Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Question for Moultoneers: When/how often/why do you break down your Moulton?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 06:52 PM
Erudite white trash

Bikes: Rivendell Clem Smith, Jr. Low, Rivendell SimpleOne, Schwinn Super Sport ('87), Velo Orange Campeur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We fold our folding bicycles at home, at our outbound destinations, and sometimes (as in the case of multi-modal commuting) at points in between. The Moulton isn't a folding bicycle, but a separable one. Its separability presumably aids in storing the bike at home, transporting it by car, stowing it in a large suitcase for travel, shipping it in a box, and perhaps other purposes that escape my imagination.

Other than storing the Moulton at home, I imagine the other circumstances I've listed are atypical. Wherefore, I write to ask the Moultoneering faction of our forum:

What are the typical circumstances in which you release the kingpin and break down your bike?

Do you break it down at home after a ride? at your outbound destination? other times or places?

I ask in part because the forthcoming TSR-2 is being positioned as a commuter bike and I'm trying to get a feel for whether it falls closer to a full size bike or a folder in everyday use. Any and all advice much appreciated.
Old 08-24-10, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lexm

I ask in part because the forthcoming TSR-2 is being positioned as a commuter bike and I'm trying to get a feel for whether it falls closer to a full size bike or a folder in everyday use. Any and all advice much appreciated.
A TSR-2 is a work of art.. as such, when not in use, it should be showcased prominently on a wall... the separable feature allows you to display it on two walls .. this feature is seldom utilized to its fullest

As much as I love Moultons, if you're thinking multi-modal commute (buses, trains, trams), it'd be the wrong bike... they do fit nicely in airline legal suitcase, so when the time comes, check it and fly to a far away place.
Old 08-24-10, 07:49 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have broken mine down on just a few occasions; coupla times for transporting in the car (Rav4 wagon) when there was a lot of other stuff, limiting space; and for packing in suitcase (see my sig linky of the New Zealand tour for a photo of it packed).

When split, the 2 halves are more cumbersome than the whole bike because of not being attached to each other. If this was to become a frequent exercise, some sort of retaining solution would be the thing to invent. So I don't consider splitting mine when doing train travel, mostly because there isn't a problem with space. If there was a space problem, I would take the Birdy.

In fact just this morning I was musing that besides the wheel size, I regard mine as a full-sizer (really a misnomer as it's full size regardless of wheel size). It is as large and almost as cumbersome as a large-wheeled bike. (But it rides a whole lot better.)
Old 08-24-10, 08:16 PM
Erudite white trash

Bikes: Rivendell Clem Smith, Jr. Low, Rivendell SimpleOne, Schwinn Super Sport ('87), Velo Orange Campeur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
As much as I love Moultons, if you're thinking multi-modal commute (buses, trains, trams), it'd be the wrong bike... they do fit nicely in airline legal suitcase, so when the time comes, check it and fly to a far away place.
I live four blocks (~1/2 mile) from my office, so I'm not thinking multi-modal. If I get one, it will have to be broken down for storage at home. (900 sq ft + 2000 books = all bikes must fold or be broken down in lexm's household) I'd also like to break it down to put in my office during the workday, but I'm not sure if twice-a-day break down is a feasible Moultoneering lifestyle option.

Many thanks for the reply.
Old 08-24-10, 08:28 PM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
In fact just this morning I was musing that besides the wheel size, I regard mine as a full-sizer (really a misnomer as it's full size regardless of wheel size). It is as large and almost as cumbersome as a large-wheeled bike. (But it rides a whole lot better.)
This is really helpful, jur. It brings home the point that while the Moulton inspired a lot of creative thinking about folding bikes, it is not a folding bike and bears only a distant family (small-wheeled) relationship to the folding bike. It is its own thing, which probably explains why the Moulton has such a devoted following.

I remain intrigued.
Old 08-24-10, 08:38 PM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A TSR-2 is a work of art.. as such, when not in use, it should be showcased prominently on a wall... the separable feature allows you to display it on two walls .. this feature is seldom utilized to its fullest
Alas, I've no walls to showcase her on. Bookcases, man. Bookcases.
Old 08-24-10, 08:48 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Alas, I've no walls to showcase her on. Bookcases, man. Bookcases.
Perhaps as artistic hanging mobiles ..
Old 08-24-10, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dearest lexm, is it not a tad premature to be lusting after a Moulton? Didn't you just start riding a folding bike two weeks ago? And isn't space at a premium with all those scholarly tomes, the spouse, and the cats in that tiny Chicago apartment? Where are you going to find room to store three bicycles? And where are you going to find the money? Consider well, my friend, before you bankrupt yourself financially and spiritually in your mad pursuit of bicycles that fold.

