Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Definitions

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Definitions

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-10, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Definitions

This has probably been discussed ten thousand times before, but I have not found those discussions. Can someone please point me to a thread that defines a hybrid bike? Specifically, what is the distinction between a hybrid bike and a flat-bar road bike?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-10, 11:17 AM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/hybrids.htm
Old 07-05-10, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Basically a road bike with mtb handle bar and gearing. Each manufactory catagorized their Hybrids differently,they have sport Hibrids and comfort Hybrids and some in between.
Old 07-06-10, 12:58 AM

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Better to be ready to take the gloves off on this topic. I found out the hard way.....My version of a Hybrid.....
Richard
another angle
Hope this helps, but very debatable.
Richard
Old 07-06-10, 01:00 AM

Very debatable...

Better to be ready to take the gloves off on this topic. I found out the hard way.....My version of a Hybrid.....
Richard
another angle
Hope this helps, but very debatable.
Richard
Old 07-06-10, 09:16 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is no real definition that is standardised by any organisation, so the subject is still up for debate.
If we assume that "a hybrid bike" is any bike that has components from multiple bike categories, a "flat bar roadbike" is also a hybrid bike.

Wikipedia has this to say about the subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_bicycle
Old 07-06-10, 09:17 AM

Bikes: Specialized/Globe Vienna

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike that isn't a pure road bike or pure mountain bike. They can be anywhere in between that spectrum, for example, you have comfort hybrids, fast hybrids, commuter-type bikes, the list goes on...
Old 07-06-10, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMacG
This has probably been discussed ten thousand times before, but I have not found those discussions. Can someone please point me to a thread that defines a hybrid bike? Specifically, what is the distinction between a hybrid bike and a flat-bar road bike?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-10, 12:08 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
What confuses me more is for example, the bike in the video by XOXOetc, looks like a mtb to me with smooth-er tires? So when does a hybrid become a hardtail mtb? That bike looks like an older hard tail mtb. Is it when they (hybrids) have 26 inch wheels but then we have 29ers now?

My neighbors have some sort of Trekie hybrids but theirs do not have a front suspension but one has a seat post that bounces up and down when she pedals that makes her rather larger rear jiggle alarmingly. His has no front suspension, 700c wheels, no up and down pogo stick seat post and a flat bar but he sits almost upright. I dunno. Whatever.
Old 07-06-10, 04:13 PM

I Agree..

Originally Posted by Loose Chain
What confuses me more is for example, the bike in the video by XOXOetc, looks like a mtb to me with smooth-er tires? So when does a hybrid become a hardtail mtb? That bike looks like an older hard tail mtb. Is it when they (hybrids) have 26 inch wheels but then we have 29ers now?

My neighbors have some sort of Trekie hybrids but theirs do not have a front suspension but one has a seat post that bounces up and down when she pedals that makes her rather larger rear jiggle alarmingly. His has no front suspension, 700c wheels, no up and down pogo stick seat post and a flat bar but he sits almost upright. I dunno. Whatever.
I think at one time it would have been a Hardtail Mountain bike, but due to the technology
advancements we have had in Road Bikes and Mountain Bikes, it has left the open hole
for the Hybrid classification. I would not agree that anything not meant just for the Road
Racer, or Hard core Mountain Biker, be classified a Hybrid. A Beach Cruiser for example, would be what it says, a Beach Cruiser, after that comes the real gray area, comfort, commuter, flat bar Road Bike, Touring Bike, it could boil down to there are 4 or 5 kinds
of Hybrids, due to how you ride, and set up your bike. You could take one good frame, and depending on the components put on it, you will end up with some form of Hybrid. To me a
Hybrid needs be able to handle light to medium off road trails, and still ride on the road pretty well. So that would probably include most commuters( unless tires to narrow ), Touring Bikes, (which I think needs a class of there own ), and comfort bike, as long as theres
plenty of gearing, not your comfort Beach type cruiser)..So Basically, if it can Handle some off roding pretty well, and still get you down the road better than a Mountain Bike, (You more than likely have a Hybrid), I think that would be the definition of a Hybrid................
Old 07-06-10, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by badger1
I think it would come down to tire size, if there to narrow to safely handle some off roding, I would not call it a Hybrid !
If there to big, I would call it a comfort cruiser, I Think they are supposed to be a cross between a Mountain Bike and
a Road Bike, so they need to be able to both, just will not be the best at either but are great for people like me that,
might go for a 10 mile road ride, then 5 miles down a gravel road. (AND YES) a beach cruiser could do that, but not
like something with 21 or more gears, smaller tires, and possibly suspension, Hybrids should preferably have the lock out type
for when they are own the road......Richard
Old 07-06-10, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JPMacG

Thanks.

