Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bob and I Finally Meet

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bob and I Finally Meet

Old 09-08-04, 12:09 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bob and I Finally Meet

Ever since living in my new home (almost 3 years now) and riding regularly on the local bike path behind my house, I have seen a gentleman about my age riding either his mountain bike or road bike just about every time I go out.

I have tried to encourage some friendliness, have waved and nodded hello regularly.

This year I got him to wave back and a couple of times to say "Hello."

Today, he passed me and asked as he was passing if I had a computer, and if I did, could I measure a specific distance for him. I said yes, and we met further down the trail where he waited for me.

His name is Bob, he is 66, and he rides the exact same 40 mile route EVERY DAY. He used to run marathons, and that is how he trained for marathons. He is 66 yo, and lives a little further from the trail than I do.

The reason he wanted me to measure was that some construction has changed the trail in one portion for awhile, and he is marking out another exact 40 mile route - which he does in 2.5 hours, winter or summer, except in blizzards. For some reason, he has no computer on his bike.

That means he generally rides 280 miles per week, or about 1200 miles per month.

I explained that I liked variety, and rode new areas whenever I could, and I loved to explore. Not for him, he left no doubt about that!

I rode back with him several miles, and although he stated, "I am going on ahead of you" I easily kept up with him (pat myself on the back!). We were going about 23 mph.

He rides in the drops about 90% of the time, and stand to pump frequently!

I really enjoy meeting new folks.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-08-04 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 01:18 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2001 Look KG 241, 1989 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp, 1986 Gatane Performanc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guy is stuck in a rut.
Old 09-08-04, 04:00 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by galen_52657
Guy is stuck in a rut.
True, but it works for him!
Old 09-08-04, 04:19 PM
Rider in the Storm

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, KHS Fiero (Fixed), Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
280 miles a week at 66 years old is exactly the kind of rut I want to be in when I arrive at that age.
Old 09-08-04, 06:30 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What a great story. Love hearing about people who do things their way.
Old 09-08-04, 06:34 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older people like ruts as it makes them feel secure. At 66 i hope i can do the same. My dad was doing 30-40 miles aday at 79 on his CD R600. He gave me his GT that he had put 15000 on.
Old 09-08-04, 06:37 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by shokhead
Older people like ruts as it makes them feel secure. At 66 i hope i can do the same.
You are kidding, right?

How can you justify a statement like this?

Can I then say, "Younger people . . (whatever)"

People in general just don't fit easily into molds, and it is not appropriate to place them there.

I am this fellows same age, and I couldn't stand to do what he does. I need VARIETY and change. No ruts for me!

This fellow has done this type of training all of his life. He did the same thing when he ran marathons. It is who he is, not his age!

This is one of the reasons we need a 50+ forum - to have a place to get rid of these myths.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-08-04 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-08-04, 07:27 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Better to be stuck in a rut than stuck in a grave.
Old 09-08-04, 08:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
You are kidding, right?

How can you justify a statement like this?

Can I then say, "Younger people . . (whatever)"

People in general just don't fit easily into molds, and it is not appropriate to place them there.

I am this fellows same age, and I couldn't stand to do what he does. I need VARIETY and change. No ruts for me!

This fellow has done this type of training all of his life. He did the same thing when he ran marathons. It is who he is, not his age!

This is one of the reasons we need a 50+ forum - to have a place to get rid of these myths.
Thats nice,thats you but most older people like the security of having the same thing,doing the same thing,going the same way,it makes them feel secure.
Old 09-08-04, 08:56 PM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ya, now that I'm old, I like the security of having a bowl of oatmeal every day for breakfast!!!
I couldn't imagine doing the exact same ride every day, but, people are different!!
Old 09-08-04, 09:07 PM
Banned.

Thats nice,thats you but most older people like the security of having the same thing,doing the same thing,going the same way,it makes them feel secure.
Now you have changed your premise from "Old people like ruts" to "most older people like the security of having the same thing,doing the same thing,going the same way,it makes them feel secure." What further changes in your premise can we expect as this discussion progresses? Please take a stand and support it, period.

