Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Barrington Hills Riders BEWARE

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 07-29-10, 05:35 PM
3 seconds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There out to get you on the weekends.

https://www.pioneerlocal.com/barringt...910-s1.article
Old 07-29-10, 06:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only if you fail to abide by the rules designed for your safety.
Old 07-29-10, 08:41 PM

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate, GF 29'r, Specialized Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If one of them passes me on Breaburn, I QUIT!

Old 07-30-10, 05:06 AM
1991 PBP Anciens

Bikes: 1954 Robin Hood, 1964 Dunelt, 1968 Raleigh Superbe, 1969 Robin Hood, 197? Gitane, 1973 Raleigh SuperCourse, 1981 Miyata 710, 1990 Miyata 600GT, 2007 Rivendell Bleriot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 242 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclpsycho
If one of them passes me on Breaburn, I QUIT!

I won't feel too insulted if they just wait for me to catch my breath at Spring Creek.
Old 07-30-10, 07:28 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL, on those heavy bikes I better have no problem outriding them. So they don't have sirens. Maybe I can pretend to have an ipod in and just drop the hammer if I see one of them.
Old 07-30-10, 09:05 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah.....because it totally makes sense to ride away from the cops in an area that we ride in frequently that has an annual showdown between cyclists and residents. We wouldn't want to do anything that might make us good ambassadors of the sport or anything.

Just tell them that in typical Barrington resident fashion that the laws are for everyone else....not you.

The bigger question is that if they are remotely effective at cracking down on running stop signs, etc then how are you going to note that in your data? I mean you can't possibly compare data from not stopping at stop signs to after having to slow at stop signs.....

You might have to start training your other strength....crashing.

Old 07-30-10, 09:28 AM
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Easy there, slick.

I'm wondering if the officers on patrol will ride single file. That will be interesting to note.

Seriously, though, IMO I think this is a great move by B Hills. Bicycle cops are so much more approachable than those riding in intimidating cruisers. That was my experience when living in Chicago. It's easier for an officer on a bike to pull over and chat with locals that may be out for a jog/ride/walk than it is in a car. This should be seen not just as an anti-racer move, but as a step in the right direction for their entire community outreach from the law enforcement angle.

If I was a resident and had to deal with gaggles of cyclists attempting double rotating paceline ( ) during rush hour times, I'd be happy this was getting the attention it's getting. Sometimes I'm glad I fall off the back so quickly so I don't have to deal with this stuff.

Edit to add...
This is the wrong attitude, for sure. The Us vs. Them crap needs to stop, even in jest.

Last edited by CyLowe97; 07-30-10 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 10:10 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah.....because it totally makes sense to ride away from the cops in an area that we ride in frequently that has an annual showdown between cyclists and residents. We wouldn't want to do anything that might make us good ambassadors of the sport or anything.

Just tell them that in typical Barrington resident fashion that the laws are for everyone else....not you.

The bigger question is that if they are remotely effective at cracking down on running stop signs, etc then how are you going to note that in your data? I mean you can't possibly compare data from not stopping at stop signs to after having to slow at stop signs.....

You might have to start training your other strength....crashing.
If you're short a few bucks before refilling your prescription, let me know and I'll help you out.

I agree CyLowe, it just depends on how they want to handle it. If they are out there to harass and collect revenue through fines, then it may not work out so well. If they are doing the community outreach approach you are suggesting, going after overly aggressive riders/groups and drivers, then I think it could be good. I'll wait to see before passing any judgment.

I think what it will do is make us ride in smaller groups, and this I think is a good thing. When you have 40+ people, it is too easy to get in large clusters, taking up the whole lane, as opposed to a 10 man rotating paceline, which I do think is reasonable. Even a single paceline with one guy dropping back should be good and that is what I will try to discuss with one of the officers when I meet them. Hopefully this will fall within their "single file" legislation.
Old 07-30-10, 11:02 AM
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ColorChange
If you're short a few bucks before refilling your prescription, let me know and I'll help you out.

I agree CyLowe, it just depends on how they want to handle it. If they are out there to harass and collect revenue through fines, then it may not work out so well. If they are doing the community outreach approach you are suggesting, going after overly aggressive riders/groups and drivers, then I think it could be good. I'll wait to see before passing any judgment.

I think what it will do is make us ride in smaller groups, and this I think is a good thing. When you have 40+ people, it is too easy to get in large clusters, taking up the whole lane, as opposed to a 10 man rotating paceline, which I do think is reasonable. Even a single paceline with one guy dropping back should be good and that is what I will try to discuss with one of the officers when I meet them. Hopefully this will fall within their "single file" legislation.

I know you can never find fault in your actions, but the attitude you are conveying in these two posts:

LOL, on those heavy bikes I better have no problem outriding them. So they don't have sirens. Maybe I can pretend to have an ipod in and just drop the hammer if I see one of them.
...is the attitude that gives us a bad name, and I find personally despicable.

Just stop at the f'n stop signs and ride single file. If you don't and someone attempts to stop you for it then take it like a man instead of trying to whine you're way out of it because you disagree with it.

Your excuses are aways endless and I find them abrasive.

Old 07-30-10, 11:35 AM

Bikes: Recumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the cops aren't gong to catch up with us on their bikes,that's for damm sure,the only way they will catch is with their radio's and a road block and cars.
Old 07-30-10, 01:04 PM
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Are they going to be looking for cars that violate the 3 feet to pass law too? I got buzzed by someone and then had a minivan pull out right in front of me after not stopping for the red light/signaling his turn this week, all right by the police station.
Old 07-30-10, 01:20 PM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Are they going to be looking for cars that violate the 3 feet to pass law too? I got buzzed by someone and then had a minivan pull out right in front of me after not stopping for the red light/signaling his turn this week, all right by the police station.
Hopefully, but that's not the point.