Tire size....If it can not do something like in the video ( Down Hill Gravel Road ) it would be a Road bike to me...Richard
Old 07-06-10, 04:38 PM

I Agree with your link 100 percent...Richard
Old 07-06-10, 04:57 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I do not agree with that definition at all.
It says that a hybrid bike mostly has gearing of a roadbike, although most hybrids have a 28-38-48 or similar crank, which is not found on any roadbike.
Furthermore it claims that a hybrid is made for the city ... I don't see any reason why this should be true and I haven't driven my hybrid through a city yet and hope I never will.

To me, the definition of a "hybrid bike" is much more simple:
"A hybrid bike is a bike that is versatile and up for anything ... it is not specialized for any activity but rather tries to find an equilibrium for being good enough at everything"

Exactly which components make up a hybrid bike doesn't matter I think, as long as the aim is to be good at many things at the same time: roads, tracks, forests, mountains, cobblestones, mud, night, day, rain, ...
Old 07-06-10, 06:00 PM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A hybrid, to me, is exemplified by my Sirrus: Road tires, roadish frame, mountain bike position and mountain bike gearing.

basically anything that isnt a road bike or a mountain bike...though xc mountain bikes can become hybrids really easily
Old 07-06-10, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
A hybrid, to me, is exemplified by my Sirrus: Road tires, roadish frame, mountain bike position and mountain bike gearing.

basically anything that isnt a road bike or a mountain bike...though xc mountain bikes can become hybrids really easily
OK, this my 1996ish Specialized Stumpjumper M2:

So, did putting fenders and smooth-er tires make it into a hybrid? No worries, it is back in mtb dress since I got my Surly CC.
Old 07-06-10, 09:13 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The term is a load of marketing bologna.

A hybrid is whatever the crap you want to call it.
Old 07-07-10, 02:21 PM

I agree with what you are saying,

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I do not agree with that definition at all.
It says that a hybrid bike mostly has gearing of a roadbike, although most hybrids have a 28-38-48 or similar crank, which is not found on any roadbike.
Furthermore it claims that a hybrid is made for the city ... I don't see any reason why this should be true and I haven't driven my hybrid through a city yet and hope I never will.

To me, the definition of a "hybrid bike" is much more simple:
"A hybrid bike is a bike that is versatile and up for anything ... it is not specialized for any activity but rather tries to find an equilibrium for being good enough at everything"

Exactly which components make up a hybrid bike doesn't matter I think, as long as the aim is to be good at many things at the same time: roads, tracks, forests, mountains, cobblestones, mud, night, day, rain, ...
Do it all bike....But I think you took the author a little out of context when he was talking
about the gearing of a Road Bike, he was probably just referring to multiply selections, not
specific sizes...... Richard
Old 07-07-10, 02:26 PM

So, did putting fenders and smooth-er tires make it into a hybrid? No worries, it is back in mtb dress since I got my Surly CC.
Nice Looking Bike....Richard
Old 07-07-10, 02:28 PM

Makes it a Hybrid to me.

Nice Looking Bike....Richard
Old 07-08-10, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What difference could it possibly make?
Old 07-08-10, 08:13 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Terrierman
None. It does nothing for anyone aside from those who like the the usual BF 'watering' contest among the usual water-makers.

Old 07-08-10, 09:26 AM

Your comment..

Originally Posted by The Historian
None. It does nothing for anyone aside from those who like the the usual BF 'watering' contest among the usual water-makers.
Your comment did nothing to help in the definition of a Hybrid, except throw out a
useless insult at those of us that are debating an issue, (whose doing the watering).
If you do not believe in Hybrids, why read this form, or bother posting insults on the board...not
directed at the topic, but at the people......Richard
Old 07-08-10, 09:28 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxolive
if you do not believe in hybrids....
lol!

Old 07-08-10, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Terrierman
Adding smaller tires for better road riding, fenders for committing, rack for carrying things, it did take away some of the Mountain Bikes
off Road performance, but enhanced its street riding ability. To me, that represents the traits of a Hybrid...its not the best
Road Bike, or the Most hard core Mountain Bike, but could do both well......Richard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.