Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

noobie needs a road bike under 1k

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-10, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have recently discovered weekend cycling as a great way to finally get back in shape after my back surgery last year. I own a 7 yr old trek 7500 hybrid that i finally dug out of the garage and started riding again. I decided to ride in a 65 mile charity event and have been training for a couple of months, but after some of serious group training rides, i have come to the realization that i need a road bike. I've been researching the various brands and models in my price range on this and other websites as well as visiting some LBS's and i just can't make up my mind.
These are the bikes i have looked at

Gary Fisher super rail triple...950
Fuji newest...800
Scattante r330... 650 (- 130 credit ) so basically 520
Jamis (not sure of the model)... 750

I guess my question is, is the GF really worth the extra $ for a beginner like me. I feel more comfortable buying from the LBS than Performance but will i feel the difference in the bike?
Also any other model suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-30-10, 03:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless you're going to get into some serious biking, I don't think I would spend that much. I think I would find a nice vintage bike that need a little work and fix it up.

This is my '76 Schwinn Le Tour 12.2 that I bought brand new. It's not near the bike some of the newer ones are but it is still a great bicycle.

Old 07-03-10, 01:44 AM
Ready to Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely consider the shop you are buying it from. I bought a bike from a shop that
will do minor adjustments for free for the original owner. Comes in handy when the
odd click and squeak appear. I'm lazy like that.
Old 07-03-10, 02:24 AM
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
def consider any of the brands that your LBS carries, for the same reasons mentioned above...when i was shopping around, that was def one of the deciding factors, if you plan to get serious i dont see anything wrong with your budget...but just heed our warning because it is extremely addictive

good luck on your search keep us posted on your progress
Old 07-03-10, 06:49 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by lowkey
Definitely consider the shop you are buying it from. I bought a bike from a shop that
will do minor adjustments for free for the original owner. Comes in handy when the
odd click and squeak appear. I'm lazy like that.
Yup. There's more difference between bike shops than there is between bike brands. My advice is to shop for a bike shop before you shop for a bike. Visit all of the shops in your area and ask questions until you find the right sales person. You'll know the right one when you find them.

The right sales person will help you to navigate the many different road bike variations that are available today and to get the size and adjustment right. Honestly, Neuclearfusion's bike could be the poster child for getting the size wrong.
Old 07-03-10, 08:48 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The shop I used to work for sold Jamis and Raleigh, among other brands. Gotta give two thumbs up for the Jamis (I'm guessing Ventura Sport or Comp) or the Raleigh Sport or the Grand Sport.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.