either way. I would recommend you wear one, but certainly not if it would cause you to ride less. The health benefits far outweigh risks. Check the helmet threads in advocacy and safety, and choose for yourself.
Old 06-09-10, 11:04 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I choose to wear one also, based on the premise that I can get a little silly on the bike at a moment's notice.

There's no real need to spend a ton of money, either, a decent one (ALWAYS look for "in-molded") can be had for less than $30. These will not be as well ventilated, but they offer the protection your non-riding nannies are concerned about.

BTW, I wear a Bell Slant -- cost me $40, shipped.
Old 06-10-10, 01:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If they aren't cyclists, why do the feel like they can provide you with cycling advice?

I ride without a helmet too, BTW. There's nothing wrong with wearing a helmet and I would never disparage anyone who does.

If I ever manage to get to some serious trails I'll consider it.
Old 06-10-10, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The Bell Alchera that I have right now is the most-ventillated, coolest-running helmet I've ever owned. Price isn't always a good indicator, but I've found in general that the cheaper helmets tend to be hotter. If you want a helmet that doesn't feel like you're wearing a helmet, find one with big vents. A thousand little vents don't let the air in as well as a couple of big ones.
Old 06-10-10, 06:17 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Try on a helmet before buying it.

They're not all the same like baseball caps. Thanks to the wacky vent designs, some of them aren't at all comfortable for me because they press on a small pointy bit on the top of my head.

The ones that fit me well, though, are about as comfy as a baseball cap.
Old 06-12-10, 05:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for your comments!
Old 06-12-10, 05:25 PM

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find helmets to be a bit of a bother, because they get sweaty when it's hot. I wear one anyway, for the protection it offers. Whatever you get, keep in mind that if it's hideously uncomfortable, you won't wear it.

The racing helmets seem to be the lightest, but also the most expensive.

The best part of having one is that you can hang headlights, blinkies, and even mirrors on your helmet. I get asked about the "camera" on my helmet almost every day.

My bands:
Old 06-14-10, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team road bike, Giant XTC mountain bike , Bike Friday Pocket Llama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asiamj
Can any of you recommend a light/feather weight helmet for me? Please provide links.
Limar 104 (very light and IMO the best looking helmet available, https://www.limarhelmets.com/eng/prod...1&id_sotcat=68) and Giro Prolight (https://www.giro.com/en-us/products/c...mets/prolight/).
Old 06-14-10, 03:32 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I wear a helmet adn I'm a cyclist, I say war one but the final decisionis yours. I insist that my wife wears one too. So she busts her head then I feel bad cause I encourage her to ride. She's crasehd twice in 15 years, once hit her helmet. Could have been that once that made her a vege, I aint taking chances eventhough the odds are low.

I'm not a highend guy but I do like a higher end model like the Giro Pneumo. Not because of the weight or style points, but because they provide plenty of ventilation/vents. And IMO, they fit much better and nicer on the retension system. Nothing worse than a big clunky system wrapped around your head. Comfort is #1.

FWIW, my wife is a sissy in the heat but found that riding with a helmet in 100 weather, the helmet provides a shield between the sun and her scalp. Less heat exhaustion.

In the 15 years and 65,000 miles that I've done on the bike, I've only crashed twice but both times on the mountain bike. I'm glad it was the helmet that broke and not my head. That's all I gotta say about that!

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 06-14-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 06:20 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having witnessed first-hand two severe crashes in my club this year, I am going to wear a helmet if I get on the bike at all. The people who crashed would likely be dead or a vegetable if they had not worn a helmet. I don't care how ugly or hot my helmet is. I can take the helmet off at the end of the ride, I can't put my brain back in my skull if I crash. The bit of comfort gained by not wearing one is just not worth the consequences if you crash without one.
If this makes me a fearmonger, so be it.

Any high-end helmet will be very light, but be prepared to shell out a couple of benjamins for the very top of the line helmets.
Old 06-15-10, 01:41 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I find helmets to be a bit of a bother, because they get sweaty when it's hot.
Went for a 3-mile timed run on Monday morning, bare-headed (no cap or anything; not on a bike, so no helmet anyway), and my eyes started stinging from sweat by the end. I don't think a helmet would've caused any more sweat (although I could say that, at biking speeds, sweat evaporates a lot better).
Old 06-15-10, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I rode without a helmet for about a year, then I had a crash. From that event, I learned that concrete doesn't "give" very much and that two black eyes take a long time to heal. I told my doctor, who is also a road cyclist, that as soon as the swelling subsided, I would get a helmet.

Given this experience and another unplanned meeting with the ground, I choose to wear a helmet. I've become accustomed to it, and it's no big deal. Once in a while, I forget my helmet and ride back to get it.

As I understand it, all helmets in the U.S. must meet the same set of requirements, so they should provide the required protection for your brain housing group, regardless of price. As others have said, the ones that cost a little more may provide better ventilation.
Old 06-16-10, 09:20 AM

Bikes: 1997 Trek 2300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that you want to wear a helmet, my son's helmet probably saved him from being disabled or killed last year when he went through the rear windshield of a car. Yes he went through the windshield and ended up in the back seat! Here ia a really good deal on a Giro Phase if you wear a medium. https://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Helmet+09.aspx