Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

long rear rack extenders suitable for child seat rack? need help mounting rack

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-10, 05:21 PM

Bikes: 2010 Globe Live 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm somewhat enjoying a new Globe Live 2 (small), enjoyment dampened by the fact that my CoPilot Limo is not mounted on the bike yet!

I'm having problems mounting the included/necessary Blackburn EX-1 rack onto the bike, and would appreciate advice or comments.

The seatstays are angled pretty low on the bike placing the seatstay rack eyelets well below the top of the tire, so the rack's included 8-inch long (1.5mm thick, 5/8 inch wide) extenders are waaay too short. I estimate, to reach the eyelets, a 14 to 16 inch long extender is needed, but at such a long length, I expect the extenders to flex on any forward pressure on the rack (e.g, hard braking), yes?

Does anyone have any advice on mounting the rack?

I briefly looked at long extenders at a LBS recently, but did not have my calipers with me to see if they were appreciably thicker than what I have. If I were to use a long extender, I should probably put a hard bend as it leaves the rack to make the length down to the eyelet perfectly straight, but is this enough strength to support a child in seat?

I am also looking at a clamp onto the seatpost to place some eyelets level with the rack, but can't find something that looks especially suitable. The best I've found so far is a collar that looks like a seatpost clamp, and if so, I'll need to grind off the lip that helps the thing sit on the seat tube. (I don't have the device yet; it's on order.)

Any and all comments appreciated.

Thanks!

- Daniel
Old 08-20-10, 05:46 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I think what you ordered is actually a seat post clamp that replaces the stock clamp and gives you the higher eyelet holes you're after. As such I sure hope you ordered the one that is the same size as the one on the bike now.

And you're quite right to worry about the braces likely not being up to the job when they have to bend and reach down so far.
Old 08-20-10, 05:54 PM

Bikes: NOYB

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The straps that mount a rack to the upper stays aren't loaded, so they don't have to be that beefy. Once bolted down, those thin pieces of stainless steel are surprisingly tough - even if you need to flex them or extend them to make them fit.
I've successfully bolted two sets of straps together to mount racks on some small bikes. As long as the right type and quantity of hardware are used (ie. nylock nuts, big washers, etc.) it works fine.
Old 08-20-10, 07:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I think what you ordered is actually a seat post clamp that replaces the stock clamp and gives you the higher eyelet holes you're after.
The paper catalog product photo I saw when ordering was tiny; no details were visible. The website photo that I found afterwards shows a lip, proving it's a seatpost clamp. Assuming the 28.6mm size I ordered reflects the diameter of the wider section, unclamped, I can probably grind off the lip, use a rubber shim, and clamp it onto my 27.2mm post. Then I can fiddle with angle aluminum stock... or a straight extender... I dunno.

Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
The straps that mount a rack to the upper stays aren't loaded, so they don't have to be that beefy.
Under normal riding conditions I expect the extenders to be ok. It's the extreme case (maximal braking with a 40 lb child in the seat) that I am concerned about.

I've rented a Globe Vienna with a CoPilot mounted improperly (rack tilting forward due to short extenders) and didn't seem to have a problem during the ride. On hard braking, it was the kid's helmet hitting my back, and not the seat! (But he was about 28 lbs at the time.)
Old 08-21-10, 07:01 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by dchsueh
....I found afterwards shows a lip, proving it's a seatpost clamp. Assuming the 28.6mm size I ordered reflects the diameter of the wider section, unclamped, I can probably grind off the lip, use a rubber shim, and clamp it onto my 27.2mm post. Then I can fiddle with angle aluminum stock... or a straight extender... I dunno.
I don't think this clamp goes on the seatpost but is a clamp that goes on the seat tube to both clamp the seatpost in place and also provide an attachment point for the rack. The 28.6 mm diameter will match the OD of a 1-1/8" seattube so if your bike has a larger diameter seat tube (1-1/4"=31.8 mm or 1-3/8" = 34.9 mm) you may need a different clamp.
Old 08-21-10, 08:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.axiomgear.com/img/prod/tr...t-collar-1.jpg
Old 08-21-10, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I make my own extenders.

I use a length of 1/2" aluminum channel from Home Depot, cut it to length and make a "V" notch where it has to be bent. Much sturdier than the stays that come with the blackburn rack.
Old 09-02-10, 11:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to stumble across the Axiom Versalock long hardware kit (280mm long version not advertised on website; link is for standard version).

Worked perfectly out of the bag, and I feel very comfortable putting my kid on the child seat.

DSC_6083..jpg

--

edit: I needed to widen two of the extender holes on the rack with a 15/64 inch drill bit to accomodate the M6 screws

Last edited by dchsueh; 09-02-10 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added mounting information
Old 09-02-10, 12:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Long rack mounting struts the stainless steel strips with the end twisted 90 degrees, can be readily bent,
and should work fine ..

but as above post shows getting a whole different rack is a better stimulation of the consumer economy..
Old 09-02-10, 12:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To clarify, I did not buy a new rack; I managed to find really strong extenders to mount the original discussed EX-1 necessary to mount CoPilot seats. (The MEC clone rack will not work; PM me if you are interested why.)

I posted a follow-up in case people were interested.
Old 06-28-16, 02:23 PM

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by dchsueh
I managed to stumble across the Axiom Versalock long hardware kit (280mm long version not advertised on website; link is for standard version).

Worked perfectly out of the bag, and I feel very comfortable putting my kid on the child seat.

Attachment 168010

--

edit: I needed to widen two of the extender holes on the rack with a 15/64 inch drill bit to accomodate the M6 screws
6 years later I wanted to thank you for your post. I had the same issue as you where the steel straps weren't long enough - the rack wasn't parallel to the ground. Frankly, I also didn't feel like the straps were sturdy enough. I happen to have the Axiom DLX Disc Streamliner rack and was wondering if Axiom was selling the hardware separately and couldn't find it... found your post while searching for Blackburn rack extensions (I really hate that rack). Glad to find out that the Versalock is available - ModernBike sells it. I was able to try out the arms from the DLX rack I have and they worked perfectly, so I'll be ordering a replacement. Like you, I had to enlarge the holes for the bolts slightly
Old 06-28-16, 05:23 PM

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by Torchy McFlux
The straps that mount a rack to the upper stays aren't loaded, so they don't have to be that beefy. Once bolted down, those thin pieces of stainless steel are surprisingly tough - even if you need to flex them or extend them to make them fit.
I've successfully bolted two sets of straps together to mount racks on some small bikes. As long as the right type and quantity of hardware are used (ie. nylock nuts, big washers, etc.) it works fine.

This. Andy.