Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Is Team RadioShack done?

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Is Team RadioShack done?

Old 07-09-10, 08:12 AM
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is Team RadioShack done?

As far as their chances for the overall win, is team RadioShack done at this point, barring a miracle? I'm not savvy enough to know if someone from their team can still take the overall lead. I suppose we should wait until a few monster mountain stages before writing them all off. But still, can someone from their team realistically make up all the time they've eaten?

Me
Old 07-09-10, 08:34 AM
snob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They never had a very good shot imo, but obviously Armstrong losing time on Contador and Schleck on the pave-stage doesn't improve his chance of winning. I don't think it reduced his chance by much either though.

But I really hope Team Radioshack has a life after Armstrong, would be important for the sport.
Old 07-09-10, 08:45 AM
mzd

Bikes: Orbea Mitis; early 90's Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm new to it too. but it seems as though he hasn't lost enough time to be out yet. all the GC contenders seem pretty comfortable finishing with the pack on these sprint stages. the ones fighting are those looking for the green jersey.
i think he is holding out for the mountains and the TT. he is only down 2'30" which isn't that much.
Old 07-09-10, 08:48 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Out? No.
Not looking great? Yes.
Old 07-09-10, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Theres alot of riding left and RadioShack has 3 quality riders heading into the uphills. Kloden, LL, LA. And the rest of the team is pretty solid as well. With FS gone from Saxo i think team RS has some real upward capability in theis years TdF.
Old 07-09-10, 09:00 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It's only the first week for chris' sake.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-09-10, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
2 minutes isn't some guaranteed win or loss for any of the GC riders. A lot of time can still be made up and/or lost in the mountain stages and TT.

Let it play out a bit more before sticking a fork in Team Radioshack.
Old 07-09-10, 09:08 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SunSwingsLow
Theres alot of riding left and RadioShack has 3 quality riders heading into the uphills. Kloden, LL, LA. And the rest of the team is pretty solid as well. With FS gone from Saxo i think team RS has some real upward capability in theis years TdF.
Yep, Brajkovic, Horner, Popo, Paulinho, Muravyev and Rast round out a pretty darned strong team.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-09-10, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Things always can happen. Marco Pantani put almost 10 minutes into Jan Ulrich on one mountian stage the year Marco won the Tour.

BUT from the beginning AC was a strong favorite. That he has gained time on everyone in Team RS on hte cobbles, one of the few places people were expected to put time into AC does not bode well for anyone (except AC and Vino).

In team sports during the regular season there is a line, for them a clear line, are you in control of your own fate. Simply put if you win out do you move on. For the Tour this is not a clear line, but the idea still exists. I'd say Radio Shack is no longer in control of their fate. At least not for the number 1 spot. They need AC to falter. For 2 and 3 it is premature to say. Cadel and Andy have the advantage, but Cadel has a history of folding and Andy is vunerable in the ITT.

They sure are not done when it comes to getting TV time, but on the US coverage they will get that well after they are toast for and podium spot.
Old 07-09-10, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we talking about the team competition or the battle for the MJ?
Old 07-09-10, 09:26 AM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are we talking about the team competition or the battle for the MJ?
MJ

Thanks for all the replies, sounds like a few of their riders still have a fighting chance and they'll need to prove it in the mountains. Cool.
Old 07-09-10, 09:30 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Kloden can find some climbing legs on just a couple of days he could threaten the podium as could LL. Im dont think LA can generate the power for an attack on the steeps anymore so him putting time into any of the top contenders seems unlikely to me.

I just think AC is the class of the field by so much that it just wont matter what any of the other teams do. Hes just so much better for the grand tours than anyone else right now.
Old 07-09-10, 10:01 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
If Kloden can find some climbing legs on just a couple of days he could threaten the podium as could LL. Im dont think LA can generate the power for an attack on the steeps anymore so him putting time into any of the top contenders seems unlikely to me.

