Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

old bike im messing around with... need advice on the bb

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-10, 06:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale r600 caad5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an old Kent 10 speed that i took apart just to mess around with. It has a cotter crankset and i was trying to figure out the bb but still abit new and some of the threads i searched through still have me a bit tosed up.

So far other than the info i just mentioned i know that the shell length is 70mm. and with the bike in the upright position the cup on the left of the bike (which from what i get is the adjustable cup) screws in (tight) clockwise or to the right. Im trying to figure out the threading system and weather or no this can be converted to a tapered crankset.
Thanks
Kurt
Old 08-28-10, 07:22 PM
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Uh oh. A cottered crank? Did you manage to get it off? I've never dealt with one of these, but hopefully these links can help you:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotters.html
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_bo-z.html#bottom
Old 08-28-10, 07:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has a lockring on the non-drive side, you need to take it off(lefty loosey) then you can pull the cup out just fine. The drive side just spins off normal.
Old 08-29-10, 01:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@fastJake Yeah I got it off (in my home country I dealt with a few of those as a kid so i went straight for the hammer lol).

Thanks Kayce I will check in the morning time. but i know the cup on the non driver side is lefty loosey and the lockring screws onto that. Im really trying to figure out what kind of threading it is and if i can convert the bike to a new bb with tapered spindle.

PS reasons i wanna do this: (1) I wanna build a my first fixie with shorter cranks and different pedals (2) The bottom bracket was completely shot (the shell is in great condition though).
Old 08-29-10, 05:57 AM

Bikes: Gios Compact Pro 10 Chorus, Gios single speed, Pedal Force RS2 10 chorus, CAAD5 10 Centaur, Diamondback dirt bike, Fuji Fixed Gear.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
can't you just install some new bearings? It would be a cool move to keep the cottered crank , IMO.
Old 08-29-10, 09:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@RoyIII thought about that but I can't. The both cups are filled with dimples and the cranks and pedals have seen their last day.
Old 08-29-10, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a good bike co-op of some sort you could go and build yourself a frankenstiened loose ball BB from their parts bin. Would be some work, but is defiantly do able.
Old 08-29-10, 10:11 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Good luck!

70 mm says "Italian bottom bracket" to me but that doesn't sound right on a Kent bike. Italian bottom brackets are also slightly larger in diameter so you should be able to determine if that's the case for sure. It's important because English bottom brackets ( my guess) use a left hand thread on the drive side. Italian bottom brackets use right hand thread on both sides.

It's important to know which way to unscrew the drive side cup because you are shortly going to learn why it's commonly called the "fixed cup". It's almost surely going to be seized into the frame. If you can, find a tool that fits the flats on the fixed cup. Then find something to hold the tool in place while you wail on it with a hammer or something (make sure that you're going the correct way) to break the BB cup loose.
Old 08-29-10, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Kayce if it comes down to that I'm going to try that (dont really know much people that work on bikes though. Haven't worked on one since i was about 12 in my home country... now I'm 24... so some help and a co-op would be good).

@Retro Grouch yeah I realized 70 spells italian which would suck. I take it you have some experience with Kent bikes. I have searched all over with no avail when it comes to finding info on them. it might be smaller than 70 because i used an old tailors measuring tape I had laying around with a metal tip and the measurments worn a good bit (only set of tools i got is the tools i used on my car). What kind of BB do the kents usually come with?

PS I will try and get the drive side bb out to tell its direction today (gotta go get some WD40 anyway... the stem is siezed in the fork).

lol I love building stuff especially when its a nice challenge. I just hope I dont hit a dead end on this BB thing cause otherwise than that it looks like I'm free and clear.
Old 08-29-10, 03:02 PM

Bikes: Swobo Folsom, Diamond Back Master TG, Mongoose Alta, Huffy Daisy Tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IIRC, Kent bikes were manufactures in Kent, Ohio in the US and later Taiwan. Thus, I am almost certain that you have 68mm wide english bb. If I am correct you should be able to use any english square taper bb as a replacement. However, there may be another bicycle manufacture who used the name Kent that I am unaware of.
In the case of removing the stem from the fork, I have heard good things about using PB Blaster, as it is much stronger than WD40.

Cheers

Last edited by lverhagen; 08-29-10 at 03:06 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 08-29-10, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey guys today I went to Time Out (bike co-op) and got alot done.

1. got the stem out of the fork
2. got the chain off.
3. got a lighter and better used stem for dirt cheap (5).
4 and last i got the drive side cup out of the bottom bracket shell. It was a left to tighten. So with the adjustable side being right to tighten and the driver side being left to tighten I guess you guys were right... it is an english (definitely liking this).

@Iverhagen this frame was made in Taiwan. Saw the little made in Taiwan sticker hanging on the bracket. thanks for the info. I also brushed the frame with a wire brush to get rid of the surface rust.

I even tried a tapered bb and it fit but didnt buy it yet because i was advised i should pick up my wheels and crank set first (is that so).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG00056-20100829-2&.jpg (58.1 KB, 53 views)
IMG00055-20100829-2&.jpg (43.4 KB, 13 views)
IMG00057-20100829-2110..jpg (75.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Yung_Dread; 08-29-10 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 08:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
k with no money to spend i decided to start sanding her down....
Attached Images
IMG00069-20100831-2301..jpg (57.1 KB, 15 views)
IMG00067-20100831-2119..jpg (39.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-01-10, 08:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By getting your wheels first it will be easier to know what size BB axle you need, which is why they suggested that.
Old 09-01-10, 05:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh well those might be one of the last things i will have money for so thats gonna be a lil way off together then. until then i guess i will prep the frame, paint it and gather the other parts.