I use to love riding those roads. Recently I refrain. Too many cyclists who act like morons taking up the entire road for no reason, stopping in the middle of the road to grab a rest, get mad when a car almost hits them as they roll a stop sign. Then many are bewildered when there is a disproportionate amount of the B'hills population (compared to everywhere else) that treat us like crap.
Old 07-30-10, 02:29 PM
Up on the Down Side

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Spring Water
Too many cyclists who act like morons taking up the entire road for no reason,
A impromtu double rotating paceline in rush hour traffic is totally a valid reason to take up the whole road!

Then many are bewildered when there is a disproportionate amount of the B'hills population (compared to everywhere else) that treat us like crap.
It's the view of those darned trees always obscuring the forest, you know.
Old 07-30-10, 07:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale H500, Pinarello Surprise

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You two play nice now.

As a somewhat expert in the field, trust me, this "patrol" will be more for show than for go. Bike patrol is a very ineffective way to patrol unless your looking for high visibility or after dark covertness. They will wave at the residents so they can feel they're getting their moneys worth but other than that, they will have a very difficult time taking any type of enforcement action, especially against vehicles. Some alderman got a hair up his butt and wants to be able to campaign that he put the bikes in the neighborhoods.
And she keeps me satisfied
Gives me all I need
Old 07-31-10, 04:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe we can hire this guy to be our blocker and destract the police.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smokey-and-the-ba.jpg (18.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-31-10, 09:38 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hoped to have a chat with the officers today to see where there heads were at, but I'm sick so no go. Tomorrow looks unlikely at this stage but I will report when I do have a chance to talk to them.
Old 07-31-10, 03:54 PM
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
A impromtu double rotating paceline in rush hour traffic is totally a valid reason to take up the whole road!

It's the view of those darned trees always obscuring the forest, you know.
you know i had let this go, but since it was brought back up let me say; i think a rotating left, into rush hour traffic, paceline 3 miles into a group ride is classic ******baggery.

later.
Old 07-31-10, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Felt Z85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one should have a problem with this. If only more communities would get involved.
Old 08-02-10, 09:16 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
I love me some south of Crown Point rotating pace lines on Wednesday nights. Barely any cars on the road and you can rotate a 10 man paceline without impeding traffic at all.
And we got a few hills to boot

Not that I added anything useful to the discussion at hand, but I thought I just throw that in for good measure. Haha.
Old 08-02-10, 09:35 AM
Up on the Down Side

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rode out there yesterday afternoon. Couple times along Ridge, up Braeburn, up River Rd and Haeger's Bend. Nary a bike cop in site.

There was a car full of teens pulled over by B Hills' finest on Plum Tree, though. Young punks probably driving two abreast and running stop signs.
Old 08-02-10, 03:03 PM

Bikes: Canyon Ultimate, GF 29'r, Specialized Crux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
There was a car full of teens pulled over by B Hills' finest on Plum Tree, though. Young punks probably driving two abreast and running stop signs.
Probably had a trunk full of landscaping lights too
Old 08-02-10, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I see this as a positive. A couple of likely things to happen: 1) Motorists know there are cops on bicycles out there so the afford maybe a little more courtesy or think twice about exhibiting poor behavior towards cyclists. 2) Cops do witness/experience poor behavior from motorists and accordingly the department cracks down on such behavior from motorists.

As a side note: Fleeing / eluding police is a felony. Does anyone seriously want to do time because they first made a bad decision not following the local traffic ordinances and then compound the mistake by trying to outrun the officers on bikes? You very probably would lose them. You won't outrun their radios.
Old 08-02-10, 10:52 PM
Fat man in a little coat

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, Trek 1.2T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally met someone at the Tour of Elk Grove who said he got a ticket in BH for 2 abreast. He beat the ticket simply because the other communities surrounding BH have a different law. North Shore cyclists and the community are seeing this now. Moronic politicians don't think before they think or sign. Like kinder said, it is just for show, Roselle does it too, and believe me, they won't even think about chasing a person on a road bike. I have tried Also I talked to some of the EG officers this weekend who were on bikes, and they said it is mainly for show as they do not give chase unless a person is on foot. It allows the officers to get closer with the community.
Old 08-03-10, 07:14 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orion, If you don't know cyclpsyco (a.k.a. mountain goat), it is in total humor that a cop could beat him up Braeburn. In that vain, my comment of pretending to have an iPod and not see them, while I take off is also intended in the same vein of HUMOR (many people need to find some).

I don't intend to do much of anything until, like I said, I talk to them. If their purpose is to break up the large, unruly groups, I'm for that. If they are there to control overly aggressive riders and drivers, I'm all for that. If there purpose is to harass cyclists to remove them from their streets, then I think plan B might be in order. What's harassment? Enforcing a single file only for a complete section of road where you can't either pass slow solo riders or drop back after a long pull from a group that is trying to ride single file.

Kimber, can I have your input on this?
Old 08-03-10, 07:18 AM
3 seconds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclpsycho
Probably had a trunk full of landscaping lights too
Psycho, did someone pinch your landscaping lights?

Finally, not sure I've ever been in a properly functioning double rotating paceline that took up the whole lane. Normally it's well less than half?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.