Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is the height of cycling silliness?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-04, 12:45 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

I can understand why some new cyclists snicker at some cycling traits...I myself would never shave my legs, wonder if it is really necessary; but then I do not look like a gorilla.
Understanding is the key most human endevors. I find cycling shorts/wicking jerseys really comfortable and necessary; but then I do ride with a person who wears loose cotton jeans, cotton shirt, even though we bought her a jersey and shorts for her birthday..( when we sit down together after a ride, I think she smells far worse than me and wonder how the hell those seems in the jeans have not eaten away her flesh, or why her rear has not welts.) And she has a lower tolerance for heat than I do. At least while riding. But , seemingly not other than riding..And I hate it hot.
I think some must just apologize for looking different, when the needs of so many cyclists is catered to by proven gear.
So my point. There still can be cycling silliness. I have riden with some real strong riders who ride with really strong race types..I overheard some comments some might think snobbery. That is ok, they can ride together...
I just get a little upset when their habits give us a bad name, like riding four abreast on a narrow country road and to hell with oncoming vehicular traffic.
But my candidate for snobbery..Those fast riders who get uppity when they see cyclists wearing their sunglasses outside of their helmet straps. Is that that big a deal. ? I never take off my glasses when riding so don't see the big deal.
What is your candidate for cycling snobbery.Heah, everyone should be able to make fun of themselves. I do.
Old 09-13-04, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Uh oh, I wear my sunglasses that way! If I wear them inside, the arms on the glasses hurt my head. Oh wait, I don't care!

I also wear my helmet with a visor while road riding.

I wear black socks on the road, and white socks off road.

I've even been seen using a Camelback on the road! Yikes!

Heck for a while, I couldn't find a pair of road shoes that felt comfy, so I wore my mtn bike shoes and swapped pedals back and forth.

The one thing that bugs me is when I approach another cyclist coming the other way and we make eye contact, I wave, and they don't. I mean how hard is it to even just extend your fingers or nod your head?

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 09-13-04, 04:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have got to agree with a2psyknut. I ride a lot of miles on the rails to trails around here and I always make it a point to wave, say "Hi", nod or something to everybody that is coming up the trail to me. Of course the ladies always get a big smile from me also, especially if there is no husband/boy friend trailing along. But I bet you, almost half of the riders never acknowledge my gesture ! They even make it a point to NOT make eye contact with you. It does not bother me because I feel they have more important things on their minds than saying "Good Morning" to some guy on a Mountain Bike. Did their Mom's not teach them any manners?
Old 09-13-04, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
If some guy is serious about his training, and his insides are screaming, and his mind is screaming 'Go,go,go'... I can't hold it against him if he doesn't hear me for all the screaming! However, a lot of them are posers worried that saying hi to an old fart might tarnish their image. As if they had one. If all you have to worry about is roadies acting socially ********; you have a good life. No worries, mate.
Old 09-13-04, 04:26 PM

Bikes: 2001 RANS Stratus, 2004 Novara Big Buzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Waving and smiling to each other while riding on the road?!?!?! Geez, that's as bad as having a triple on yer bike. ;-)

Here in Boulder County, there are a boatload of cyclists. No matter how many/few I see, I always manage at least a nod or two-finger wave from the 'bars.
Old 09-13-04, 04:34 PM
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
But my candidate for snobbery..Those fast riders who get uppity when they see cyclists wearing their sunglasses outside of their helmet straps. Is that that big a deal. ? I never take off my glasses when riding so don't see the big deal.
Wow that really is silly. I'm relatively new to cycling so I kinda want to know what these snobs are laughing about when I ride by.
Old 09-13-04, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR1/Specialized Epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by a2psyklnut
Uh oh, I wear my sunglasses that way! If I wear them inside, the arms on the glasses hurt my head. Oh wait, I don't care!

I also wear my helmet with a visor while road riding.

I wear black socks on the road, and white socks off road.

I've even been seen using a Camelback on the road! Yikes!

Heck for a while, I couldn't find a pair of road shoes that felt comfy, so I wore my mtn bike shoes and swapped pedals back and forth.

The one thing that bugs me is when I approach another cyclist coming the other way and we make eye contact, I wave, and they don't. I mean how hard is it to even just extend your fingers or nod your head?

L8R
I'm with you. I actually have spd's on both bikes, so I only have to keep up with my mtn. shoes!!

