Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Very Tall Commuter, Looking for Advice on a New Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there, new to the forums (and to all things biking) but looks like a cool place. Looking for a new bike as the trek 800 I had was stolen. Taking the opportunity now to hopefully buy something that fits better.

I'm a very big skinny guy, ~6'10" tall and about a 38" inseam. Unfortunately getting a custom build isn't really an option for a while (and I wouldn't want to drop that much money until I was 100% sure what I wanted). My limit's about $500.

I don't really foresee needing to carry a ton of stuff with me (I have a car too) so I'm ambivalent about racks, but the option to add fenders would be nice. Mostly just want this for fun, some light commuting, and fitness.

The first bike shop I went to is looking up the options for Giant and Specialized bikes for me. The second one recommends a Cannondale Quick 5 for $499 (which they actually have in stock in the biggest "Jumbo" size, but I haven't ridden yet because it was in a box in the back).

Any advice on these brands or others? As far as sizing goes the bigger the better, and I'm really flexible on the style if it means I can get a better fit. Thanks!

Last edited by Noff; 06-17-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 07:40 PM
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Wow, how long is your torso? I'm 6'5" and your inseam is only 1" longer than mine.
Old 06-16-10, 07:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually that's going by jeans inseam, which is a 38 or 40. Just realized biking inseam might go down to the ground instead of the ankle? But I'm actually all legs so I guess 38 can't be right.
Old 06-16-10, 10:08 PM

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Windsor Cliff 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's going to be pretty tough in that budget. I'm 6'5" and I find I'm at the tall end of most bikes. The one exception is my Motobecane Vent Noir size 64 cm. That was too big for me, had to get a much shorter stem. It's at bikesdirect. Maybe the Cafe Noir would work? But it's over your budget.

Perhaps look on Craigslist for older 64 cm bikes.
Old 06-16-10, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Citybikes has a 25" urban xpress. https://citybikes.coop/citybike.html Not sure if it would be big enough, or if it's possible to get one to wherever you are.
Old 06-17-10, 03:23 AM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Consider a Soma Smoothie ES frame, they are available in a 66 cm size.
If you go with this also suggest 36 spoke wheels.
Also a Surly Karate Monkey XL frame set it pretty big, might work well also.
Not sure of your budget, LBS build of the above frames with 1x9 set up and
LX or 105 level components should be around $1400.
You would get a great fitting and riding bike with a pragmatic drive train.
Old 06-17-10, 03:42 AM

Bikes: Giant Rincon '08, Nashbar CX Homebrew

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's a good/basic bike frame sizing website at: https://www.ebicycles.com/article/bic...ze-charts.html. A lot of frames today utilize a more compact geometry with the sloping top tube. I think the advantage is a particular frame size will fit a broader range of riders. And I'm sure helps the manufacturer cut down on the number of different frames to supply. Good luck with your quest and welcome to BF! Let us all know what you find out there.
Old 06-17-10, 09:23 AM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek makes the FX series in a 25 inch frame. Still not sure if that's big enough for you, but maybe.
Old 06-17-10, 09:27 AM
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by doorunrun
There's a good/basic bike frame sizing website at: https://www.ebicycles.com/article/bic...ze-charts.html. A lot of frames today utilize a more compact geometry with the sloping top tube. I think the advantage is a particular frame size will fit a broader range of riders. And I'm sure helps the manufacturer cut down on the number of different frames to supply. Good luck with your quest and welcome to BF! Let us all know what you find out there.
I just looked at this, and it doesn't even go up to his height.

In our local craigslist I do sometimes see some really big bikes for sale. Not sure where you are, but it might be an option.
Old 06-17-10, 11:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the help so far, and I realize this is kind of a tall order.

I think I'm looking for something closer to a mountain bike/hybrid, as I'd like to do some light trail riding and I'm not really concerned about speed. I'm in Richmond, Virginia by the way.

As for the Trek FX, I've noticed most of their urban/bike path bikes are available in slightly bigger sizes. Is this because they're actually bigger, or because they're shaped a bit more like a road bike and the dimensions aren't really comparable to a mountain bike?
Old 06-17-10, 03:04 PM

Bikes: "10" Trek 7.3, early 90's Raliegh Dash, late 80's Takara 12spd Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wear a 38" inseam in Jeans and bought an fx 7.3 in a size 25 and it may be a bit on the tall side for me but like it.
Old 06-17-10, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2002 Litespeed Vortex - 2007 Trek Madone 5.9 - 2004 Redline Conquest Pro - Specialized S-Works Festina Team Model - 93 Cannondale M 800 Beast of the East

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Perhaps post a letter to Leonard Zinn either at his website, or through Velonews. He is a tall rider advocate (since he is also tall) and knows the ropes when it comes to fitting tall folks to tall bikes.

www.zinncycles.com/

To get something that fits you really well, so that cycling isn't totally frustrating, you may have to alter your budget expectations.

Last edited by Kojak; 06-17-10 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 04:47 PM

Bikes: 2010 Windsor Tourist, 2004 Custom SWB Recumbent, Unicycle, and a pile of pieces

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noff
Thanks for all the help so far, and I realize this is kind of a tall order.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ perhaps not intentional, but funny as hell. Even for a stumpy 5'6" guy like me.

Last edited by TomT74; 06-17-10 at 04:48 PM. Reason: typos!
Old 06-17-10, 11:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 6'7" in the old scale, and I ride a trek 7.2fx 25". It's a really tall bike, but I can't see it being long enough for you. I find myself wishing I could reach a bit further forward while riding - but I'm pretty long in the torso, and with fenders I get a bit of toe-strike at the front.

Also, I weigh about 115kg, and the 32 spoke rear wheel just couldn't take it. I broke three spokes in the first few months of riding. I've had to get a proper wheel built to replace it.

I sat on a 22.5" Trek 4300, and that was a big bike. The 24" might be big enough.

Good luck with the hunting, I know how frustrating it can get, and I'm quite a bit shorter than you.