Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bought a new bike

Old 06-15-10, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a new bike

So 2 weekends ago I cracked my frame in 2 places climbing a hill. Long story short, i bought it used got no love from the manufacturer. I have an upcoming triathlon this weekend so I went out this evening and purchased my new bike. i bought a trek 2.1 road bike. The components aren't as good as previous bike, but not noticeable to me. However the old bike was a cf/alloy combo. carbon seat stays, chain stays, down tube, and top tube. The trek is all aluminum besides the fork and seat post. I feel that it is a little harsher. However I will get a better idea tomorrow evening on my wednesday night fitness ride. The one thing that worries me about the trek is it has I believe 24 paired spoke rims. however the lbs assured me that they stand up, and are warrantied for 5 years. they sold me that a new england patriot had rode the 2.1 on the pan mass challenge. we shall see i am skeptical, however I feel eventually trek will replace them if they become too much of an issue.
Old 06-16-10, 12:55 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Luck to you~! I hope you fall in love with it...
Old 06-16-10, 05:48 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your new bike! Sorry to hear about your old one taking a dirt nap on you. Make sure you scavenge it's carcas for spare parts. Never know when you might need something! If you're worried about your new wheels, use your old ones. Have the LBS swap the casset over if you don't have the tools to do it yourself, then you can keep the trek's wheels for a backup.
Old 06-16-10, 05:50 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah: Pics or it didn't happen
Old 06-16-10, 10:33 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I recently bought a new bike build kit to rebuild an old merlin frame... and for a few dollars more than the group itself, I got new wheels, seat, stem, handlebars... all the go-bits basically.

Anyway, to keep this from getting painfully long and boring, the wheels are Easton EA90SL and they're 24 spoke straight pull in the front, 28 spoke 1x on the drive side, straight pull on the non-drive side. I'm in the 230s now and I'd figure these to be taco-shaped by now but they're holding up great (150 miles in, so not far)

So the key, I say the KEY is that they're hand built and not machine built. I strum the spokes every few days to make sure the tensions are all still similar and it's good so far. Love 'em.

That's $750 worth of wheelset that I basically got (along with all those other go-bits) for a mere $300 over the group cost alone. I'm not good enough at math to understand how that makes sense, anymore than I can figure out how a manufacturer can sell a frame for $3000 and a built-up bike with 105 for the same doggone price.
Old 06-16-10, 10:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I can't understand how that all works out with the frame and components. I'll post some pics this evening possibly. Looking forward to the shakeout ride. Then into the fire with a sprint triathlon on saturday. I plan to strip the old frame down and sell the components off. I figured that was a way to offset the cost. I have ultegra sti shifter/brakes, ultegra brakes, ultegra deraliurs, crank, carbon fork, a couple cassettes, and two sets of rims, and the handlebars. Plan to keep the seat and stem everything else will probably go, If I make enough I will keep my 105 hub/alex rim setup for a backup.
Old 06-16-10, 11:54 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daffonce
Yeah I can't understand how that all works out with the frame and components. I'll post some pics this evening possibly. Looking forward to the shakeout ride. Then into the fire with a sprint triathlon on saturday. I plan to strip the old frame down and sell the components off. I figured that was a way to offset the cost. I have ultegra sti shifter/brakes, ultegra brakes, ultegra deraliurs, crank, carbon fork, a couple cassettes, and two sets of rims, and the handlebars. Plan to keep the seat and stem everything else will probably go, If I make enough I will keep my 105 hub/alex rim setup for a backup.
It's because of volume, if you went out and bought all the parts for a $30,000 car it would cost you well over $100,000, same with bikes, you seriously think Trek pays anything near the $40 for a low end dérailleur you do at the local bike shop, no, because they order them by the container load.....
Old 06-16-10, 12:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I get the whole volume thing, I'm a product development engineer by trade. They also build their frames by the boat load. So it is kinda fishy that they charge $1400 for a frame alone and $1600 for the whole bike when the components of that new bike can easily cost more than the frame individually. Guess there just isn't money in selling frames alone.
Old 06-16-10, 12:42 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Volume shmolume... I can't remember which brand bike it was but the price of the frame (MSRP, which is no indication that you'd be able to get it for that exact price anyway) and the price of teh frame with wheels, bars, components everything were *identical*.

Kind of sucks for me... I seem to be one of those replace half the bike at a time guys... new group this time, new frame the next time etc.

I wonder how much of their pricing model is cost-plus, and how much is like-item pricing (well, if Trek charges 2,999 for a carbon frame then we will too). Bikes seem to cluster quite heavily around certain price points.

Of course, the manufacturer selling groups at a heavy discount to move frames still doesn't explain how I was able to get probably $1200 worth of extra wheels, seats, bars, tires etc. etc. for approximately $300 extra where a frame isn't even in the discussion! Worked out well for me of course, I'm not complaining.