Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nishiki Cervino on ebay, Wow, Expensive

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 05:18 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

Maybe I'm living under a bridge or something like that. I saw this on ebay, and no it's not mine cause if I had a Cervino it wouldn't be for sale cause many of you know how I'm a Nishiki nut. But $1100? Wow, that seems a little high to me, even for a Nishiki nut. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone?
https://cgi.ebay.com/80-Nishiki-Cervi...item20b280f81f
Old 07-30-10, 05:53 PM
I drank the Kool-Aid!

Bikes: Rivendell Roadini, Rivendell Charlie Gallop Protovelo, Rivendell Clem L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
What someone has it listed for does not signify what it will sell for.
Old 07-30-10, 06:24 PM

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone RB-1, '91 Specialized Allez Epic, '85 Raleigh Team Pro, '78 Andre Bertin, early '90s F. Moser Leader AX , '85 Centurion Equipe, '98 Litespeed Tuscany, '89 Klein Quantum, '80 Nishiki Superbe, '83 Peckham, '84 Fuji Opus III

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I believe that listings such as this are increasing. The C&V awareness and market are growing and some sellers will lead the way in growing expectations. Testing the market.

More people will be asking for more money. And a number of them will succeed. More money, more attention, bigger market; repeat cycle. Bubble. LOL. For sure. Or at least a leveling off. But that time is not near, I think.

Seriously, I believe that there are many desirable, underappreciated and affordable, if not cheap, bikes yet out there that can support healthy run up in price. Parts, too.

It's interesting to watch and see.

I can't see this as an $1100 bike. In this condition it'll be lucky to go for half that. Probably between $375-500 final sale, I'd say. Lotta cleanup/refurb work.

I've got an '80 Superbe that's in nicer condition than this bike and I'd want less than $1100 but more than $550 to part with it.

Last edited by afilado; 07-30-10 at 10:26 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-11-15, 07:02 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
... I'm a Nishiki nut. But $1100? Wow, that seems a little high to me, even for a Nishiki nut. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone?
80 Nishiki Cervino Ultimate Maxima Campagnolo Road bike | eBay
Originally Posted by afilado
I believe that listings such as this are increasing. The C&V awareness and market are growing and some sellers will lead the way in growing expectations. Testing the market.

More people will be asking for more money. And a number of them will succeed. More money, more attention, bigger market; repeat cycle. Bubble. LOL. For sure. Or at least a leveling off. But that time is not near, I think.
I like my Kawamura-built Nishikis because they are/were hi-quality frames produced at a value price. And, I like them now because they are venerable -- time tested and still performing. Just as then, however, the quality of Kawamura frames is underappreciated in the eyes of riders/collectors.

Nishiki's production frames -- Pro and Comp mimicked Colnago and Cinelli front forks, respectively. Still unable to get respect at the highest level, apparently, West Coast Supply sourced few frames from Colnago (or Olmo or Viner, as the case may be).

Got mixed feelings about this:

Now that I have manage to acquire [too many] Kawamura-built Nishiki frames, including two of the elusive Serals in my size, reckon it would be really nice for the Nishiki nameplate to skyrocket in value (not that I have any intention to sell those two frames).

Specifically, in the Italian-sourced bikes, nameplate aside, Colnagos sell for big $$$. I don't necessarily like the idea that Kawamura takes a back seat to Colnago... but I, too, would: 1) Want more money for a Colnago with a Nishiki nameplate; and 2) Try to acquire a contracted Colnago on the cheap... if I were in the market for a Colnago.

Last edited by vendorz; 11-11-15 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Compulsion
Old 11-11-15, 07:20 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Just saw this Peloton actually sell for $1500. And its missing all of its original decals.

So now there are two more Pelotons for sale at a similar price.

Some of this craziness actually works.

1984 Schwinn Peloton RARE Pristine condition Team Bike 55 cm
Old 11-11-15, 08:06 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My how time flies...

Yeah, around 2005-7, I built up a Surly CrossCheck and then bought a CrossCheck Complete. I managed to get a ridiculous sale price... basically, the Complete was selling for about $950 then and about $1,100 now. Don't recall price of frame, but there was obvious inflation.

I am into the Vintage steel frames, but I am inclined to match old frames with modern components... since it costs at least $500 to get new steel... and old steel is reliable and beautiful and lugged...
Old 11-11-15, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 1962 Schwinn Paramount P12, 1971 Schwinn Paramount P13-9

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
It's a very nice looking bike and is well equipped. I would probably pay $600 max. if I were interested in it. Even if it were in mint condition, I would value it at maybe $750 as that is probably the worth of its parts if parted out.

I'm not going to say he won't get his asking price, but I seriously doubt it.
Old 11-11-15, 08:59 PM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
This thread is over 5 years old.
Old 11-11-15, 09:04 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kactus
I'm not going to say he won't get his asking price, but I seriously doubt it.
Oh, I agree... prolly won't get - now. I recall another renewed Nishiki that sat on the site for months overpriced at about $750.

As I think on it now, it may be that I paid the highest price I can recall seeing on a Nishiki. It was a 58cm Seral and I recall that two other bidders pushed me right to the end.
Old 11-11-15, 09:07 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
This thread is over 5 years old.
Yes. Isn't it great that bike forum threads live on and continue serving as resources for many years into the future for internet users with a search engine.
Likes For vendorz:
Old 11-11-15, 09:39 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's somewhat obvious he's not going to get his asking price, as that bike has been relisting for 5 years and hasn't sold. I don't think the guy wants to sell it, or the price might have come down a smidge. $1400 BIN is in heavy C&V addict territory-- a very, very small group of buyers. So maybe he does want to sell it, and is just super optimistic.