Last edited by Urbanis; 08-24-10 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 09:18 PM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanis
Dearest lexm, is it not a tad premature to be lusting after a Moulton? Didn't you just start riding a folding bike two weeks ago? And isn't a space at a premium with all those scholarly tomes, the spouse, and the cats in that tiny Chicago apartment? Where are you going to find room to store three bicycles? And where are you going to find the money? Consider well, my friend, before you bankrupt yourself financially and spiritually in your mad pursuit of bicycles that fold.
... ...

I almost thought you were serious.
Old 08-24-10, 09:44 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This is really helpful, jur. It brings home the point that while the Moulton inspired a lot of creative thinking about folding bikes, it is not a folding bike and bears only a distant family (small-wheeled) relationship to the folding bike. It is its own thing, which probably explains why the Moulton has such a devoted following.

I remain intrigued.
Very astute.

I sometimes get asked if the Moulton is a folding bike, and most of the time I don't know how to answer. So depending on the lack of interest to strike up a conversation (I'm a mild Asperger case, heh heh), I will answer 'yes', or if I'm more talkative, I'll say 'It's a Moulton, in a class of its own.'
Old 08-24-10, 09:53 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If there is some spare space in a closet then hanging is going to be a very good solution. Remember those pics of the Stridas hanging next to some jackets? Don't remember where that was.
Old 08-24-10, 10:03 PM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now you're talkin'!
Old 08-24-10, 10:30 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've said many times, to many people. If I were a single guy, I'd have my bikes hanging on the walls as art. The Moultons especially.
Old 08-25-10, 07:54 AM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
If there is some spare space in a closet then hanging is going to be a very good solution. Remember those pics of the Stridas hanging next to some jackets? Don't remember where that was.
I think I saw that over on the Strida Forum. Someone employed one of those hooks they use in Hong Kong and elsewhere to hang poultry in the shop window.
Old 08-25-10, 08:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanis
Dearest lexm, is it not a tad premature to be lusting after a Moulton? Didn't you just start riding a folding bike two weeks ago? And isn't space at a premium with all those scholarly tomes, the spouse, and the cats in that tiny Chicago apartment? Where are you going to find room to store three bicycles? And where are you going to find the money? Consider well, my friend, before you bankrupt yourself financially and spiritually in your mad pursuit of bicycles that fold.
Lexm has acquired not only the taste for bicycles, but unique ones as in the folding/separating variety. That is no joke in my book as least. So to answer your question of storing these bicycles in a 900 square foot apartment, how about just a 12x10 foot broken up with a large-number-of-windows-and-doors room alloted for my personal use within a 670 square foot poorly designed living unit? I did for a while until I decided to send off 2 bikes and just keep only 2 now. Where did I keep them all four of them? Anywhere I can. One was perched on top of my sewing table, a couple of them were in a good place for them and where I preferred to keep them in, and one was next to my bed which I had to climb over ever time I needed to sleep. I also stashed the one on the table underneath the table in a bag when guests arrived as in the photo below. I generally stored the sewing machines underneath the sewing table. The sewing machines were placed on the table (more acceptable to most people).

So if you really have your heart on your Moulton or some other similar bike, don't be swayed by the "where to place these bikes?" question. If you have some odd space of nooks and crannies, it could be done. Usually underneath tables or behind a chair, couch, bookcases, or the like. It does not really matter if they fold. separate, or both (i.e. Raleigh Twenty or some Bike Friday models). If you are worried about anything in your apartment being contaminated by the road debris that bikes do track in, keep the bike in a soft bag. It also keeps the cats off them (my cats like to perch on the saddles!). If you decide to store the bike underneath a bed or large table, use a Furniture Mover or Moving Dolly with Caster wheels (hidden underneath the bike in the photo) to make the bikes easy to get & save your back when you want them (one of my cats like to be pushed on the empty furniture mover/dolly).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Boardwalk Underne.jpg (95.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by folder fanatic; 08-25-10 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-25-10, 10:27 AM

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Convert your library to ebooks. Storage problem solved!
Old 08-25-10, 10:40 AM

Bikes: Too many....................

