Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

drum brakes

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-10, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
drum brakes

It looks like I'm getting into winter biking this year and have a couple questions on brakes. I have a '48 CCM that I think will be the victim, but lacks front brakes of any sort. I'm a big three speed fan, so it will either have coaster brakes in the back, or maybe a fixed gear hub. In the front I was looking at the Sturmey Archer x-fdd or the xl-fdd. I need to buy a dynamo/generator anyways, because lights will be legally required where and when I ride. Does anyone have any experience with these in extreme/harsh conditions? They claim to be "totally sealed against any weather condition" so it sounds pretty promising.
Old 07-20-10, 08:39 AM

Location: England, currently dividing my time between university in Guildford and home just outside Reading

Bikes: Too many to list here!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I've got the Sturmey-Archer X-FD and the X-RD3, and I've ridden them in serious amounts of rain, without any trouble. Granted, I didn't dismantle them at the time to check if they were full of water, but I've taken the front one apart once due to problems with the shoes, and there was no sign of rust or dirt, apart from a bit of brake dust. I'm not certain they're "totally sealed", but they certainly work in pretty nasty conditions.
Old 07-23-10, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This must be your bike. It looks nice, and is what I'm trying to go for with my build. I'm heading down to the local bike shop to see what they can get.
Old 08-05-10, 04:33 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Have a UK sturmey elite drum hubset, If they were not so completely reliable for the past 20 years
I'd think about the newer drum brake Dynamo Hub combination too.

26" SnowCat Rims Nokian studded tires.