Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can I wear denim over cycling shorts and be comfortable?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-10, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Or at least more comfortable than denim alone? Cycling 10-20 miles in denim takes it's toll. I'm not much interested in aerodynamics - to me, cycling is just an economical and healthy way to get from one place to another - I want to be able to wear everything I normally wear, plus something padded between my body and my jeans to prevent discomfort.

These look fancy but will these do the same job for less?

Thanks.

Last edited by seanspotatobiz; 07-29-10 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-29-10, 07:23 AM
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Just watch for chain tattoos and make sure the fit isn't painted on.

:)ensen.
Old 07-29-10, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is rather silly that you ask us if you can wear denim over cycling shorts because you know the answer...YES and you can wear whatever you want. The problem with wearing denim or any fabric that fades and wears easily is a sweat ring around the rump. Certain fabrics don't do well and deteriorate from rubbing and sweat even with the bike shorts worn under. I have ruined two pair of pants already so I just wear designated pants and skirts.
Old 07-29-10, 11:26 AM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The downhill shorts you linked to are padded to protect in the event of a fall, you probably don't need the hip pads and they might make you look fat on your jeans.

The second link is a product that is designed for the sort of use you have in mind, a better choice for you, I think. I've used similar padded underpants and found the padding to be a bit thin, which might fit better in your jeans but doesn't provide the same amount of cushion as most bike shorts. I've purchased baggy style riding shorts with removable padded liners. I use the liners with the shorts they came in and with other pants. If you think you would get use out of the outer shorts as well as the liners, this is a good option. The shorts I have from Zoic came with thicker pads than the pairs I have from Pearl Izumi, both have thicker pads than the padded underwear I have.

Blue jeans are pretty uncomfortable on or off the bike, stiff and heavy with thick seams that are badly positioned for any sort of seated activity. Was that to keep the cowboys from falling asleep in the saddle or just a crude design? Of course, I lived in jeans as a youngster and rode many miles in 'em with normal underwear. I had a Brooks saddle on the bike of my young adulthood. Perhaps something about leather saddles and blue jeans works well together.
Old 07-30-10, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by qmsdc15

Blue jeans are pretty uncomfortable on or off the bike, stiff and heavy with thick seams that are badly positioned for any sort of seated activity. Was that to keep the cowboys from falling asleep in the saddle or just a crude design? Of course,
This

I find the seams on denims to be seriously offensive on a bike saddle, even for a short spin down to the corer store, even with a Brooks. The padded under shorts, any of them will help, but choosing a pair of pants/trousers that have flatter seams will be a much better option.
Old 07-30-10, 02:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Loose fit might be fine, Andiamo is a maker of liner shorts with crotch padding,
but they are priced about the same as some as cheap Lycra nylon shorts.

saddles with the cut out in the middle would present less of an issue with the thick center seam on most denim trousers.

I got 2 pair of cheap charity store gaberdine pants ,and had a local alterations sewing shop taper the legs, keep em out of the chain, and double the seat and they are a good alternative..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-30-10 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-31-10, 08:38 AM

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a particular need to show up at your final destination in denim? If not, I concur with what the other posters have said; wear something else.

For work (which is a situation where you don't want to be wearing lycra for any amount of time) and running errands, I ride in nylon cargo shorts (they look a bit dressier than athletic shorts, but don't have the same seam issues as a thicker fabric such as denim or even many khakis) or athletic shorts with either synthetic boxer-briefs (for sub 20 km rides-they dry faster) or a pair of the liner shorts (for longer rides when running errands). I change when I get to work, but it allows me to show up looking semi-presentable.

I have picked up all my padded liner shorts for less than $20, though I don't know what you can expect for sales on your side of the pond. Happy riding!
Old 08-02-10, 03:36 PM
One Man Fast Brick

Bikes: Specialized Langster, Bianchi San Jose, early 90s GT Karakoram, Yuba Mundo, Mercier Nano (mini velo), Nashbar Steel Commuter, KHS Tandemania Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you will get a lot more responses on the Commuter forum.
Old 08-02-10, 06:07 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcap
you will get a lot more responses on the Commuter forum.
Quality over quantity.
Old 08-02-10, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by qmsdc15

Blue jeans are pretty uncomfortable on or off the bike, stiff and heavy with thick seams that are badly positioned for any sort of seated activity. Was that to keep the cowboys from falling asleep in the saddle or just a crude design?
Not surprisingly, there's a lot about the design of a classic style of blue jeans that people don't understand. That includes many of the people who try and make copies of them, unfortunately. The flat felled seams on jeans are located at the points of maximum wear, and keep the trousers from falling apart. I agree they're not well suited for bike riding, but they're quite well suited for what they were intended to be, which was a comfortable pair of working trousers. Working doesn't involve sitting...
Old 08-05-10, 04:43 AM
The Professor

Bikes: Alex Moulton Double Pylon, Surly Big Dummy, Alex Moulton GT, AZUB TiFly

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
FWIW I started using one of these with my Big Dummy. I find I can wear pretty much whatever I have on with this saddle and chafing is not an issue. For me it works well with the BD's more upright riding position but not with my road bike, but that certainly isn't the case with everyone.
Old 08-06-10, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's one freaky saddle!
Old 08-06-10, 01:44 PM
Banned

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've seen one of those. Probably would see more if they didn't look so different. The guy who had it was very pleased with his MoonSaddle!
Old 08-06-10, 01:56 PM
Blocking your fire exits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SO and I wear mountain bike shorts during cooler weather or when we don't feel like walking into establishments in tight clothing. They have the lycra undershorts and padding, and look like cargo shorts. You can get lined/unlined versions. Like these.