Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Coming to the USA

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Coming to the USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 01:46 PM
Staleger

Bikes: Jan de Jansen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming to the USA

Hey there good friends

I am a dutch man and mad about going on my 2 weels.
Now I am planning a trip to the USA - Midwest area (Misippi - Kentucky) for a long time next year august I thing.
Maybe there are people around you who have suggestions - road trips - overnight adresses etc.etc.

Info me....

Greets from Holland

Gerard
Old 06-20-10, 01:57 PM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Great Smokey Mountains in Kentucky is beautiful. Look up "Cades Cove".
Old 06-20-10, 02:03 PM
Staleger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountains o no LOL we do not have them here in Holland. But I have been in France and had no problems with them.
Thanks for the tip
Old 06-20-10, 03:29 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't make it clear if you're planning on bicycle touring or just some day riding. If touring, check out Adventure Cycling Association maps. The Transamerica Route goes through the area you'll be visiting. They are a great resource for touring cyclists. You can buy maps for short segments of a route. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the big scenic route through the area, with lots of steep climbs, so bring some low gears with you.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/
Old 06-21-10, 01:47 AM
Staleger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
You don't make it clear if you're planning on bicycle touring or just some day riding. If touring, check out Adventure Cycling Association maps. The Transamerica Route goes through the area you'll be visiting. They are a great resource for touring cyclists. You can buy maps for short segments of a route. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the big scenic route through the area, with lots of steep climbs, so bring some low gears with you.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/
Hello Cyclebum. for sure I will spend a long time in the USA. I can be there for 90 days when I am right so I will stay as long as I can stay and afford it.
The trip to mention looks absolute great and a great adventure. Did you do the trip there?
I must be sometime close to Paducah (Kentucky) as I have friends there but there is no time date so when I can visit the Blue Ridge Parkway I will be more than pleased.
Thanks .

Gerard - Holland
Old 06-21-10, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Although that part of the country wouldn't be my first choice for a tour, there are a few areas and rides you might want to consider. One is the Natchez Trace Parkway, a 710 km route from Nashville, Tennessee, to Natchez, Mississippi.

https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Many states have organized rides each year. The oldest and one of the best is called RAGBRAI, which crosses the state of Iowa from west to east every year during the last week of July. There are thousands of riders each year and it is very well organized and very inexpensive.

I hope you are aware that the Mississippi valley and southeastern US are extremely hot and humid in the summer. It is very different from the weather you are accustomed to in the Netherlands.

By the way, the Great Smoky Mountains are in eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina, not in Kentucky as you were told above.
Old 06-22-10, 02:41 AM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Great Smokey Mountains in Kentucky is beautiful. Look up "Cades Cove".
Blasphemy!!!!!!!

The smokies are in Tennessee and North Carolina.
Old 06-22-10, 06:12 AM
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
Blasphemy!!!!!!!

The smokies are in Tennessee and North Carolina.
I know that. Where in the heck did I get Kentucky********** Brain freeze or something.
Old 06-22-10, 07:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I hope you are aware that the Mississippi valley and southeastern US are extremely hot and humid in the summer. It is very different from the weather you are accustomed to in the Netherlands.
Very different. A Dutch friend of mine still recoils in horror if a lot of ordinary American weather stuff comes up. It's not unusual to have summer high temperatures of 32C or higher, with 90% humidity. Kentucky and Mississippi are part of Tornado Alley, so thunderstorms occur often, and tornadoes are not at all unusual. As a side effect, power outages are not unusual, since most electrical equipment doesn't much like 70mph winds or having a tree dropped on it. It is really important to be prepared for overheating, driving rain, heavy winds and potentially large flying objects. (I really hope not large flying objects... but there are reasons why Midwesterners have tornado drills)

Large portions of Mississippi and Kentucky cover the Appalachian mountains, which are the low mountain chain along the East Coast of the US. They are not spectacular looking mountains. This is ok. They make up for it by being very steep... lots of the technology for putting rail lines through steep terrain was first developed for the Appalachians. 5% grades are common (so gains 5m of height for every 100m you travel), and steeper is not unusual.
Old 06-26-10, 07:01 AM
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torrilin
... It's not unusual to have summer high temperatures of 32C or higher, with 90% humidity. ......

Large portions of Mississippi and Kentucky cover the Appalachian mountains, which are the low mountain chain along the East Coast of the US. They are not spectacular looking mountains. This is ok. .....
Just a few notes of differences. The southern states, as noted above several times, are very hot in summer. While Torrilin quotes 32C or higher, certainly do expect to have high temperatures of 35C (95F) to 39C (102F). Humidity is nasty and it will be humid. If you sleep in a tent, expect to sweat and be uncomfortable. A hammock is cooler, but if not well designed mosquitoes will bite through bottom of hammock.

The Appalachian Mountains don't appear in Mississippi, but they do stretch from Alabama to Maine in the USA. The highest peaks in the southern US are located in North Carolina and Tennessee. Here's a map:

https://kids.britannica.com/comptons/...hian-Mountains

In terms of appearance, they resemble the mountains around Baden Baden or Bavaria, Germany (minus the granite peaks of the Alps). Grades on the Blue Ridge Parkway range from 5% to 10% with most about 6% or 7%. Grades on access roads to the Parkway can be much steeper. The Blue Ridge Parkway will offer much cooler weather with temperatures ranging from 18C to 30C.

While I like the Blue Ridge Parkway for its scenery and cool weather during summer, I don't recommend it as a first or primary ride in the USA. You won't see much of the USA while on the Blue Ridge Parkway--you will bypass small towns, cities, people, and culture. However, maybe you want to miss all that, then the Natchez Trace or the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a good ride.
Old 06-26-10, 08:53 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Touring in the Southern US in August is likely to be a miserable experience, especially for someone not use to hot, humid weather. Frankly, It's miserable even for someone who is. Pedaling up 6% grades at 4 mph when the temp is 35 C and the humidity is 90% is very much like being in a sauna.

I'd suggest you consider coming over here in October for touring in Kentucky or Mississippi. Be cooler and less chance for rain. Or if you can't delay your visit, plan on touring in the mountainous West. Without AC, the South in summer is pretty much unbearable, day and night.
Old 06-26-10, 09:12 AM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Always good to be updated on the weather conditions. Back in March I met a fellow from Sweden (Bernd) who had started in SF and planned a cross country trip to New York. He was heading to Yosemite 1st. I told him he might run into some snow and pointed the way. I know there is still snow up there today.