Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

public laundromats

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

public laundromats

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
public laundromats

using these now and finding it a challenge to deal with most of my clothes not needing to be dried all the way. I take them out but they are still not qite dry.

any tips for washing drying regular clothes with cycling/exercise clothes in public laundermats.

tips/tricks/ secrets of the trade?

I miss the washer/dryer off the master bath which my ex now has exclusive use of ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-22-10 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 04:04 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Wash your regular clothes at the laundromat. Wash your cycling clothes in the shower or tub. Maybe wash the cycling clothes at the laundromat every few weeks and bring them home wet or damp and hang them on a clothes line or drying rack. Dryers and cycling clothes are enemies.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-22-10, 05:50 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Most of my cycling clothes are of the current crop of miracle fibers that will dry very quickly when hung out. Some are even dry enough to put back on right out of the washer. Cotton stuff still needs to be dried. I just recently pared my wardrobe down to the bare minimum, ease of washing and drying played a huge role. I travel extensively for work, so things that can be hand washed and dried on a shower rod overnight got to stay.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-22-10, 06:34 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I'm not sure what the issue is. Stuff that doesn't dry, run it another cycle or put less in the dryer to begin with. Segregate the plasticky clothes from the cotton so you don't bake the plasticky stuff.
Old 08-22-10, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dry in two batches. Put the jeans and towels and t-shirts in one dryer on high, and the delicate stuff in another one on low or medium. If they're not dry when the dryer stops, put in another quarter. Or take them home and hang them over the towel rack in the bathroom and they'll be dry by morning. This isn't rocket surgery.
Old 08-22-10, 08:23 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
lol, thanks guys
Old 08-22-10, 10:02 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lycra/Spandex is rubber threads in the fabric, overheat and the rubber breaks and the fabric gets strangely transparent in spots.
Old 08-23-10, 02:39 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
using these now and finding it a challenge to deal with most of my clothes not needing to be dried all the way. I take them out but they are still not qite dry.

any tips for washing drying regular clothes with cycling/exercise clothes in public laundermats.

tips/tricks/ secrets of the trade?

I don't understand the question.

-- Are you asking how to dry your clothing completely? If so, the answer is ... add an extra 10 or 20 or 30 or whatever minutes to your drying time. Or if you'd rather not do that, then take them home and hang them on the drying rack or line.

-- Or are you experiencing some embarrassment washing your cycling clothes for some reason? Is that what you're asking about?

-- Or, it just occurred to me that you might be asking about washing regular clothes and cycling clothes together ... yes, of course you can wash them together in the same washer and same drier. Why wouldn't you be able to? Clothing is clothing. I just loaded my washer with a mixture of cycling clothing and non-cycling clothing a few minutes ago, and it's in process now ... like I usually do when I wash clothes.

-- Or was there something else you were asking?
Old 08-23-10, 04:39 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Have you ever used a laundromat before?

When I started using a laundromat regularly, I asked the attendant what they did with the drop off-pick up service and the dryers. She said that they put three washer loads in each dryer for 30 minutes. Saved me a couple bucks every time I did mine. I do that now with the industrial-sized dryers in my apartment building -- they're good for 2 full washer loads (or three small ones) of regular fabric at medium heat.

I dry all my synthetics separately on delicate (not just bike gear, but some shirts, workout clothes, underwear, etc). They just don't need to be roasted, and I don't have enough room in my studio to hang them all up.
Old 08-25-10, 07:57 PM

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't understand why you can't just take your clothes over to your ex and tell her to do them. I'm sure she wouldn't mind.