I always wear my sunglasses on the outside of the straps, 'cause I may want to take them off easily.

I wear reject coolmax socks that I got cheap online that have patterns and bright colors.

I don't care, either. Actually, I don't think other people really care what I look like, anyway. If they're worried about my attire or equipment, they have issues. I try to wave and be nice to everyone, especially on the dirt. Sometimes, though, it seems like there are millions of cyclists and runners on my route, and I feel like I spend my whole ride waving. Meh.
Old 09-13-04, 08:13 PM

If you wear your sunglasses on the outside, it is ok with me.I will still wave. But, I usually nod over wave..that and a hello I think is really commiting oneself.!
I just don't understand why sunglasses are better on the outside.? Maybe the design. Maybe the well known pros'...Getting glasses off faster for interviews...Would not want the eyes covered up. But,then often I do not take off my sunglasses for getting my picture taken. Sunglasses are cool. Sunglasses are more important than myself.
Old 09-13-04, 11:53 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 84 Trek 660 Suntour Superbe; 87 Giant Rincon Shimano XT; 07 Mercian Vincitore Campy Veloce

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not riding my bike to make a fashion statement! I think cyclist that ride wearing USPS jersey's (or any other race team jersey) are fashion idiots; good god man, they don't ride for the team and if they did their so slow they wouldn't want them around so why the jersey? Because their drugstore racers. And some of those jerseys are so gawdy looking, they should PAY ME to wear them especially since they have their product blazen across the it, and I'm essentially advertising for them. On rides under 20 miles and on coolish warm days I don't wear a jersey just a teeshirt or a golf shirt; also on those shorter rides I just wear standard shorts not made for cycling thus no padding. I have a couple of expensive jersey's (one wool) but now that I know Walmart sells 100% polyester jerseys for only $9 to $12 I've started buying those-and they work just as good as the expensive 100% polyester jerseys without the odd ball colors just white or black.
Old 09-14-04, 12:14 AM

Bikes: "Wizard" Made in Hungary ladies cruiser. Age unknown. Possibly quite old. Steve Bauer sort of a mountian bike 18spd, 5spd Venture Caprice, '74 (I think) Triumph Single Speed and a stack of frames, bits and pieces.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, how come I haven't been kicked off the road yet!? I'm out there in jeans or regular shorts, t-shirts, runners or sandals and an old nylon jacket. In winter, it's a vintage black leather jacket. Guess I should just park my bike and slink away

I really don't run into bike snobs at all, unless I'm just not noticing. Most of the bikes in this neighborhood are hauling home-made trailers full of beer cans and pop bottles. It's hardly a snooty area.
Old 09-14-04, 05:36 AM
n00b street rider

Location: North Bay Area, California, USA, Terra Firma, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster.

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I just get a little upset when their habits give us a bad name, like riding four abreast on a narrow country road and to hell with oncoming vehicular traffic...
Or how about when they are on a small bike path, 3-4 abrest(aka SUV formation), wearing USPS jerseys, on $6k bikes, and don't make room for oncomming cyclists! Man, this has happened to me 2x now on a local path, and I'm really tempted to kick some a$$ or something if it happens again. Grrrrrr! I hate those @$%&! poseurs.
Old 09-14-04, 06:00 AM
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by froze
I'm not riding my bike to make a fashion statement! I think cyclist that ride wearing USPS jersey's (or any other race team jersey) are fashion idiots; good god man, they don't ride for the team and if they did their so slow they wouldn't want them around so why the jersey? Because their drugstore racers. And some of those jerseys are so gawdy looking, they should PAY ME to wear them especially since they have their product blazen across the it, and I'm essentially advertising for them. On rides under 20 miles and on coolish warm days I don't wear a jersey just a teeshirt or a golf shirt; also on those shorter rides I just wear standard shorts not made for cycling thus no padding. I have a couple of expensive jersey's (one wool) but now that I know Walmart sells 100% polyester jerseys for only $9 to $12 I've started buying those-and they work just as good as the expensive 100% polyester jerseys without the odd ball colors just white or black.
Hey! We got a response from one of the snobs!
Old 09-14-04, 06:48 AM
Disgruntled Planner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirona
Hey! We got a response from one of the snobs!
I kinda felt the same way reading that. I wear a Phonak jersey when I'm out riding. It's not because I think I'm good enough to race for Phonak, it's cause I like the team and their jersey. However, I really don't care if other cyclists don't apporve. I've worn the Phonak while racing before. It was a birthday present from my gal, and I'll be damned if some cycling fashion police are going to make me feel like any less of a rider because I wear it. I mean... who really cares what other people wear? Sometimes I see guys wearing things like blue jeans or t-shirts when it's hot out, and I wonder how they can be comfortable; but, I certainly don't think it gives me the right to call them names. Nope, that sort of attitude stems from personal insecurities, in my opinion.

