Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Origin 8 Cutler 7

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Origin 8 Cutler 7

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-10, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Origin 8 Cutler 7

Hello all. I just purchased a new Origin 8 Cutler 7 and was wondering what the general opinion of this bike is. I was looking for a new bike for a few months and did a little research, but never heard of this thing. When I went to a shop in downtown Baton Rouge, I told the guy my price range (+/- $300) and what I wanted it for. (Getting around town and some occasional rides of a few miles almost all on pavement. I also let him know I was moving to Tennessee in a few months and would be riding on a bit more hills, but would get a decent mountain bike when the time came for one. I wanted something relatively light, thin, comfortable, easy to maintain, capable of taking fenders and a rear rack, and not too expensive.) He showed me a few models and I rode around a bit and finally decided on the Origin 8 Cutler 7 for $280. I really like the thing, but there really isn't much info about it out there. Just curious about what others have to say about it.

Thanks,
Max
Old 08-03-10, 08:14 PM
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I can do is look at the website, I have no experience with Origin 8 bikes. At that price you are not going to get top notch equipment yet on the website it appears to be decently equipped for its price point. Nothing fancy, just a simple, solid ride. If you cannot get comments about that model specifically from people who know more about it in person than I do, try looking for reviews of any Origin 8 bikes. That should give you a good idea about how they are built in general. My only direct experience with Origin 8 is that I bought a pair of their drop bar ends. I did not end up liking them because they just did not give me the handlebar experience I was looking for, however they are nicely made which is good. Perhaps if they take care to do the small things right they are equally careful about the large things.

Ken
Old 08-03-10, 10:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I know I'm not gonna' get the top of the line stuff at that price, but we all gotta start with something right? Ha ha. And I looked and looked for reviews and opinions of that bike, but couldn't find a thing. Either way, from what I saw, it seemed like a well built machine and the LBS I got it at seemed like a good place and the guys that own and run it are bike guys, so if they have enough confidence to sell it, then that speaks volumes to me. So I rode it, it fit my needs and I liked it so I bought it. All that said, I'm not an expert at this. All I know is that I bought a Specialized Hardrock several years ago and I loved that thing. It was the first REAL bike I had and since that day have told anyone I know that is looking into a bike to stay away from the big-box stuff and I'll never buy a bike from those places again. I can't stand it when I hear someone say "Well a bike from Wal-Mart will get you there the same as a $600 bike." Well, a Yugo will get you there the same as a Lexus too... Same folks that drink Bud Lite and say that it is REALLY good beer. I'm picking the bike up on Thursday (because the guy offered to tune it and check it all out for me and put some fenders on for me. Try getting Wally World to do that!) I'll report on it then.
Old 08-04-10, 08:13 AM
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't find any Origin 8 bike reviews either. I think they are mostly a components house and they probably have not sold enough bikes to generate reviews. Even popular models from big manufacturers can have few reviews, or none. I think it should be a good bike for you though and do report on how it goes so the next person knows what to expect.

Ken
Old 08-04-10, 12:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Origin 8 Cykel 3 which is an entirely different bike. Origon 8 are a J&B Importers house brand. I doubt they are in wide circulation on showroom floors hence as the other posters have said, no reviews. Too many other brands with wide name recognition. But the good news is that what is there to really go wrong? If the bike fits, the components (which are largely the same as competing bikes) are on a par with similarly priced bikes, you like the bike, and can work with the shop, you're all set. My Cykel 3 is build to a level of quality similar to the garden variety Trek or other major brand. You've got a bike that's miles ahead of a department store bike.
Old 08-04-10, 08:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thought the bikes were made in Florida, but oh well. Like you said, there really isn't that much to go wrong with the thing and I'm sure it is pretty easy to add on stuff that I may want in the future. But even if not, for $280 it is still a nice bike. How is the Cykel 3?
Old 08-04-10, 10:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
A guy I work with is on an Origin 8. Nice bikes.
Old 08-05-10, 09:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>How is the Cykel 3?

So far so good. I wanted a new but traditional style 3 speed and a lot of them are available now albiet marketed to urban hipsters and priced accordingly. For $425.00 and with a lugged frame and fork to boot I figured I couldn't go wrong. I find the SRAM T3 (formerly Sachs Torpedo) runs far better than a Sturmey Archer. Spare hub parts support is sketchy though. I've got about 200 miles on it and other then dialing in the fit, no issues. Longest ride on it so far is 26 miles. I have a road bike for riding with my club and for longer road rides. I also have an old Rudge and a Phillips. I figure the Cykel 3 is good for rides say up to 50 miles where looking at the scenery is more a priority then absolute speed. (Though it's absolutely not a slug)
Old 10-10-10, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orgin 8 culter seven review - ridden all summer as commuter

I bought the Culter 7 from my lbs this spring as a commuter bike. When I went into the bike shop I told the owner that I needed a bike that had bolt on rims, a steel frame and was easy to maintain. He directed me to the Culter 7 . I have ridden this bike 18 miles a day most of the summer with no problems. I will agree that the components on this bike are low end, but so was the price. I put a rack on the back and I use panniers and I strap a full soft sided lunch box to the rack. I have one thing that I do not like. The bike is a little slow for me. I am thinking of upgrading the front crank. Just about the same time, we bought my son 13, a new bike. he picked out the Marin larkspur. The Marin has better components for a little over a $100 more. But it has an aluminum frame, quick release rims and seat.