Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Why I didn't ride today!

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Why I didn't ride today!

Old 10-03-10, 03:25 PM

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here is my story.... errrr excuse.... for not riding today.. Felt great this morning.... Temps all day have been great, maybe a high of 83. Just as I was getting myself in gear for a ride around noon, company showed up. One of the guys that goes riding with my once in awhile. We talked about riding for awhile and even even went outside and messed with my bike trying to pinpoint the ticking noise that sounds like it is coming from my bottom bracket (see did you ride today thread). Turns out one of the chain ring bolts was a tad loose, tightened that up. No test ride cus I live on a dirt/sandy road. I started feeling lousy so laid down for a bit..... and felt worse when I woke up (which is now)... Sooo no ride today I have another "pay a bill" ride planned for tomorrow though.
Old 10-05-10, 11:14 AM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Glad you got the ticking noise fixed, those drive me nuts.

I didn't ride today, sad to say. When I got back from work yesterday, I noticed a large crack on my bike's head tube... no doubt from all the standing and climbing I did on the MS150 tour this past weekend. I started stripping the bike down last night, and I will put most of my parts on to the Nishiki MTB I rescued from the trash a few months back. It doesn't have fender eyelets, though. I will have to come up with something for that. Maybe I need to spring for a rigid fork for it. (get it? "spring" for a rigid fork? Hah!)

Needless to say, my legs are itching to go ride, so I will have to come up with a new commuter bike ASAP. Worst case scenario, I can put a chain on the chopper and use that!
Old 10-05-10, 09:30 PM

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Mountain Vertex 29'r, 2007 Trek 1500 -- 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara -- 2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc (converted to touring bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ohhhhh man you did describe your bike as your "not so trusty steed"...... But that was after your ride....

<sigh> Still have the annoying tick sound..... I guess I'm going to have to take it to the shop (don't have the tools to even try and fix it myself)... I might put some other pedals on it for a ride... Just to make sure its not one of the pedals.... I don't think so..... but It will BUG me to no end if i dont check first..
Old 10-06-10, 05:12 AM
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, crank-related noises drive me batty. It could be so many things. I'd rather build wheels from scratch than track down creaking/clicking noises.

Status update on my commuter: The Nishiki's fork was shot, and it was a 1-1/8" threaded, so I swapped over the Schwinn's headset and fork last night. That took a while, headset cups are very stubborn and hard to get out. But everything else should bolt right together, so hopefully I'll have the bike finished by Friday.
Old 10-06-10, 05:58 AM
Flying Dutchman

Bikes: Trek 1.1 Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cold/ lazy/busy with college.

Meh.
Old 10-06-10, 06:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
<zzOtherlandzz>.............. Starts to look on craigslist for a bike stand... Thought about getting/looking for one for quite awhile now. A stand would make just cleaning the bike easier..... I do all my own car maintenance might as well start learning bike stuff
Old 10-06-10, 02:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't ride today cus i'm lazy.... Had an appointment set for 9am to do some work.... Waited around until 10am.. They rescheduled for 11:30am and didn't show up until noon. Soooo just got home a bit ago... Just don't feel like riding today........ <sigh>
Old 10-06-10, 04:49 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't ride today...reason... two words. BROKEN SPOKE
Old 10-07-10, 08:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
NO ride again today...... I have poor time management skills.... Ran out of time.... so no ride......
Old 10-08-10, 06:48 AM
worst hubs on the planet

Bikes: secteur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
called off work to join a buddy on his team ride. he backed out, I lost money
Old 10-10-10, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent all weekend getting ready for hunting...this included harrowing the hunting site & putting together hunting stands (including fixing them up to my likeness)...I will be riding tomorrow!
Old 10-10-10, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD & Trek Skye SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not this weekend. Spent it at the Fl Artist's Blacksmithing Conference in Barberville with hubby. Took the mountain bikes but mine never came off the truck. It was a gorgeous weekend though and I'm so sorry to have missed the Trek Breast Cancer ride. I plan on really getting some miles in next weekend as the knee is feeling great.

LindaN
Old 10-12-10, 03:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LindaN ... Glad that your knee is feeling great.... Weather is cool and your knee is good... Perfect time to get back out on the bike....

No ride for me Monday & Tuesday.... But I have plans for the next few days. Tomorrow I have a plan to ride 34 miles.... and then on Wednesday I have a plan to ride my first metric century. I think the longest I have ever ridden is 54 miles... and that was a few years (and pounds ago)... DOH!! Its crazy when I think about it really... I put at least 9k miles on my old mountain bike (mostly on the road) & 4k on the road bike and my longest ride is 54 miles.. Lots of pics when I get back.
Old 10-12-10, 03:28 PM

Bikes: '95 Specialized Hard Rock, '03 (?) Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sadly, no ride today. I had to go to a FedEx facility to pick up a package between 8-4pm. Um. If I wasn't going to be at home during those hours to accept the package, what makes you think 8-4pm is any help at all? Sheesh.
Old 10-13-10, 04:24 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took today off and just hung around the house. The daughter leaves to go home tomorrow evening so we hope to ride in the morning
Old 10-16-10, 07:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a fun thread!