Just wear what you like and everyone else can stick their opinion.. well, you know where
Old 09-14-04, 07:15 AM
n00b street rider

Location: North Bay Area, California, USA, Terra Firma, Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster.

Bikes: Lemond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bpohl
I kinda felt the same way reading that. I wear a Phonak jersey when I'm out riding. It's not because I think I'm good enough to race for Phonak, it's cause I like the team and their jersey. However, I really don't care if other cyclists don't apporve. I've worn the Phonak while racing before. It was a birthday present from my gal, and I'll be damned if some cycling fashion police are going to make me feel like any less of a rider because I wear it. I mean... who really cares what other people wear? Sometimes I see guys wearing things like blue jeans or t-shirts when it's hot out, and I wonder how they can be comfortable; but, I certainly don't think it gives me the right to call them names. Nope, that sort of attitude stems from personal insecurities, in my opinion.

Just wear what you like and everyone else can stick their opinion.. well, you know where
Personal preferance...everyone has the right to wear what they want while cycling, be it for confort, style, lack-of-style...whatever. Hell, even the USPS wearing a$$holes I run into have the right to so so. My only opinion on the matter, is if your going to wear a Pro Team jersey, act the part and share the road. Actually, that goes equal for everyone.
Old 09-14-04, 07:43 AM

The point is we are a free people,wear what you want..Did we not hear this argument in grammar school.
I do say, like my friend..She will not try cycling clothes..Says the bike shorts we gave her feel like a diaper. Told her they are supposed to feel that way..Thats what protects your arse. So she wears jeans..That is entirely ok. But, can you imagine its effects if you routinely ride long distances . It is best we all be flexible..
I get a little miffed when our friend , she loves riding to work..Bought her a wicking jersey.Pretty plain one, too...Fits her a little loose I thought . She says it is too tight. ?
Yet, she won't go out on hot days; when I feel fine in a wicking jersey..Being stubborn is self defeating.
Wear what you want but be flexible. At least until you are sure you don't like it.
Her size fits my wife. Is it ok to ask for it back, since it is going unused.
Old 09-14-04, 08:53 AM

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lufty
Or how about when they are on a small bike path, 3-4 abrest(aka SUV formation), wearing USPS jerseys, on $6k bikes, and don't make room for oncomming cyclists! Man, this has happened to me 2x now on a local path, and I'm really tempted to kick some a$$ or something if it happens again. Grrrrrr! I hate those @$%&! poseurs.
Sounds like it's time for a game of "Chicken".... Then again, I'm a pretty big guy and not moving anywhere as fast as the formation, so I'll take less of a hit!

[rant on - and the "you" in this rant is the generic "you", not referring to anyone specific]As for team jerseys - what's the big deal? People who wear these jerseys don't feel that they can ride on their jersey's team, they just like the team. Kind of like wearing a football, baseball or hockey team jersey. What's the big deal?? Now, I realize there are some out there who wear the kits because they do think they're better than the rest of us. For them, I have no use. Nor do I lose any sleep if they don't wave or give me acceptance. I really don't care what they think. To be honest - and it's nothing personal, I don't care what any of you think - I'm out there to ride and enjoy the outdoors. If you want to get your panties in a wad about what I'm wearing/riding/using etc, then have at it. I'm not going to waste a single brain cell worrying about it. OK, maybe I'll waste one or two feeling sorry for your small pathetic life.[rant off]

I wear lycra on my MTB because it works for me. I wear MTB shoes, camelback, loose jerseys and a visor on my road bike. Because they work for me. Oh, and my sunglasses arms go wherever they wind up when I stick them on my head! Enjoy your ride, let me enjoy mine and if you don't want to ride with me (for fashion reasons) then I most certainly don't want to ride with you!

