Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Need Help Selecting HRM and Cyclocomputer

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-10, 11:46 PM

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm considering making my graduation present from being a Clydesdale either an HRM or a Cyclocomputer, or a combined unit if possible. But shopping on amazon and stuff is just a pain in the butt, and I don't know what I'm really looking at.

What I'm looking for:

HRM: All I need is something that tells me my current, average, and max, or whatever else is really important. All the nice zone and training stuff can be optional.

Cyclocomputer: Need one that gets the basics; current speed, average speed, max speed, trip and total miles. Would love cadence but can live without.

I have one of the polar watch mounts installed, came with the bike, so if i get one of the watches I can just strap it onto the bars. I know that polar makes a computer that does HR as well, but is it decent?

Would like to spend less then $100 bucks on the outfit if possible.

Thanks for the help. At my current rate of weight loss I will be below 200 in a couple weeks, and I feel great already. Once I get below 200 I know it will get tough, so the HRM is to help me keep the weight loss going , and the bike computer because mapmyride is all i have right now to get my milage, and I have no idea how fast im going (although I'm pretty sure I'm speeding downtown, I keep up with traffic and I know they aren't going the 25 mph speed limit...)
Old 06-20-10, 05:29 AM
hamster with funny pants

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Polar is a good brand. I've never tried any of their watch-based products, but have had good luck with the ones that are made for biking only (i.e., don't come as a watch, but mount more or less permanently to your bar). You can get some of their bike-specific products for something in the $100 range, though outfitting them for cadence and HRM might push you somewhat over your $100 goal. Check out what they have on Competitive Cyclist. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...puters.68.html

Congrats on graduation!
Old 06-20-10, 09:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuma
Polar is a good brand. I've never tried any of their watch-based products, but have had good luck with the ones that are made for biking only (i.e., don't come as a watch, but mount more or less permanently to your bar). You can get some of their bike-specific products for something in the $100 range, though outfitting them for cadence and HRM might push you somewhat over your $100 goal. Check out what they have on Competitive Cyclist. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ro...puters.68.html

Congrats on graduation!
Haha, not there yet, but getting close. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-21-10, 08:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found that you can get the 2008 model of the 100 for 70 bucks. Might try that out.
Old 06-21-10, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey - Chris from Polar here. At that price point, take a look at the CS100.. Sounds like it has all you need and some Let me know if you have any questions!

Chris
Old 06-22-10, 07:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to hijack, but I'm assuming that with the wireless units, you can mount the sensor on the chainstay for rear wheel readout????
Old 06-23-10, 07:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@Davesax - usually at the lower prices, the wireless sensors work on a 5kHz frequency which is only good for a few feet and have trouble when mounted on the chainstay. In the Polar line, the CS100 and CS200 have this issue.

When you go up in cost with computers they mostly work on a digital frequency(2.4gHz). So in the Polar line the CS500 and CS600x have this and can be mounted on the rear wheel with great performance.

This holds true with other brands as well.
Old 06-25-10, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Chris from Polar, I have a Polar F6 HRM where the "watch" portion up and died. Is there a way to tell if my T31 transmitter is alive and kicking so I can buy the CS100b rather than the CS100?
Old 06-25-10, 08:59 PM
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CS100 looks and sounds great, but can you export data to your computer?
Old 06-25-10, 09:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 200 is on sale at performance bike for 100 dollars with coded transmitter. Might have to jump on it.
Old 06-25-10, 09:44 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Google a bit before you do it. I was a little shocked when I googled "CS100 forum" to get results of people talking about the CS100. It quickly became apparent that there's a lot of people currently unhappy with Polar products in general and their combo cycling computers/HRM specifically. I had thought my Polar F6 lasting just a year was a fluke but I guess not. Additionally, and I haven't talked to Polar to confirm it, but numerous people also mentioned that Polar won't replace the batteries in the speed and cadence sensors. You have to throw them out and buy new when they run down. That alone is enough to put me off buying from Polar. That's just so incredibly wasteful and irresponsible of them that I'm kind of shocked.

After some more googling, I turned up a product from Cateye called the V3. Does it all, doesn't cost much more than the CS100, and all the batteries are user-replaceable. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone talking about it breaking on them. I'll be ordering one when I can scrape together the money.
Old 06-25-10, 10:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the Strada Double Wireless? It's by Cateye but only 100 dollars (the cheapest V3 is 150).

Edit, NM no HR
Old 06-25-10, 10:01 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Doesn't do heart rate.
Old 06-26-10, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cjzoller
@Davesax - usually at the lower prices, the wireless sensors work on a 5kHz frequency which is only good for a few feet and have trouble when mounted on the chainstay. In the Polar line, the CS100 and CS200 have this issue.

When you go up in cost with computers they mostly work on a digital frequency(2.4gHz). So in the Polar line the CS500 and CS600x have this and can be mounted on the rear wheel with great performance.

This holds true with other brands as well.
Good to know. Maybe i'm not selling my garmin after all.... that sucks.
Old 06-26-10, 08:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by williaty
Chris from Polar, I have a Polar F6 HRM where the "watch" portion up and died. Is there a way to tell if my T31 transmitter is alive and kicking so I can buy the CS100b rather than the CS100?
Sorry I missed this yesterday, have access to a gym or treadmill? Most machines are Polar ready..
Old 06-26-10, 08:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by williaty
Google a bit before you do it. I was a little shocked when I googled "CS100 forum" to get results of people talking about the CS100. It quickly became apparent that there's a lot of people currently unhappy with Polar products in general and their combo cycling computers/HRM specifically. I had thought my Polar F6 lasting just a year was a fluke but I guess not. Additionally, and I haven't talked to Polar to confirm it, but numerous people also mentioned that Polar won't replace the batteries in the speed and cadence sensors. You have to throw them out and buy new when they run down. That alone is enough to put me off buying from Polar. That's just so incredibly wasteful and irresponsible of them that I'm kind of shocked.

After some more googling, I turned up a product from Cateye called the V3. Does it all, doesn't cost much more than the CS100, and all the batteries are user-replaceable. So far, I haven't been able to find anyone talking about it breaking on them. I'll be ordering one when I can scrape together the money.
Just a few points on this.

1) Early versions of the CS computers had some minor issues, all of which we stood behind and replaced. Everything pretty much has been long resolved and warranty return rate is much lower than industry standards.

2) The CS sensors are sealed and the batteries cant be replaced. BUT, we replace them for free if dead within 2 years, and after 2 years we give a huge discount on replacements($19). They last on average 3000 riding hours. So under $20 maintenance after 2-5 years is nothing IMO. We recycle everything.
Old 06-26-10, 09:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Well, that's good to hear and certainly better than what the internet made it sound (big surprise, huh?).

Thanks.
Old 07-06-10, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up getting the Polar CS200 off nashbar as my sub 210 present, gloves are not important as I haven't needed them, they can wait till 200. They had the 200 it for 99.99, but they had a fourth of july promo for 20% off orders over 100 dollars. I needed cleat covers anyway (I'm destroying these look deltas HARD), so that put me over 100, ordered, and with tax and shipping it came out almost at 100. I feel I made out well.

First tried fooling around with the HRM in my room, worked rather well, did some jumping jacks holding the thing in my hand.

Next was installing the sensor. First of all, thank goodness they sent it with extra zip ties, because I mixed up the rubber mounts somehow. Fixed that, and got everything working, spun the wheel a couple times to make sure it was reading, then tightened everything up, checked again, and took a test lap.

So far everything is good. If I end up having problems with polar in the future then I'll have to try something else. I will get the cadence sensor when I get to an even lower weight. Thanks for all the responses.