Normally Commute 3-5 days a week. I have been going in early and working late. Rode Monday and Tuesday in the dark and the normally stupid drivers when there is some light seem to be even worse at 6:40am
I usually get a 20-30mile Saturday morning ride in hitting the Marietta Farmers market loop Kennesaw Mt and back home but went to the www.wingsoveratlanta.com Airshow at Dobbins . GREAT show! Canadian Snow birds, Blue Angles and the Oracle stunt plane were incredible! My little one (9) was thinking the big planes like the C5a and the B52 were impressive with how big they are. Took her into a C130 and then she got to Watch the Blue Angles C130 (Fat Albert) doing stunt flying and had some really appreciation to how big that plane was and how cool it was that it could do some of the stunts.
Old 10-16-10, 07:57 PM

Bikes: '95 Specialized Hard Rock, '03 (?) Fuji Finest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Busy all day today and probably tomorrow too. Next week will be rough. Stupid work meetings will keep me from commuting tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday we are supposed to get out at noon. Maybe I can get in a ride.
Old 10-16-10, 09:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was pretty busy all day today too, catching up on the stuff I put off for 3 days while I was gone.. Tomorrow imma ride though....

Grim... I broke down in Marietta GA years ago driving back from Florida to Michigan and got to see a FREE air show.... Hmmm well if you don't count having to get my car & trailer towed off the express way, having a u-joint repaired & getting a room for the night...... DOH!! Well okay maybe it wasn't free... but it was still a pretty cool air show....
Old 10-17-10, 07:11 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Grim... I broke down in Marietta GA years ago driving back from Florida to Michigan and got to see a FREE air show.... Hmmm well if you don't count having to get my car & trailer towed off the express way, having a u-joint repaired & getting a room for the night...... DOH!! Well okay maybe it wasn't free... but it was still a pretty cool air show....
Did you get to see "The Big Chicken" at least? LOL

You must have broke down right at Windy hill or Delk Road or got towed up to US41 to have caught the show.

I'm a Troy MI transplant (79 when I was 13). When we moved here we kept Getting directions "Make a right at the Big chicken" My folks were kind of "OK " and went wit hit...yep...its a big chicken. They wanted to tear it down and there was a revolt as nobody would be able to find their way around in both the sky (Pilots use it as reference) and ground if it was gone.
Old 10-17-10, 06:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We didn't get to see really anything the night we stayed there..... Sat in the junkyard and watched the airshow while they were fixing my car. Stayed in a REALLY bad motel within walking distance of the junkyard. I'm grew up around White Lake, Waterford, Highland & close to Pontiac for a bit.

Anway..... NO ride again today... Helped a buddy work on his car. Well work a bit, BS a bit work a bit..... somebody comes over BS some more. That kind of day..... next thing you know its dark... But I got BOTH friends conned into a ride tomorrow.... LOL....
Old 10-18-10, 06:34 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Junk Yard behind "Sound Sensations" and Krispy Cream?
Old 10-18-10, 08:13 PM
Retired & Riding

Bikes: Bottechia, Nashbar touring, Trek 3800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Need I say more !....Spent a good amount of time in the bathroom this afternoon. At least nobody can tell me I'm full of s__t.........Hope to get back on the bike Wednesday.......
Old 10-20-10, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmmmm.. Busy since I got back but also lack of motivation. I mean if i was REALLY motivated I would MAKE some time to ride. I dunno whats up with me right now. <sigh> Here is a list of excuses I thought about using, but didn't.

1. Dog ate my homework (has nothing to do with riding a bike but its a classic).
2. One or more of the following..... To windy, to hot, to cold, not enough wind, to dry, to wet, to sunny, not enough sun, to much traffic, to many hills, not enough hills.
3. To many good shows on TV.
4. Need a new bike because everybody knows that after you hit 5k on the odometer its time for a new one.....
5. No money for a new bike (see above).
6. Didn't ride because I'm tired of helmet hair.
7. Tired of riding down the trail talking to myself and people giving me weird looks. Hey I would not have to talk to myself if my friends would ride with me more often.
8. Just cleaned my bike and don't want to get it all dirty again.
9. Because my bike just looks sooooo good sitting in the kitchen.
10. Because if I rode one bike....... the other one would get lonely while we were gone....

Old 10-20-10, 03:44 PM
Slo Spoke Jim

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zzOtherlandzz
Hmmmmm.. Busy since I got back but also lack of motivation. I mean if i was REALLY motivated I would MAKE some time to ride. I dunno whats up with me right now. <sigh> Here is a list of excuses I thought about using, but didn't.

1. Dog ate my homework (has nothing to do with riding a bike but its a classic).
2. One or more of the following..... To windy, to hot, to cold, not enough wind, to dry, to wet, to sunny, not enough sun, to much traffic, to many hills, not enough hills.
3. To many good shows on TV.
4. Need a new bike because everybody knows that after you hit 5k on the odometer its time for a new one.....
5. No money for a new bike (see above).
6. Didn't ride because I'm tired of helmet hair.
7. Tired of riding down the trail talking to myself and people giving me weird looks. Hey I would not have to talk to myself if my friends would ride with me more often.
8. Just cleaned my bike and don't want to get it all dirty again.
9. Because my bike just looks sooooo good sitting in the kitchen.
10. Because if I rode one bike....... the other one would get lonely while we were gone....

Motivation level today 0, zip, nada, nothing, flat

I was looking for reasons not ride... thanks for the help
Old 10-20-10, 04:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL........ okay that made me laugh... I helped with excuses for somebody else NOT to ride...

11. I was afraid I might get a flat...... Flats are BAD..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.