Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Not my longest ride, but maybe my hardest

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 07:50 PM
Dan J

Bikes: 1974 Stella 10 speed, 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Or at least it seemed that way. 54 miles, 90 degrees and windy (10-20 mph). And hilly (at least for me). 2950 feet of climbing. Average 14 mph. You can look at the details here, and see how I slowed at the end. The last 15 miles I just wanted to be done.

Besides the conditions, I have some residual fatigue from the 78 miles I did last Sunday (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-report-I-fell). I had taken Monday off, did a 26 mi group ride Tuesday ( a lot of pickups), Wed off, 40 mi Thursday and 30 Friday. The last 2 rides were on relatively flat roads—some hills, but nothing bad. I had done today’s ride in May- about 15 minutes faster.

I pretty much filled my 100oz Camelbak with dilute gatorade. Drank all that. Also had a cliff bar about half way. This morning I filled my 24oz insulated Polar bottle about 2/3 with water and froze that and topped it off before I left. Drank about half that and dumped some on my head. With all the fluids, I didn’t have to stop and pee during the whole ride. I went when I got home, but there was no urgency and I didn’t really go much.

The only stop I had is when my chain came off when I was shifting into my small chainring at about 25 miles. Not sure why. I was going slow, so I fell over before I could clip out (no one saw, so I guess it didn’t really happen). Took a little bit to get the chain back on, so not really a relaxing break.

Anyway, I was really dying towards the end. I usually like to pedal hard down hills. The last 10-15 miles, I was using downhills to rest, and my cadence fell off too. I was hurting when I got home. Guess I HTFU today!
Old 07-03-10, 09:06 PM
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,476 Times in 3,222 Posts
Think of it as a recovery ride gone wrong. Home looked pretty good when you got there, I'd bet.

"(no one saw, so I guess it didn’t really happen)" uh,huh.
Old 07-03-10, 09:14 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just unlocked the link to GarminConnect if anyone's interested. Forget to do it before.
Old 07-03-10, 10:10 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek SOHO Deluxe, and 2010 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at your GarminConnect file. I am totally impressed. I hope you don't mind my asking the age at which you can maintain 163 bpm heart rate and push it to 183 bpm. I am 61 and average between 145 and 150. Maybe there is hope I can increase my average.

I also saw a max cadence above 150. I generally average about 90 but haven't ventured above 125.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and think it is fantastic for uploading to GarminConnect.

How does your battery hold out on very long rides?
Old 07-03-10, 11:09 PM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtragitt
I looked at your GarminConnect file. I am totally impressed. I hope you don't mind my asking the age at which you can maintain 163 bpm heart rate and push it to 183 bpm. I am 61 and average between 145 and 150. Maybe there is hope I can increase my average.

I also saw a max cadence above 150. I generally average about 90 but haven't ventured above 125.

I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and think it is fantastic for uploading to GarminConnect.

How does your battery hold out on very long rides?
I'll be 58 Aug 10, but as has been the subject of numerous threads, my HR is really nothing to be impressed about. I just happen to have a hi mhr-- I figure around 200. But that doesn't say anything about fitness or ability. Absolute numbers don't mean anything. It's all about percentages. I figure my threshold is about 173.

I don't think the 150 max cadence was accurate. I usually average in the mid 80s-- trying to increase that-- and about the most I ever get to is 110 (rarely).

I've never had the battery run out on any of my rides so long as it was fully charged. I think my longest ride was under 5 hours. I charge it after every ride. It is fun using Garmin Connect, but MotionBased was better. I also use CycliStats and SportsTracks. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. I wish I could get the best features of each in one program.
Old 07-04-10, 07:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
chinarider, Despite attitude and preperation there are just going to be rides where nothing ever syncs up. There are other times when things can go wonderfully after a poor start. I used to number crunch to find a reason, but there wasn't a real indicator. I think it has to do with technique, primarily how efficiently I was spinning that day.

Brad
Old 07-04-10, 09:23 AM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I don't think there is too much of a mystery. I had kind of dead legs and it was hot and windy.
Old 07-04-10, 10:10 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't see some of the data mentioned above on Garmin Connect. I see Max HR 176bpm and Max cadence 115. Both seem pretty reasonable - as does fading a little on a hilly ride on a hot and windy day. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-04-10, 10:32 AM
Dan J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I don't see some of the data mentioned above on Garmin Connect. I see Max HR 176bpm and Max cadence 115. Both seem pretty reasonable - as does fading a little on a hilly ride on a hot and windy day. Keep on keeping on.
I think gtragitt was looking at a different ride. I also think the 115 max cadence yesterday was when my chain slipped off and I was spining with no resistence. lol. Kind of like the old cartoons when someone runs over the side of a cliff & keeps running monentarily before they fall. Kind of what I felt like. I'm taking today off.
Old 07-04-10, 01:28 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny how some rides are harder than others. Sounds as though you had not fully recovered from last week so gentle rides for this week. Went out this morning and I am not as fit as I should be so took it easy. Like you I went through the water though and like you it mainly sweated out. The temp was not as high as it has been but a 15 to 20mph wind had the same effect on body fluids.

Spike Milligan