Please be so kind as to cite your source for any of these conclusions. Unless you have some valid research or studies, they are simply uninformed opinions. It is not appropriate logic to make broad generalizations on opinions.

AS I think about the folks I know who are 50+, the following folks come to mind.

1. A couple in their late 70's or early 80's who just came back from Africa where they spent several weeks teaching English to African natives in a native village. He has organized a men's study group here in Parker, she is active in many organizations.

2. A whole bunch of folks 50's, 60's and 70's who spent several weeks this summer on the Indian reservations in South Dakota building and repairing houses.

3. Folks who travel, go on cruises, visit family all over the country.

4. A lady who is in charge of the local Food Bank, who just came back from a bicycling tour of Italy.

5. For a listing of some of the interesting and challenging activities for 50+'sers, please see:

https://www.elderhostel.org/welcome/home.asp

Etc, etc.

In fact, the ONLY 50+ person I know who is "in a rut" is Bob, and I only met him yesterday. And I have no clue as to whether or not he is in a rut in anything in his life except bicycling.

Oh, I do have a bowl of oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast, also. I guess I an "rutified."

Last edited by DnvrFox; 09-09-04 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-09-04, 08:24 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok,your right. Feel better? I am kind to old people. I know the mobile home parks i have lived in and visit where most are in the late 60's on walk the same route,go to the same place to eat,visit the same people at the same times everyday. My mom,dad,uncle,aunt all over 70 are for the most part the same way but i have'nt done a study like i guess you have so ok,i give up,you are right as rain.Geez!
Old 09-09-04, 08:35 AM
Banned.

Ok,your right. Feel better? I am kind to old people. I know the mobile home parks i have lived in and visit where most are in the late 60's on walk the same route,go to the same place to eat,visit the same people at the same times everyday. My mom,dad,uncle,aunt all over 70 are for the most part the same way but i have'nt done a study like i guess you have so ok,i give up,you are right as rain.Geez!
Much of our world view is dependent upon our personal experiences. It is like the old adage about the blind men and the elephant. In your world, older folks act as you describe them. In mine they don't. It is inappropriate for either of us to make generalizations about 50+ folks based upon the world only as we have seen it. That is why studies and research are important in making generalizations, and, more importantly, in defining problems and providing solutions.

And I am glad you are kind to old people. I need some kindness today!

Have a great day.

Got to go for a ride now!
Old 09-09-04, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

I rode back with him several miles, and although he stated, "I am going on ahead of you" I easily kept up with him (pat myself on the back!). We were going about 23 mph.

Can you keep up the whole distance?
Old 09-09-04, 08:52 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw something on the news that not changing things up as you get older leads to senility (it was a few years back, don't ask for quotes or links) Basically the premise was that if you didn't have new experiences and challenges, your brain atrophies like any other muscle.

I'm not old or senile, but I do know that being stuck in a rut can lead to at least depression...

Seems somewhat relavent...

Back to the original post:

I met a guy in his sixties on the trail at 3am the week that the Light Rail opened here. He was jogging into work, out at the airport, 40 miles each way. This was going to be his first ride on the train. He seemed really happy about it. I guess he rollerblades or jogs year round!!! I told him he should get a bike, and he said he'd thought about it, then we went our ways...
Old 09-09-04, 09:01 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by FXjohn
Can you keep up the whole distance?
I don't know, and further I just can't figure out why you would care?

How in the slightest is this important to the thread?
Old 09-09-04, 09:05 AM

I don't know, and further I just can't figure out why you would care?

How in the slightest is this important to the thread?
Geez, sensitive!!

I was just gonna say "good going" if you could
Old 09-09-04, 09:06 AM
Banned.

Geez, sensitive!!

I was just gonna say "good going" if you could
Well, most likely I can't, as I generally ride 20 miles each day, and he rides 40.