I just think AC is the class of the field by so much that it just wont matter what any of the other teams do. Hes just so much better for the grand tours than anyone else right now.
Kloden is old.
Levi is a poor man's Cadel, at best.
Old 07-09-10, 11:04 AM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

If they are allowed to ride for their own placing. If they have to spend their energy helping Lance they may be too far down to even dream of a podium by hte time they are allowed to try.
Old 07-09-10, 11:09 AM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
Kloden is old.
Levi is a poor man's Cadel, at best.
Yes. The big problem is that team Radio Shack must be supplied with regular geritol shipments.
Old 07-09-10, 11:19 AM

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
Too old? Get a grip. Let the race play out, then we'll see how the "old guys" do.
Old 07-09-10, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
If they are allowed to ride for their own placing. If they have to spend their energy helping Lance they may be too far down to even dream of a podium by hte time they are allowed to try.
This.

If the discussion is "does Team Radio Shack have a shot at the yellow jersey" then we may as well just say "does LA have a shot". These guys will ride for LA, they won't be attacking they will be towing Lance until they can no longer go, then Lance will do the attacking.
Old 07-09-10, 11:55 AM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
TRS "done"? They haven't even begun

Tune in tomorrow.

- Will Rogers
Old 07-09-10, 12:09 PM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Too old? Get a grip. Let the race play out, then we'll see how the "old guys" do.
Y'all can keep pretending that age doesn't affect riders but the reality is that in the last 40 years only four riders over 30 have won the TDF and no one over the age of 36 has EVER won.
Old 07-09-10, 12:20 PM
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No one had ever won six, either, until someone did it. Things change. 50 is the new 30. (ha!)

- Will Rogers
Old 07-09-10, 12:26 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I thought the cobbles were where experience was going to give them an advantage. We have already seen how that played out.

Experience helps, but it can not overcome better younger legs unless those legs make a mistake. Getting time on the pave was their best chance to put youth into a position where mistakes were reasonably likely.
Old 07-09-10, 12:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought it was HTC-Columbia that was done? You know, the other teams figured out their strategy and Cavendish wasn't in proper form? Or was that the talking point from two days ago?

It's the 6th day of the Tour for petes sake. Talk to me in two weeks and I'll let you know who's "done".
Old 07-09-10, 01:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMF
Tune in tomorrow.
Yeah I am REALLY looking forward to Saturday and Sunday.
Old 07-09-10, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Keith99
I thought the cobbles were where experience was going to give them an advantage. We have already seen how that played out.

Experience helps, but it can not overcome better younger legs unless those legs make a mistake. Getting time on the pave was their best chance to put youth into a position where mistakes were reasonably likely.

The "old guys" were doing just fine on the Pave'. Armstrong's flat was just bad luck. Mechanical's don't discriminate by age. Look at Evans ..... he's no spring chicken either..... he did well on the Pave'.

Sure, rat shack isn't going to win the TDF, but they are still going to be one of the best teams. Youth is great and all for recovery, but for the most part young riders don't have the endurance that the older guys have. Contador is an exception, not a rule.

Look at all the TDf riders ,and see how many older riders there are, not just on rat shack.

Saying there "done" or "too old" is teenage talk. There isn't one person in this forum who could keep up with these "old guys" on their worst day and riding a 30 pound mountain bike. .. . so the smack talk is very cheap.
Old 07-09-10, 01:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The "old guys" were doing just fine on the Pave'. Armstrong's flat was just bad luck. Mechanical's don't discriminate by age. Look at Evans ..... he's no spring chicken either..... he did well on the Pave'.

Sure, rat shack isn't going to win the TDF, but they are still going to be one of the best teams. Youth is great and all for recovery, but for the most part young riders don't have the endurance that the older guys have. Contador is an exception, not a rule.

Look at all the TDf riders ,and see how many older riders there are, not just on rat shack.

Saying there "done" or "too old" is teenage talk. There isn't one person in this forum who could keep up with these "old guys" on their worst day and riding a 30 pound mountain bike. .. . so the smack talk is very cheap.
how many stage wins are you predicting?

erader

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.