Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What shifters to put on my short tour bike?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 12:37 AM

Bikes: Masi Vincere (2011); Diamondback Interval (1993); Miyata SSCX build (c. 1990)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The bike is a GMC Denali (let's not get into that) and, having already lost the front mech shifter due to incredibly poor construction, I am completely dissatisfied with the Shimano Revos and ready for change. My university bike shop has a Parts Graveyard which means nearly any kind of shifter I can scrape from there is absolutely free--so this only leaves out brifters.

What type of shifter would be most effective for my short tours on this bike? I spend almost all my time on ~50 mile rides in the drops, so imagine that I would do similarly for 80-90 miles in a day (incredibly comfortable on this beast). I would like to minimize time that my hands are off the bars. That means bar ends, stem, and finger/thumb shifters right? Feelings on these types for touring?

As a specific question, which would be the most effective (combined with a properly adjusted mech) at "snapping" right into gear?

And then, I remember reading that DT and thumb shifters were friction...but friction works on indexed derailleurs just fine right?

Discuss please. Thank you kindly.
Old 08-03-10, 05:56 AM

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
derailleurs are derailleurs. they can be shifted by both friction and indexed shifters.

i would try bar-end shifters if i were you. some models include the ability to be either friction or index shift.
Old 08-03-10, 07:08 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As you want "snap right into gear" shifting, indexed bar ends. Only the cassette shifter is indexed on mine, but I use it in friction mode. Not sure if you can get indexed for the chainrings.