Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Clyde Friendly Chains

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 04:15 PM
Fam

Bikes: 2016 Raleigh Merit 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clyde Friendly Chains

I'm in the market for a new MTB. At 6'2" 285# it is no small task deciding on what to buy. After going to various shops I have narrowed down my choices to: Motobecane Fantom ProSL, GF Cobia, or Giant Talon 29er 1.

I'm really leaning towards the Moto due to the amazing feature set for the price. I plan on buying the Park Tools AK-37 as well as a new chain for the bike. I tried doing some searches in the forums but can't say I had any luck finding chain recommendations.

So....what chains are you guys using? Also, what are your thoughts on SRAM Powerlink and clydes?

TIA
Old 06-16-10, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to buy a new chain for a new bike, but my guess is that any chain that would fit the bike would be much stronger than necessary. Chains are very strong. I suspect the re-usable links are even stronger.
Old 06-16-10, 05:04 PM
Fam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems the chain that comes with the Moto is junk. Sorry I didn't mention that in the first post.

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/c...49_110crx.aspx
Old 06-16-10, 05:31 PM

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I'd go with the SRAM PC-971. I've always had good luck with SRAM chains and their quick links.
Old 06-16-10, 05:35 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use the SRAM PC 51 ($20). In 5 years, never a chain broken or problem. BeforeI used Ultegra and 105 for 10 years, never a problem there either. I go for price unless I have a problem, never have.
Old 06-16-10, 07:18 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Spin, don't mash. You should ride your bike, not wreck it.
Old 06-17-10, 03:51 PM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an SRAM PowerLink (weight about 250 lbs atm), and no issues so far. I ride an 8-speed commuter (aka hybrid) from REI. Was using the SRAM chains with it, but just switched to a Shimano because of a better fit for the Shimano hub.
Old 06-17-10, 05:24 PM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've only seen broken chains in the following conditions:
1) Fixie skidding
2) Worn out, unlubricated, and rusty
Old 06-18-10, 06:16 AM

Bikes: only 8 or 9 at present.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've broken several chains on my mtb, I'm a clyde and a grinder so they don't last many months.
but I switched to a Rohloff chain and it's the first chain that have lasted more than a season.
There are no real difference between Sram and Shimano chains if you ask me, they are not suited for mtb riding.
Old 06-18-10, 08:56 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CACycling
I'd go with the SRAM PC-971. I've always had good luck with SRAM chains and their quick links.
+1
I have this chain on 2 of my bikes: My brevet/long-distance bike, and on my ss/fg bike. I've never had a problem with it on either one, and I stomp my way up some steep and long hills on the fixed gear.
Old 06-18-10, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have KMC DX-10SC chain. I bent a link couple of weeks ago due to my lousy shifting technique. First time I ever had a chain problem.
Old 06-18-10, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I now have a SRAM PC850 w/ Powerlink - got it for $17 at REI. I've had it on a few weeks. Not much of a track record to report on yet, but I assume it'll be fine. The chain that came stock on my Target Schwinn (chain brand unknown, maybe cheapest Shimano entry at best, but certainly no better than the SRAM) lasted me through over 3,000 miles of year-round all weather commuting and not always the best chain maintenance practices.

As others have said, chains are strong. I wouldn't worry.
Old 06-18-10, 10:50 AM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never had a chain break in my life, and as a kid we didn't ever oil our chains, and those were cheap walmart/Ames bikes.

I have always used SRAM chains, except my Sirrus came with a KMC, and I bought a KMC BMX chain for my SS MTB. I even put a SRAM powerlink on my Sirrus, so that I could remove the chain easier. It works fine on the KMC chain, too.

Proper maintanence will keep a chain running strong for many miles on the road, however offroad I would replace the chain more often. No matter how well you keep a mountain bike chain clean when your NOT riding it, when you ARE riding it there is dirt and grime and all sorts of abrasives in your chain doing damage. That is why I use wax lubes on my off-road/stone path bikes. The wax, IMO, creates a better barrier for the chain than oil does.
Old 06-18-10, 11:21 AM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
I've broken 3 shimanos. never a sram. The shimanos use a pin that you have to replace. The sram quick links have always work great for me. I use a sram 8 speed n my ss, and a 9 speed on everything else.
Old 06-18-10, 08:30 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gus69
I've broken several chains on my mtb, I'm a clyde and a grinder so they don't last many months.
but I switched to a Rohloff chain and it's the first chain that have lasted more than a season.
There are no real difference between Sram and Shimano chains if you ask me, they are not suited for mtb riding.
2 fails
Old 06-19-10, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fam
It seems the chain that comes with the Moto is junk. Sorry I didn't mention that in the first post.

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/c...49_110crx.aspx
You have to take the mtbr.com "reviews" with a grain of salt, or more like a 20kg bag of salt. I remember reading a review a few years ago, where a guy took a $350 mountain bike, jumped it off a 20' cliff, and called it a piece of garbage because the 65mm fork broke. I guess he expected the same level of performance from the 65mm travel fork on a $350 bike as the 15cm travel on a $3500 bike.....

Chains that break have either been abused or they were not properly installed in the first place.

Abuse can take several forms:
1) Not keeping the chain well maintained, failure to properly clean and lubricate the chain.
2) Chain suck.
3) Mashing starts.
4) Dérailleur into the spokes due to improper limit adjustment.
5) Shifting under heavy load.
6) Excessive cross chaining.

