Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Vintage (late 70's) Suntour Shifter Doesn't Stay in Gear

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-10, 09:05 PM
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My late 1970's Lotus Odyssey road bike has shifters on the down tube and non-indexed shifting. There is a wire bail on the shift lever pivots - increase friction by tightening. This also makes it harder to shift. I really hate (HATE!) when the the bike changes the rear gear without any lever shifting! It will shift up one or two gears unless I have the friction bail adjuster set really tight. Naturally this happens when I'm grinding away on an uphill, exactly when I don't want to be reaching down and shifting back into a larger rear cog. This problem has existed since I bought the bike new.

Any suggestions beyond get a new bike (I actually have one, but the rear derailleur broke off and I'm waiting parts).

Thanks
Old 07-31-10, 09:16 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by hobkirk
My late 1970's Lotus Odyssey road bike has shifters on the down tube and non-indexed shifting. There is a wire bail on the shift lever pivots - increase friction by tightening. This also makes it harder to shift. I really hate (HATE!) when the the bike changes the rear gear without any lever shifting! It will shift up one or two gears unless I have the friction bail adjuster set really tight. Naturally this happens when I'm grinding away on an uphill, exactly when I don't want to be reaching down and shifting back into a larger rear cog. This problem has existed since I bought the bike new.

Any suggestions beyond get a new bike (I actually have one, but the rear derailleur broke off and I'm waiting parts).

Thanks
That's the nature of a lot of downtube friction shifters. Paradoxically, cleaning and greasing the washers inside the shifters will sometimes make them hold better and move more smoothly.

If you can find them, Suntour retrofriction shifters:
https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponen...=104&AbsPos=11
would work on your bike (although it's a little ugly if you have brazed-on shifter mounts), and would resolve your woes.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-01-10, 07:35 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I second Jeff's recommendation for Sun Tour "retrofriction" downtube levers but the clamp-on version he referenced isn't the only one. Sun Tour offered these levers in braze-on type for several of their road groups and the "Cyclone" version should be available at modest cost.

Also, any Shimano indexed downtube lever set will work since they all have a friction option. Six and 7-speed Shimano lever sets are obsolete so many bike shops will be happy to sell atheir NOS stock cheaply.

Either Sun Tour or Shimano levers will solve your "ghost shifting" problems.
Old 08-01-10, 08:56 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sun Tour racheting Power Shifters were my favorite downtube (and thumb-) shifters.
Old 08-01-10, 03:23 PM
Retired dabbler

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I second Jeff's recommendation for Sun Tour "retrofriction" downtube levers but the clamp-on version he referenced isn't the only one. Sun Tour offered these levers in braze-on type for several of their road groups and the "Cyclone" version should be available at modest cost.

Also, any Shimano indexed downtube lever set will work since they all have a friction option. Six and 7-speed Shimano lever sets are obsolete so many bike shops will be happy to sell atheir NOS stock cheaply.

Either Sun Tour or Shimano levers will solve your "ghost shifting" problems.
Available where? Although I suspect your second suggestion might be easier.

Shimano levers like these? Do they need to be 7 speed (like my gears)?

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
That's the nature of a lot of downtube friction shifters. Paradoxically, cleaning and greasing the washers inside the shifters will sometimes make them hold better and move more smoothly.
What type of grease? Regular automotive?
Old 08-01-10, 06:35 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Available where? Although I suspect your second suggestion might be easier.
Here is one source: https://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-Suntour-Spri...item3efc47c675

Shimano levers like these? Do they need to be 7 speed (like my gears)?
The Shimano shifters you referenced are the bottom of the barrel. Do you need a band-on type or does your frame have braze-on bosses? If it has braze-on bosses get better ones. 105 or Ultegra level are very good. Are your current shifters indexed? If not, then it doesn't matter what "speed" the shifters are since you will use them in friction mode.
Old 08-01-10, 08:38 PM
Retired dabbler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP here - I just want my back-up bike (which is my only bike for this week) to be more usable! I had hoped to do it without spending a lot of time or money. The $50 shifters referenced might work no better than my current shift levers - I had this problem when the bike was new. The Shimano shifters I linked to were the first ones I found when I did a Google search - I thought they looked very, very cheesy. I searched eBay - 105 Shimano shifters like these? Even though they're "indexed"? Will they have better friction?

Gee, I feel like a monster! But I just am not enough of a vintage fan. I actually prefer riding my CF bike with STI 10 speeds and real brakes. I can easily shift gears and dial them in so I keep my cadence in my target range. I've ridden the Lotus about 500 miles in the two months I've been cycling (vs. about 700 on the 2007 bike) - my only issues with the Lotus are the brakes and the shifting, but those really are pretty big issues of safety and efficiency. [I have another thread about improving the brakes.]

I did dismantle the shift lever assembly on the down tube and cleaned out the "powder" - I will find out tomorrow if it worked. Depending on how that goes, I will probably experiment with greasing the friction washers. Meantime I guess I can resign myself to knowing that I now know more about the shifting problem and can probably fine-tune my skill at dialing in the tension on the bails - maybe even "wiring" the bails with safety wire so they can't loosen from vibration and normal shifting action.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

PS - I have braze-on bosses.
Old 08-01-10, 08:54 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 706 Times in 377 Posts
OP here - I just want my back-up bike (which is my only bike for this week) to be more usable! I had hoped to do it without spending a lot of time or money. The $50 shifters referenced might work no better than my current shift levers - I had this problem when the bike was new. The Shimano shifters I linked to were the first ones I found when I did a Google search - I thought they looked very, very cheesy. I searched eBay - 105 Shimano shifters like these? Even though they're "indexed"? Will they have better friction?
Yes, those will work. Shimano downtube shifters have an "indexed/friction" switch on the right lever. Leave it on "friction" and it'll work like your old levers, only much better. They might look cheesy, but they're bulletproof. I have a set of Shimano bar-end shifters (same mechanism, different mount) that still work perfectly even though they're 20 years old.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 08-01-10, 09:20 PM

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
I had replaced my Suntour DT cyclone shifters with Campy friction shifters for that same reason. I always thought they held betterthan the lower Suntour friction shifters. Some people also prefer the simplex shifters over the campy's. Next up would probably the Suntour Superbes.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 08-08-10, 09:14 PM
STFD

Bikes: '80 Windsor Carrera Sport, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, '10 Giant Escape 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I give another vote for Suntour Power ratchet levers. You should be able to find the DT version on the 'bay for $20-25. The stem version goes for more like $15 usually, and they're probably the exact same levers. I have a couple sets of the handlebar-mount thumby version, and they're the same levers as the DT ones. I think they'd probably mount to your current shifter mounts, but maybe someone else can confirm that.

People call Suntour Power ratchet shifters "retrofriction", but I think that term more properly applies to the functionally sort-of similar (but non-ratcheting?) European (Simplex?) levers, which are a lot more expensive.

Suntour Power ratchets: cheap, excellent.