Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

SPOT GPS Locator now sends one way text msgs...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 01:03 PM
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I apologize if this has already been posted. I've been too busy of late to do more than scan this forum occasionally. However, I though this may be of interest to some folks. With this product you can let people know where you are and send 40 character text msgs from remote locations that have no other comms support. Ideal for remote bike tours, sea kayaking, backpacking, etc...

https://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/20...-communicator/
Old 01-03-12, 02:48 AM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, but alas the unit is unreliable and not well supported by its manufacturer. I had great success with it for 60 days on the GDMBR, but then it pooped out the next year after only a few days on the West coast. Trouble shooting with the manufacturer resulted in the diagnosis that "something was wrong with the unit" and since it was 14 months since its activation it was two months out of warranty and there was "nothing they could do". I subsequently learned that lack of reliability and poor customer service was a common experience.

Good thing that cell coverage is getting better, so for most bicycle touring this POS is unnecessary.
Old 01-03-12, 01:38 PM

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclesafe
Yes, but alas the unit is unreliable and not well supported by its manufacturer. I had great success with it for 60 days on the GDMBR, but then it pooped out the next year after only a few days on the West coast. Trouble shooting with the manufacturer resulted in the diagnosis that "something was wrong with the unit" and since it was 14 months since its activation it was two months out of warranty and there was "nothing they could do". I subsequently learned that lack of reliability and poor customer service was a common experience.

Good thing that cell coverage is getting better, so for most bicycle touring this POS is unnecessary.
My old style SPOT works great - never had a problem with it. Good to know you had problems with the new model. I was thinking of upgrading. Anyone else own the new SPOT?