Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Another Wheel Width Question

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-10, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I've now read half a dozen threads about using different widths for front and rear tires. I know it's totally okay and endorsed by Sheldon Brown. But I'm looking at some Continental SportContacts and was wondering if 28 in the rear and 37 in the front was too big of a difference. These tires will be on a 2001 Bianci Boardwalk.

Thanks! And sorry if this should have gone in the noob section (first post).
Old 07-12-10, 02:52 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
28 rear and 37 front? That sounds weird ... but if you like it that way ... who am I to judge?
Old 07-12-10, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shuacycle
So, I've now read half a dozen threads about using different widths for front and rear tires. I know it's totally okay and endorsed by Sheldon Brown. But I'm looking at some Continental SportContacts and was wondering if 28 in the rear and 37 in the front was too big of a difference. These tires will be on a 2001 Bianci Boardwalk.

Thanks! And sorry if this should have gone in the noob section (first post).
This set up won't make you bike explode, but it doesn't make any sense. The weight at the rear is only about 20% greater than the front while you are on the flat - something like a 35/38 makes sense if you therefore want equal cushioning on each tyre. Plus weight shifts to the front while going downhill...

Going narrow at the front reduces grip where it is most needed for braking and cornering and countering potholes. A jolt at the rear is just a pain in the ass; a jolt at the front can misalign your steering and put your face in the tarmac. That's not to say that 28 is too narrow... but it is if you really need 38 at the rear.

Btw Sports Contacts are nice tyres (fast!) when it is dry but lose a lot of grip in the wet. If you ride in rain I'd fit something else unless you are a very confident bike handler. I'd recommend, oh, a 35mm Marathon Supreme on each tyre. Or even a 40mm, depending on your weight and the roads you ride. A bit more expensive but longer lasting, much better puncture resistance and wet grip, and probably just as fast.

Last edited by meanwhile; 07-12-10 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-12-10, 11:43 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I am very happy with a Marathon Supreme 35 on the front, and a 40 on the rear. The ride and handling is much better with this mix, than any other sizes I tried. (45s front and rear, 45 rear-40 front,40s front and rear, 35s front and rear. This mix gives me a very nice ride, and VERY nice handling. Wet or dry - makes no difference.

If you are not taking it to the mud, what's the reason for the fatter tire on the front of your bike?

No kidding - my combo is very nice for my 190# bulk.