But, thanks for the thought.
Old 09-09-04, 09:11 AM

Well, most likely I can't, as I generally ride 20 miles each day, and he rides 40.

But, thanks for the thought.

Maybe you could start trying to pace him on his route for training?

40 miles a day, that's quite a bit.
I can't wait till I retire so I have time to ride that much, swim, cook, etc.
Riding in the dark isn't as fun, working 8 a day and all.

You'll work up to it!
Old 09-09-04, 09:53 AM
Banned.

Maybe you could start trying to pace him on his route for training?

40 miles a day, that's quite a bit.
I can't wait till I retire so I have time to ride that much, swim, cook, etc.
Riding in the dark isn't as fun, working 8 a day and all.

You'll work up to it!
Thanks for the idea, but I would go out of my mind doing the same 40 miles each day. Also, my schedule is quite variable, his seems constant.

I love exploring, sometimes I take the mtn bike and try new trails, always have at least a bit different route each day.

I don't consider myself "retired" yet. I am currently studying for the ACE personal trainer fitness certificate, and I have a contact to start a senior fitness program once I attain my certification.

Have a great day and ride.
Old 09-09-04, 06:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the idea, but I would go out of my mind doing the same 40 miles each day. Also, my schedule is quite variable, his seems constant.

I love exploring, sometimes I take the mtn bike and try new trails, always have at least a bit different route each day.

I don't consider myself "retired" yet. I am currently studying for the ACE personal trainer fitness certificate, and I have a contact to start a senior fitness program once I attain my certification.

Have a great day and ride.
That sounds interesting, would love to do something like that when the time was right. How long does it take to get the personal trainer fitness certificate?
Old 09-09-04, 06:53 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by oldspark
That sounds interesting, would love to do something like that when the time was right. How long does it take to get the personal trainer fitness certificate?
There are a variety of options. There is a vocational program here in Denver where you pay a goodly sum to be trained. There is also self-study, along with a "pre-test" course (optional), which is where I am at.

The exam is November 6th - My 65th Birthday is November 7th

There are about 200 certifications, many of them not worth the paper on which they are written. For example, many of them use take home tests.

I have chosen one of the four or so nationally recognized programs, and am using their self-study material.

I have chosen American Council on Exercise, which is a good basic all 'round certification.

Koffee Brown is extremely knowledgeable in this area, and she has guided me by private email and helped me to avoid one program, International Sports Science Association, which has a great web site, etc., but the certification is not well respected in the field - i.e., you can't get a job at our local rec center with ISSA certification.

I have formed a friendship with the owner of a local gym - we ride bikes together, and he is interested in my doing a special 50+ program for baby boomers at the gym once I get certified.
Old 09-09-04, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most Old folks stuck in a rut!!!!

Yeh, right

Over 60 here,started cycling a while ago,went to Europe recently did 2 months, took my bike and luged it thru train stations, metro trains, rode it in Paris,to A/Dam, Berlin, Munich, Dresden,Prague, Budapest ,parts of the Danube bike path, Vienna and N.W. Italy. Did hiking and climbing in the Valle D'osta made it to 11K feet on several peaks. I logged about 1500Kilomters before I lost the putr

Doing the Pacific Coast Hiway end of September and early October, any young guys care to come along? Then to Palm Springs to ride in the Coachella Valley with a bud and then more climbing at Jasper Tree

Back to Europe in April and plan to go as far east as Istanbul, and a month in Spain. Enrolled in a Spanish class now

You younger guys out of breath yet?

YEH, Older folks in a rut

BTW when I saw my cardiologist for a stress test before I left, he shook his head at the results, told me I could take 10-15 years off my age the results were so impressive

Most generalities are false
Old 09-09-04, 08:40 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
they are simply uninformed opinions
This is the essence of forums/message boards.
Old 09-09-04, 09:41 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also could not imagine doing the same route every day. Some of my best rides were/are totally unplanned..... I just go off that-a-way, ride till I hit 15-20 miles then work my way back home. I"ll know when I'm getting senile, when I can't find my way back home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.