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I have the racing bike that my father rode and hung it on the ceiling with hooks so it is flat against the ceiling.
Old 08-25-10, 10:49 AM

Bikes: Xootr Swift, Dahon Speed P8, Jamis Aurora

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pictures, please!
Old 08-25-10, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the original question, I would not break down the Moulton unless I had to fit it into a suitcase. To breakdown it down to store in an apartment is doable, but that's like buying a full size bike and taking the wheels off to store in the apartment. It becomes too much of a hassle and eyesore for me. The only exception I would make would be the folding bikes that were designed to stay together in neat packages with or without a cover.
Old 08-25-10, 12:19 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I break it down for car travel when needed and have a suitcase for airline travel. I don't have a need to separate it at home.

My TSR is currently separated and in a Dahon Airporter suitcase in Oregon waiting for me for a 450 mile organized ride next month.
Old 08-26-10, 10:44 AM

Bikes: Mezzo D9, 2012 Giant Avail 2

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live four blocks (~1/2 mile) from my office, so I'm not thinking multi-modal.
Snafu is away, so someone has to deal with this.

Please do not use a bicycle for a half mile journey! You almost certainly won't save any time and you have nearly obliterated the meagre health benefits the journey would have lent you.

A half mile journey would take about 10 minutes at normal walking pace. Cycling is usually estimated to be about 3 times as fast as walking for the same effort, so you've saved yourself a whopping 6 minutes. Subtract from that the time it take you to fold/unfold or lock/unlock your bike (and remove fixtures), and you are likely to take longer, and at best the time savings would be meagre.

In places like Heidelberg, where dropping the kickstand and turning the key in the built in lock is all that is required, then you would save time by cycling, but even then, unless you were getting plenty of exercise or were planning onward journeys during the day, you'd be better off walking.

Years ago I went to a resort for work with British and American colleagues. The Americans were there before us and I was surprised and pleased to see they had hired bicycles. It turns out the cycles couldn't be taken from the resort, and it was only 5 minutes walk between most places we went in the resort. I don't think any brits bothered to hire bicycles.
Old 08-26-10, 11:32 AM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jefmcg
Snafu is away, so someone has to deal with this.

Please do not use a bicycle for a half mile journey! You almost certainly won't save any time and you have nearly obliterated the meagre health benefits the journey would have lent you. ...
Many thanks for your message, jefmcg. Yours is an admirable job of stepping in for snafu. In my book, you're Joey Bishop to her Johnny Carson.

I wouldn't take a bike to the office just for a half-mile journey. That would be silly for the reasons you identify. It's a journey I make on foot currently (barring a blizzard). However, mine isn't a typical nine-to-five, chained-to-a-desk job where the workplace is the outer limit of a (work) day's activities. The only times I have to be at school are for the classes I teach (usually 3, 6 or 9 hours a week), office hours for students (about 4 hours a week), and the occasional faculty or committee meeting. So, I can imagine riding to school, stashing my bike in my office (rather than the theft-o-rama bicycle racks my university maintains) while I teach/hold office hours/committify, and then go riding happily on to destinations I'd otherwise use mass transit for. (That's one reason why I'm interested in the breakdownability of the Moulton.)
Old 08-26-10, 11:42 AM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
(That's one reason why I'm interested in the breakdownability of the Moulton.)
Your interest in a TSR-2 is well founded for your application.. suspension for the streets .. belt drive for the cleanliness factor .. 2 speeds for the heck of it .. and no cables to the rear to disconnect.. the removal of the one kingpin ( a minute + or -) and it can be made to fit under a desk... also orange is a nice hi-vis color ..
Old 08-26-10, 12:00 PM
Erudite white trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your interest in a TSR-2 is well founded for your application.. suspension for the streets .. belt drive for the cleanliness factor .. 2 speeds for the heck of it .. and no cables to the rear to disconnect.. the removal of the one kingpin ( a minute + or -) and it can be made to fit under a desk... also orange is a nice hi-vis color ..
Like you read my mind, brother. You da man, friendly local Moulton dealer!
Old 08-26-10, 01:17 PM

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Like you read my mind, brother. You da man, friendly local Moulton dealer!
Hahaha, Local?? .. you're practically the same distance from me as you are from the factory in England ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.