Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Single Speed vs Cruiser?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Single Speed vs Cruiser?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Single Speed vs Cruiser?

Hello all,

I am looking at a couple of different options for a bike to ride around town with the kids and get a little exercise on. I originally started wanting a cruiser that looks like this (with the matte black being majorly important):
IMG_0022.JPG

Now I have seen what it will cost to get me that bike 1) buy the felt magno, have it stripped and repainted ($700+) or 2) buy the frame kit and build it from scratch ($900+).

Considering the hefty pricetag that comes with that, I am now looking at Single Speeds like the Trek Soho or Felt Brougham (both in black).

My question to you professionals, it seems like I can get a lot more bike with the Single Speed and have it be more "usable". Would you agree?

Also, any other BLACK single speeds that people would suggest?
Old 07-20-10, 12:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a Matte Black Kilo TT Stripper from bikesdirect.com. Bike was 379 Shipped. Assembled it last night and really enjoyed the first hour or so of riding it. I will be changing the saddle and peddals, but otherwise I'm very happy with the bike. The components are all silver, which may be a deal breaker for you.
Old 07-20-10, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to ride on anything but flat ground dont get the cruiser. Those bikes are gonna be 25lbs or more and really tough to make do anything but go slow on flat ground.
Old 07-20-10, 01:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized RoubaixComp27, Specialized Epic Marathon, GT Avalanche, Trek Soho S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Soho S...one of the most fun bikes to ride and made easier to really like because of my lucky low local instant gratification buy-in. Its true what they say: I feel more connected to the bike when riding fixed. As I get stronger each month (1-hour in fixed feels like 90~120minutes on my multi-speed roadbike depending on how much effort I put into the ride), I'm hankering for a more traditional geometry road-frame like the Kilo TT Pro, Wabi Special, Windsor Hour, etc., to get me in a more "aeroadynamic"(a new word I may have just invented???) position when the headwinds mock me on longer rides.

I like my Soho S...I think you might like a Soho, too.

Last edited by paipo; 07-20-10 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 01:48 PM
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're interested in the cruiser style, you could look at a Batavus BUB. Comes in matte black, singlespeed or hub gear. $600 here in Canada, built to stay outside, rain or shine. Coworker has one and he loves it.
Old 08-07-10, 10:06 PM

Bikes: Windsor TimeLine; Linus Gaston 3; Sears Free Spirit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 46 Posts
Cruisers are ok. I picked up a Trek Classic (matte black aluminum, looks really good) last month and I go all over the place with it. Hills included.

Mind you, the Soho S is really something...
Old 08-08-10, 08:50 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Cruisers are ok. I picked up a Trek Classic (matte black aluminum, looks really good) last month and I go all over the place with it. Hills included.

Mind you, the Soho S is really something...
So, I ended up finding a Felt Crass on eBay, got it for $217 (including shipping). At this price, I can ride it around and see what I think before dropping more money... I will let everyone know when I get it and what I think.
Old 08-08-10, 10:51 PM

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Congrats!

Originally Posted by dmbisbest
So, I ended up finding a Felt Crass on eBay, got it for $217 (including shipping). At this price, I can ride it around and see what I think before dropping more money... I will let everyone know when I get it and what I think.
What a coincidence that in another thread which I started, we're talking about one speed cruisers.

The Felts are really nice.

Enjoy, and please let us know how you like it.
Old 08-09-10, 07:23 PM

Man, the Felts are nice, the Revolver especially. I thought about buying their cruiser frame set and having one built-up at the LBS. Wasn't really cost effective - yet - so I bought the Trek, which I THOROUGHLY enjoy. Great job getting the Crass! Definitely let us know how it works out.

Ya know, it would be great if the Trek or Felt guys did one of these cruisers with a carbon frame, road race wheels and a single speed hub, etc. In black. Ultimate stealth bike/sleeper...
Old 08-16-10, 10:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rudypyatt
Man, the Felts are nice, the Revolver especially. I thought about buying their cruiser frame set and having one built-up at the LBS. Wasn't really cost effective - yet - so I bought the Trek, which I THOROUGHLY enjoy. Great job getting the Crass! Definitely let us know how it works out.

Ya know, it would be great if the Trek or Felt guys did one of these cruisers with a carbon frame, road race wheels and a single speed hub, etc. In black. Ultimate stealth bike/sleeper...
Funny you say, that I looked at buying the frame set also... HS, the costs add up QUICKLY.

So far, I love the Crass. I have been cruising around w the kids and going on relatively short rides. I am going to change the handlebars and paint the chainguard all black, but other than that, I am good to roll. I will post pics when I am done.

The trek is sweet. Nice purchase!
Old 09-26-10, 05:44 PM

In its habitat

The Vader bike, on the prowl...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0925101823-1CruiserRocks..jpg (65.2 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-27-10, 06:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hit wally world, k-mart or target oan get a low dough cruiser..
https://www.target.com/b/ref=br_Adult...ank=reviewrank
Old 09-27-10, 11:47 PM

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmbisbest
Hello all, I am looking at a couple of different options for a bike to ride around town with the kids and get a little exercise on.
Don't know how big or fast the kids want to ride, but the cruiser sounds like a better idea if it's around town or just the neighborhood or a park ? Wal-Mart has Huffy for $ 75 & Schwinn for around $ 150. I don't know that I'd ever pay what they want for an Electra ? The SS/FG, the posture of that is going to be uncomfortable if you trying to coax the kids as a group to keep up and stay with in a grouping ?

https://www.walmart.com/search/search....y=0&Find=Find

Last edited by fuji86; 09-27-10 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-28-10, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My Gary Fisher Klunker... now with swept back cruiser bar.

Lightweight and crusin' can be real... just feel the wind at your back, brah, as you ride!

Last edited by NormanF; 09-28-10 at 05:56 AM.