Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

saying hello to the Mike Melton fans

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-04, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm new to the bike forum. I discovered this forum while searching for Mike Melton the former frame builder. I used to work for Mike Melton as a teenager in his bike shop in the late 70's in Columbia, S.C. I owned a Melton and rode everyday with my workmates (all of us on Melton frames). Mike Melton had a modified the engine on a Motobecan so we could motor pace and draft an average of 32 MPH for about 30 miles (incredible workouts!). His wife Debbie was also a poweful rider. It's great to read the appreciation for Mike Meltons craftmanship. He inspired me to continue to be an avid rider to this day in my hometown of Oceanside, Ca.
Old 09-22-04, 04:21 PM

Bikes: fix gear beater 42 X 15, '85 Cannondale ST 500 for touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O-side? If you ride through Encinitas shout out the name Weatherby......my people will take care of you!

Say hello to Rex at Lou's Records for me and go smoke a doobie at Swami's!
Old 09-22-04, 10:53 PM
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hi chris another melton guy great .do you still have your melton ?i have a racing frame mike made for larry doering when he had a shop in ohio . what did your search come up with ? mine didnt find very much on mike.after his olympic gig mike has disappeared many people say .garry doering larrys bro has some pics of when he larry and mike made the two meltons and pics when they were finished . now getting them from gary is another story he busy racing still so it probably wont be for a little while.do you have any pics of you guys on your meltons or any pics of your melton or pics of mike you could share?im building a website but im slow as hell lol. i need a head tube decal so i can scan it and add it to my home page. u know the M with the leaves. heres some pics of gary and one with larry on the right and some guy named greg on the left lol . any way welcome to the forums
Old 09-23-04, 05:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Lofter,
Thanks For Those Vintage Pictures. No, I Did Not Keep My Melton. You Talk About A Custom Made Bike, My Melton Fitted Me Like Glove! I Loved That Bike. Too Bad I Didn't Have A Crystal Ball. You Asked About Any Updates On Mike Meltons Whereabouts...nothing. There Is A Fellow Who Used To Race For Melton Named Chris Hardwick In Columbia, S.c. He Owns A Bike Shop Called Outspoken Bicycles. He Would Probably Have Some Information. Working In Mike Meltons Bike Shop And Helping Put Those Frames Together Was A Very Unique Experience For Me As A Kid. I Wouldn't Trade Those Memories For The World!
I Ride A Steel Frame Pinarello Nowadays. I Haven't Ventured Over To Carbon Yet. I'm Set In My Ways I Guess...
Take It Easy
Chris C
Old 09-23-04, 09:13 PM
winning magazine junkie

Bikes: top end gitanes and some funky ones too

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
yup me too on the steelys, im lost when it comes to carbon fibers. hey thanks on the info too