Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question on type shoe for pedal?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 01:08 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Okay,https://www.cehoward.net/pedal34.jpg I am a newbie, and with that said, what kind of shoe do I need to go with pedals like this??
Thanks in advance..

Old 06-20-10, 02:40 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
You need a road shoe- one that has three screw holes in a triangle on the bottom.
Old 06-20-10, 05:11 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
You need a road shoe- one that has three screw holes in a triangle on the bottom.
Thanks much.

I love this place!!
Old 06-23-10, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You will also need a set of Shimano SPD-SL cleats for those shoes...
Old 06-24-10, 04:07 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg_R
You will also need a set of Shimano SPD-SL cleats for those shoes...
Greg, I am a newbie, with that said.

Are you saying that with the pedals in the picture, and the bikes shoes( Northwave cycling shoes) with the 3 holes in a triangle, I also need SPD-SL cleats for the shoes? Because I will be picking up a pair of new ones in my size I will be getting off of CL.

Thanks in advance for your feedback...
Old 06-24-10, 04:33 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scott CR1 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Those pedals appear to be older Dura Ace pedals, which means that yes, you will need SPD-SL cleats to be able to use them (Look cleats are not compatible). There are a 0 float and 6(i think it is 6) degree float options, which is your call. Generally unless you know you need no float at all, go with the float variant to protect your knees. Your shoes will need to have a 3 bolt (triangle) pattern, so you can't use MTB shoes, but any shoe with that pattern will work.
Old 06-28-10, 03:50 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by deep_sky
Those pedals appear to be older Dura Ace pedals, which means that yes, you will need SPD-SL cleats to be able to use them (Look cleats are not compatible). There are a 0 float and 6(i think it is 6) degree float options, which is your call. Generally unless you know you need no float at all, go with the float variant to protect your knees. Your shoes will need to have a 3 bolt (triangle) pattern, so you can't use MTB shoes, but any shoe with that pattern will work.
First, I just want to say that the feedback and help has been fantastic! This is another whole world for me, and I don't know jack right now!!

From, the feedback I got, I was able to get some bike shoes, and since I didn't know what is what, I took the shoe to LBS, along with a picture of the pedal. The LBS asked me what kind of pedal, and I flashed the picture. From the picture, that got me the right cleat to go into the shoe, and will fit the pedal.
For my first pair of bike shoes, I got a brand new pair off of CL in my size. Not only that, when I do put everything together, this will be my first ride on a biccycle with cleats on!! Oh boy!!

Here are the shoes, cleats and pedal.

Thanks much,

Last edited by cehowardGS; 06-28-10 at 04:40 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 02:58 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It looks like those shoes require a receptor plate to mount the cleats. Did a receptor plate come with the shoes?

The same shoe is for sale at STP. --> https://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...e-For-Men.html
Here's what is says about the shoes.
"The eye-catching Northwave Solo road cycling shoe features a separate receptor plate, making this shoe compatible with Look, Campagnolo and Miche road pedals."

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 06-28-10 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 06:16 AM

Bikes: 1997 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that you have the shoes make sure you read some of the threads on tipping over while still clipped in. Trust me you will do it we all do. Don't worry it hurts you ego more than anything! I suggest practicing clipping in and out while stationary and leaning against a wall and then practice more in an open parking lot or in your driveway.
Old 06-29-10, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Yeah, those shoes you bought look like they might have 4 holes, not 3 like the other person mentioned...
Old 06-29-10, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cmherrmann
Now that you have the shoes make sure you read some of the threads on tipping over while still clipped in. Trust me you will do it we all do. Don't worry it hurts you ego more than anything! I suggest practicing clipping in and out while stationary and leaning against a wall and then practice more in an open parking lot or in your driveway.
I wouldn't 100% agree - I "worry" about hitting another car or something with my car, keeps me cautious. If someone is new to clipless, hopeful a small amount of worry will motivate them to spend time practicing clipping in and out before doing any serious riding, which is highly recommended.

I don't quite agree with this "we all tip over" thing. Most of us practiced, and exactly once came to a dead stop, forgot to clip out in time after several no-fall rides, and fell over (again, at no speed). Then never let it happen again.
Old 06-30-10, 09:32 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I am getting top-notch feedback on this. Thanks much..

Okay, the cleats I purchased, even though I took the shoes, and the picture of the pedal to the LBS, don't fit. Even the screws in the package don't fit the holes.

On the receptor plate, I will have to find out about that. Right now, the cleats with the screws are wrong, so I will have to take that up with the LBS first. After that, if a receptor plate is needed, I will work on that..

I got a couple neighbors who ride in cleats, and they were giving me some tips. I got 5 bikes in my stable now, and only one requires cleats. The others have toe-straps. I will make this move to riding with cleats. It will be lots of practice time in parking lots to get the feel.

Right now, I just need to get these cleats on the shoe.
Old 07-01-10, 02:23 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I found out I am missing the receptor plate..
Old 07-01-10, 03:22 PM
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Happened to me the first time I bought road pedals and shoes as well. The bright side: probably won't happen again.
Old 07-01-10, 03:45 PM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Happened to me the first time I bought road pedals and shoes as well. The bright side: probably won't happen again.
Ha, the brought a laugh to my face, when I was trying to cry!! You called it right, this will be my first time in cleats. Looks like purchased the shoes without the receptor plate. The seller told me he purchased them at a race. I talked to the people at sierratradingpost.com. They told me since I didn't have an order number, they couldn't send me the plate. I offered to buy the plate. Still no go. They said if I had a order number/customer number, they would send me the plate free of charge. I wrote a not to the Northwave people in WA.

You are right, it won't happen again...