Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Newbie question: What angle for the bar extensions?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Newbie question: What angle for the bar extensions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 01:51 AM

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Newbie question: What angle for the bar extensions?

Initially when I purchased my bar extensions at the LBS the shop guy had them nearly verticle. I asked him to tilt them forward. The photo shows where he left them.

I look at others on here and see the bar extensions pointing more considerably forward for many people with hybrids.

As the extensions are now I am not comfortable using them, really. Maybe if they were pointing more forward (bull horns) I'd get more use from them?

The goal for me was to give varied hand positions and maybe aid in finally heaving my big butt off the saddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trigger1..jpg (97.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-20-10, 02:57 AM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7.5 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe there's no hard and fast rule as to the degree of the angle for bar ends. I would suggest experimenting as you ride (bring along a bike tool) to find the most comfortable position for you. I originally had mine set at the near vertical angle, but switched to an approximate 35 degree.
Old 07-20-10, 04:01 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It depends on how you ride and how you use 'em.
If you are going to sit on the saddle all the time and just need barends to switch handpositions, you may want to have them pointing slightly upward.
If you are a sportive rider and want to use your barends to get off the saddle and pull on the handlebar while climbing hills (like me), you may want them pointing more forward.
I have mine at about 30 degrees i guess and find them perfect for having less strain on my wrists while climbing.
Old 07-20-10, 07:15 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I definitely prefer them pointing further forward. They put me in a nice relaxed forward position for long stretches of highway, and help me to get on top of the bike when climbing hills.

I also started with my bar ends quite vertical. I rotated them, bit by bit, until I hit that magic spot where it became very easy to move my hands from the grips to the bar ends, with no loss of control.
Old 07-20-10, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzbait
I definitely prefer them pointing further forward. They put me in a nice relaxed forward position for long stretches of highway, and help me to get on top of the bike when climbing hills.

I also started with my bar ends quite vertical. I rotated them, bit by bit, until I hit that magic spot where it became very easy to move my hands from the grips to the bar ends, with no loss of control.
+1 on this whole post. I use mine for long road sections where i don't need breaks/shifters, and for climbing. Having them pointing upwards feels odd, pointing forward (i think mine are around 45 degrees) feel just fine.
Old 07-20-10, 04:19 PM
dbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As previously mentioned, you may want to experiment with them rotated more forwards. Pick something that works for you.

Your handlebar position is already high and close to you. You may even decide to remove the bar ends.
Old 07-20-10, 05:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vertical extensions? Bizarre. Move to nearly horizontal and then work your way back up until you find your sweet spot.
Old 07-21-10, 04:05 AM

Bikes: Trek 7200 25" frame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dbc
As previously mentioned, you may want to experiment with them rotated more forwards. Pick something that works for you.

Your handlebar position is already high and close to you. You may even decide to remove the bar ends.
The handlebar is as high as it is because when I first started riding I was getting lots of numbness in my hands from leaning too heavy on the front bar. Since it is a hybrid the more upright posture is part of the design. The comfort grips from Specialized help out, some. Gloves help out, some. The extension bars are also to be in aid of varying my hand positions. I do reach out to grip the extentions when I'm sure I don't have to shift for a bit.

One more piece to the puzzle of how they are so "up in the air" is that I'm 6'6". Even with this 25" frame I have the seat up a bit and so my handlebars are up, too for the upright position.

Then again maybe I should consider a different bar style and give up on the upright riding position.
Old 07-21-10, 08:08 AM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by meanwhile
Vertical extensions? Bizarre. Move to nearly horizontal and then work your way back up until you find your sweet spot.
I agree with meanwhile. IMO the bars should sit in a position that mimics the angle that your wrists/hands would be in naturally. You don't walk around with your wrists cocked in a flexed or extended angle, therefore it only makes sense that they are most comfortable when placed in as natural a position as possible when on the bars.