Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Troy NY to Lake George

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-10, 06:46 PM

Bikes: One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Troy NY to Lake George

Next month I'm looking to hook up with my one son at RPI in Troy and bike to watch his older brother in the Lake George Triathlon. I've looked at three routes so far, but without more knowledge of the lay of the land I've no idea if this is good, bad, ugly or downright dangerous.

Anyone ever make the trip or have some local knowledge?

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/144500

Thanks
Old 08-10-10, 07:14 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of your route is along U.S. Highway 6 / NY State Highway 32. That particular road is New York State's Bicycle Route #9: https://www.nysdot.gov/portal/page/p...outes/rt9.html

The shoulder can be narrow at places, but it's definitely bikeable. As is always the case, exercise caution when sharing the road with cars.
Old 08-10-10, 07:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having only ever done that area on the Northway in a car I'm a not familiar with the NY roads in the area, is there a route taking us a bit more east while still going north which would make more sense? Or is this more or less the smartest way to go?
Old 08-11-10, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Routing is fraught with as much subjective judgement as religion and politics. I used to run a 600K brevet from NYC to Montreal that went between Troy and Lake George. My friends and I used to use the same route for a more leisurely 3 day trip from the city to Montreal. The design criteria favored fewer turns at the expense scenery. I thought it was a pretty good route for its purpose and scenery with the one caveat given below.

I'll start in Troy near where you will be picking up your son at RPI. Once your son is picked up my advice is to get out of Troy and take to the west bank of the Hudson.

Then follow NY 32, later joined by US 4 to Stillwater.
Cross back to the east bank and take CR 120 (River Rd).
Take CR 120 & CR 113 (same road different counties) to NY 29.
Cross back to the west bank on NY 29 in Schuylerville and head north on NY 32
About 3 miles on NY 32 there's a turn onto CR 29 (River Rd)
CR 29 to a right/left onto NY 197 and CR 28.
CR 28 will join NY 32/US9 in South Glens Falls
US 9 through Glens Falls to Lake George

The only bad stretch traffic-wise was the last 5 miles from Glens Falls to Lake George. This wasn't a problem for the brevet because we came through around 4 am. It was for the 3 day ride, when we came through around noon. I figure it will be worse with a triathlon. Fortunately, there's a bike path that parallels US 9.

Good luck.
Old 08-11-10, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
Routing is fraught with as much subjective judgement as religion and politics. I used to run a 600K brevet from NYC to Montreal that went between Troy and Lake George. My friends and I used to use the same route for a more leisurely 3 day trip from the city to Montreal. The design criteria favored fewer turns at the expense scenery. I thought it was a pretty good route for its purpose and scenery with the one caveat given below.

I'll start in Troy near where you will be picking up your son at RPI. Once your son is picked up my advice is to get out of Troy and take to the west bank of the Hudson.

The only bad stretch traffic-wise was the last 5 miles from Glens Falls to Lake George. This wasn't a problem for the brevet because we came through around 4 am. It was for the 3 day ride, when we came through around noon. I figure it will be worse with a triathlon. Fortunately, there's a bike path that parallels US 9.

Good luck.
This seems like a good route. I have driven all these roads and they are fine for bike travel for the most part. 29 & 32 have good shoulders. 9 is a bit busy for car travel. Yes there will be a bit of car activity from Glens Falls to Lake George, but probably nothing you haven't experienced before.

You could take 9 all the way up, but there is a lot more fast moving traffic through Saratoga County. 29 in Washington County (east side of the river) is far less traveled.
Old 08-12-10, 08:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC

Good luck.
Thank you for the insight. Yes one thing I did want to do was cut down on the amount of roadways and turns and this looks like it does that. I'll put it into ridewithgps once I get some time to sit and make sure I've got it all correct.

Thanks again! And thanks to everyone for the help.
Old 08-12-10, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SBinNYC has laid out a nice route. I would also do almost anything to avoid 4 and 9. The county and town network of roads in this area are quite nice; better pavement and less traffic than the state roads. One other county route you might consider is County 121 (River Rd) slightly north of Troy. At Mechanicville you could pick up SBinNYC's route. There is also a 9 mile bike path (Warren County Bikeway) from Glens Falls to Lake George. I've never been a big fan of bike paths, but it's certainly a lot more peaceful than route 9, and it ends right at the beach. (https://www.co.warren.ny.us/transport/bike.php)
Old 08-12-10, 07:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danacf
SBinNYC has laid out a nice route. I would also do almost anything to avoid 4 and 9. The county and town network of roads in this area are quite nice; better pavement and less traffic than the state roads. One other county route you might consider is County 121 (River Rd) slightly north of Troy. At Mechanicville you could pick up SBinNYC's route. There is also a 9 mile bike path (Warren County Bikeway) from Glens Falls to Lake George. I've never been a big fan of bike paths, but it's certainly a lot more peaceful than route 9, and it ends right at the beach. (https://www.co.warren.ny.us/transport/bike.php)
Doing the downhill into Lake George on a bike path might be the way to go......and last year I was on that path in Lake George so I have an idea of how well it's maintained. I've come up with this...... https://ridewithgps.com/routes/146865
Old 08-12-10, 08:00 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
At least for the Glens Falls to Lake George route, I'd stay off rt. 9 and use the trail. There is also rt 9L, which is OK until you hit the lake and then gets narrow and has more traffic. I never rode south of Glens Falls from my vacations on the lake.

Saratoga is worth checking out, but I don't know of any riding around there. You might check the Serotta web site. They are located in Saratoga itself and are one of the larger custom frame builders. They do a lot of riding.