I've never broken a chain, ever, I first rode a bicycle when I was 6, and I turned 49, yesterday... Now I did take a few years off in there (like 20), but still. I have put enough distance on a few chains to wear them out, but have never actually broken one.
Old 06-19-10, 08:45 AM
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogsterca
You have to take the mtbr.com "reviews" with a grain of salt, or more like a 20kg bag of salt. I remember reading a review a few years ago, where a guy took a $350 mountain bike, jumped it off a 20' cliff, and called it a piece of garbage because the 65mm fork broke. I guess he expected the same level of performance from the 65mm travel fork on a $350 bike as the 15cm travel on a $3500 bike.....

Chains that break have either been abused or they were not properly installed in the first place.

Abuse can take several forms:
1) Not keeping the chain well maintained, failure to properly clean and lubricate the chain.
2) Chain suck.
3) Mashing starts.
4) Dérailleur into the spokes due to improper limit adjustment.
5) Shifting under heavy load.
6) Excessive cross chaining.

I've never broken a chain, ever, I first rode a bicycle when I was 6, and I turned 49, yesterday... Now I did take a few years off in there (like 20), but still. I have put enough distance on a few chains to wear them out, but have never actually broken one.

This is my experience, too. I'm pretty hard on chains, and they wear out pretty quickly. I also replace them at the first sign of wear. I got around 1,000 miles out of a $40 Wippermann, and only about 1500 miles out of an $80 Sram PC1070, which showed no measurable wear at 1200 miles. I've now gone back to the Wippermann. At that rate of wear it's economically more sensible to use whatever is on sale at my LBS.
Old 06-19-10, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage
I have KMC DX-10SC chain. I bent a link couple of weeks ago due to my lousy shifting technique. First time I ever had a chain problem.
This is the only chain I've ever had a problem with! The one on my touring bike stretched to the point of being useless in less than 750 miles, and the (aptly named?) Missing Link let go almost causing a crash! I went back to SRAM chains; they've never given me a problem...
Old 06-19-10, 08:56 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
I got around 1,000 miles out of a $40 Wippermann, and only about 1500 miles out of an $80 Sram PC1070, which showed no measurable wear at 1200 miles.
$80 for a PC1070? Yikes!!! JensonUISA is selling the both 1090 and 1090R for $45/ea. I just bought a pair; one to use and one as a spare...
Old 06-21-10, 12:53 PM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no real opinion on your bike choices, but there is an awesome Specialized dealer on Trindle Road in Mechanicsburg that might be worth checking out.

Also wanted to say hello from over on the West Shore
Old 06-21-10, 03:11 PM
Fam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll take the advice and wait for it to break before replacing it. I can always buy the chain and have it on standby.
Originally Posted by bautieri
I have no real opinion on your bike choices, but there is an awesome Specialized dealer on Trindle Road in Mechanicsburg that might be worth checking out.

Also wanted to say hello from over on the West Shore
Thanks again for the reply to my PM. Those guys on Trindle aren't bad but I ended up getting the Moto. I just couldn't settle for a Dart3 with the Rockhopper Comp/Expert 29 when I could get a Reba and XT/XTR components with the Moto for the same price range. If you ever get a chance check out Downhill From Here in Hummelstown. They had some great guys working in there and the owner is really hip!
Old 06-21-10, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3390 Post(s)
Liked 5,571 Times in 2,890 Posts
Ignore the MTBR site.
KMC is one of the top chain mfgrs and produces chains for at least one other very well-known brand.

Ride the chain that comes with the bike until it is worn out.
Then replace it with a SRAM.
My preference for SRAM is mainly because it comes with a separable link.

The *only* chain problem I ever had was a Wippermann separable link separating during a shift.
Old 06-22-10, 06:19 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fam
Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll take the advice and wait for it to break before replacing it. I can always buy the chain and have it on standby.

Thanks again for the reply to my PM. Those guys on Trindle aren't bad but I ended up getting the Moto. I just couldn't settle for a Dart3 with the Rockhopper Comp/Expert 29 when I could get a Reba and XT/XTR components with the Moto for the same price range. If you ever get a chance check out Downhill From Here in Hummelstown. They had some great guys working in there and the owner is really hip!
Dang it, I forgot all about that PM

So did you got ahead and order the moto? If you did I would be very interested in seeing it, I've never had a chance to check out a bikesdirect bike in person. Perhaps we could meet up on the greenbelt sometime. Thanks for the tip about the shop, next time I'm in the market for a new bike I'll check them out. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon though. Mrs. Bautieri might be a little sore with me if I bring another bike home.
Old 06-22-10, 06:52 AM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Ignore the MTBR site.
KMC is one of the top chain mfgrs and produces chains for at least one other very well-known brand.

Ride the chain that comes with the bike until it is worn out.
Then replace it with a SRAM.
My preference for SRAM is mainly because it comes with a separable link.

The *only* chain problem I ever had was a Wippermann separable link separating during a shift.
BTW replacement KMC chains also come with a replaceable link. Pretty much all of the replacement chains come with them now, except Shimano and Campy, because it's far more economically sensible for the company to charge you over $1 a piece for replacement pins that they pay 2¢ a piece to manufacture.
Old 06-22-10, 03:19 PM
Fam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bautieri
Dang it, I forgot all about that PM

So did you got ahead and order the moto? If you did I would be very interested in seeing it, I've never had a chance to check out a bikesdirect bike in person. Perhaps we could meet up on the greenbelt sometime. Thanks for the tip about the shop, next time I'm in the market for a new bike I'll check them out. Hopefully that won't be anytime soon though. Mrs. Bautieri might be a little sore with me if I bring another bike home.
Yup..the Moto will be here tomorrow. Hopefully my bike tools ships out today maybe I'll receive them at the same time.

I'd have no problem meeting up on the 'Belt to show you the bike.