Last edited by skiahh; 09-14-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-14-04, 10:01 AM
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It takes all kinds to make the world go around. I've run into roadies who were in such a trance that if a deer had run out in front of them most likely they wouldn't even see it. I also recently had an encounter with a jogger that ended with a nice exchange of pleasantries and both of us waving as we departed ways. I try to say hello to everyone I encounter on the MUP. Ususally get a hello back from roller bladers too. People on touring/commuting bikes are generally friendly I've found. Although I'm generally too taken aback by encountering another 'bent that I sometimes stammer and stutter.

'bent Brian
Old 09-14-04, 10:17 AM

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's ridiculous for me to expect every friggin biker that passes my way to wave and smile. Who cares? I'll nod, if they don't well I'm certainly not going to take it personally. The only gripe in this thread is the one about the riders not sharing the road, that is a problem. Everything else is silly.
Bickering over the asinine crap in this thread.
Old 09-14-04, 11:07 AM
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Pivot Vault, Salsa Spearfish

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by larue
I think we have a winner, folks! (Thank you, larue)
Old 09-14-04, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteveE
I think we have a winner, folks! (Thank you, larue)
Heah, Guy..It is mean't to be frivolous...Just tongue in check..I did actually hear one really fast racer say over lunch in non condescending way the benefits of wearing glasses outside of helmet straps. I really don't care. Got my mind to wondering.
Think, a bigger point is...My friend who loves riding, has wicking clothes, yet wears cotton and complains of the heat..That is silly..Stubborness is silly.
And yes, heah, We can get carried away and be silly.
Old 09-14-04, 12:32 PM
LeMond Lives!

Bikes: In 1963 my sister taught me to ride on her girl’s frame (no wonder I shave my legs) Schwinn it was blue and it weighted a billion pounds. – Gone, 2nd bike - a Schwinn Colligate (Gold) 5 speed – Traded in, 3rd bike – 1971 Schwinn Continental (Maro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heah, Guy..It is mean't to be frivolous...Just tongue in check..I did actually hear one really fast racer say over lunch in non condescending way the benefits of wearing glasses outside of helmet straps. I really don't care. Got my mind to wondering.
The Style Man in Bicycling said to wear the glasses outside the strap. I guy I know that reps helmets said that is was not a style thing it is a safety issue. The Sunglasses can hold the straps out and make the helmet too loose in a crash. His second point was you don’t want glasses held to your head in a crash as more damage to your eyes might happen due to broken parts flying.

So I changed and I found that the Oakley’s are more comfortable outside the straps.

Cheers
Old 09-14-04, 07:21 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by larue
I think it's ridiculous for me to expect every friggin biker that passes my way to wave and smile. Who cares? I'll nod, if they don't well I'm certainly not going to take it personally. The only gripe in this thread is the one about the riders not sharing the road, that is a problem. Everything else is silly.
<applause> Some times I think there are some pretty insecure people riding bikes. Thank you for restoring my faith in the sanity of my fellow cyclists... I was beginning to worry that everyone I pass was going to obssess over whether I waved back or the color of my jersey.

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 09-14-04 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-14-04, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, dude... you lost 180+ lbs, and now ride 5:12 centuries! You rule!

Look... silliness is when you are too freakin' self-conscious to wear cycling clothes... There is a reason for the way they are designed (not including the crazy prints), and that reason is to make one (a) more comfortable on the bike, and (b) a better biker. I have friends that wear baggy shorts over their tight shorts as if someone might (ahem) check out their package (God forbid!)... I know of what I speak, I used to do the same thing!

So... while I used to disparage the folks in full-up T-Mobile duds, I have changed... I now only disparage the people who dress first and ride second. See, it's the person, not the clothing!

Keep cranking! I am impressed!
Old 09-14-04, 08:11 PM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yet again, I feel it appropo to point out a somewhat famous quote...

Originally Posted by John Postel, RFC1122
Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send.
Old 09-15-04, 12:06 AM

[QUOTE=Dusk]The Sunglasses can hold the straps out and make the helmet too loose in a crash. His second point was you don’t want glasses held to your head in a crash as more damage to your eyes might happen due to broken parts flying.

Dusk. I really blew this thread..You point out, just when I thought something frivilious , it had merit.
I just find silly those who condemn those who are really uncomfortable after they have tried something and really don't like it; and those who are so tied to convention, they won't try something that has merit.
So many of us are tied to what others think..Not me, my family advice going back two generations..Don't worry what others think of you, they are too busy worrying what others think of them..And if they are bullies to hell with them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.