Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Any clydes have experience with SUN bents?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-10, 04:32 PM

Bikes: Had a Surly Cross Check - was totaled in recent accident. Sadly now just a Fuji Crosstown as a backup bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was looking at these two:

https://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...&cl1=RECUMBENT

and
https://www.sunbicycles.com/product_d...&cl1=RECUMBENT

Reliability and their hold up under my weight is a concern. Loaded for commute, I'd be around 320lbs. The weight limit says 300lbs - thoughts? Should I wait till I drop another 20? I'm looking at a bent for comfort. Would love to hear thoughts about the SUN bikes and experiences any clydes may have had.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-10, 12:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but someone on the recumbent forum might. Did you post there?
Old 07-26-10, 04:33 AM

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sun bikes have a reputation for being sturdily built and reliable. They are not the lightest or fastest 'bents around but that's not really an issue here. 20 lbs over isn't a big deal, the frame won't notice - go for it! Worst case is you'll need to pay extra attention to the wheels. There is a recumbent forum here on BF and also you can ask questions over at www.bentrideronline.com
Old 07-26-10, 06:17 AM
Bulky Bullet

Bikes: Burley Koosah / RANS Zenetik Pro / Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
Sun bikes have a reputation for being sturdily built and reliable. They are not the lightest or fastest 'bents around but that's not really an issue here. 20 lbs over isn't a big deal, the frame won't notice - go for it! Worst case is you'll need to pay extra attention to the wheels. There is a recumbent forum here on BF and also you can ask questions over at www.bentrideronline.com
Agree 100%. I ride a Sun recumbent as my primary mode of transportation. It is true, they are not the fastest things out there, but they are also built like tanks. Given a choice between the two you listed, I'd go with the CX. It has a more comfortable seat, it's also a little more stable and a little bit quicker due to the wheel selection. I believe these have the same tires that I do, and they are pretty bomb-proof. Just make sure you have them inflated to the proper PSI and you should be fine.

Happy riding!
Old 07-26-10, 06:27 AM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a Sun EZ-1 Supercruiser--as I mentioned in the other thread--and it's a solid dependable ride with decent components. If you shop around you might just find an older model like mine for 1/2 the price of a new one. I got mine last summer and I'm sure I was somewhere around 285-lbs at the time and the bike handled my weight no problem. The bike is heavy, and hills kinda suck on it, but I can ride all day long in comfort with a great view. I don't much like it in traffic, but that's just because I'm still a bit wobbly getting going from a stop sign, that improves greatly with riding, but lately I've been taking shorter rides on my diamond frame road bikes.