Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Should I get a new or used bike

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-27-10, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just want to start by thanking the forum for helping me with my decision thus far.

I'm looking to get a single speed/fixed gear flip-flop hub bike. I looked around in some LBSs and decided to buy a bike from BD. the only problem I found was that just about every other person I read reviews from say they buy the bike and replace a whole lot of parts: pedals, wheels, crank-set and so on. will these bikes not hold up? because I dont think I would be able to afford to upgrade all my parts. (I'm looking at a strict 500 maximum) which would include buying a freewheel or fixed gear cog if it didn't come with one.(I'm looking at the Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO)

on the other hand, I could wait around refreshing craigslist for the next few weeks waiting for something good to come along.

sorry for the long post. In the end I'm just wondering if I would need to upgrade my parts if I bought a BD bike to make it ride able for me. (280lb, 5'11")

Thanks in advanced
Old 08-27-10, 11:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. Short answer: The bikes direct bikes are fine the way they are. Id expect 3-5 years out of most all of the stock components with proper care and usage.

Long Answer: The products bikes direct sells are cheap for a reason. Most of the bikes are almost exact clones of other bikes put together with closeout parts that someone won the bid on. That being said, most of those parts are quality parts. Just mid-lower range quality parts. At least on the bikes in the Fixed Gear range. ( minus the motobecane track.) People change their parts out to get the better/more stylish stuff. But the bike will ride just fine how it comes and will provide many a happy mile. If you want to upgrade thats up to you.

The Uno is a great bike. But its gearing is a bit low and on the road you might feel like your spinning as hard as you can all of the time. make sure you notice that before you order.

EDIT: https://bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_al_carb_x.htm <--- Faster, lighter, geared properly, and a sick deal.
Old 08-28-10, 11:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a Dawes SST AL and it's an amazing bike. Everything on it is stock and I've put almost 100 miles on it with no problems. All of my friends love my bike and are always asking me to let them ride it.
Old 08-29-10, 01:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the input. I think I am gonna give it one more week to see if anyone puts up a good used bike. else I'll just buy the Dawes SST AL. just last week I missed a really nice Motobecane for $200 by a few minutes so I'm hoping for another amazing deal.

Thanks Again